#1 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 09 August 2003 - 02:33 PM

Had a bored moment this morning so I thought I'd mess with the Nitrons a bit more. Standard set up is 10 clicks in front and rear (18 max clicks). I've already tried 1 click front and rear (softest) and it was quite funny having the car so soft but it wallowed in a freaky sort of way. I've also already tried 17 clicks (hardest) which bacially means no suspension, first bump I hit I was convinced I'd snapped the chassis in half :lol: I think I've now sorted the perfect road setting - exactly as we had it - 10 clicks front and rear but I'm now running 12 clicks front and 11 rear and I reckon that'll be spot on for the track and essentailly replicate the Sprint set up perfectly. I'm gonna look into a Goldtrack evening session at Silverstone GP, if it looks a goodie, anyone want to join me?

#2 R1 nur

R1 nur

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Interests:Aerobatics, Cars, Bikes, Birds, having fun.

Posted 09 August 2003 - 02:46 PM

yes.

#3 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 09 August 2003 - 02:58 PM

Cool, I'll post it up in the meets section and calendar. B)

#4 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 09 August 2003 - 09:55 PM

I think I've now sorted the perfect road setting - exactly as we had it - 10 clicks front and rear

that's funny, just the same set-up I run on my spax kit.... :P

when on track, all the way to 16 clicks..... :lol:

#5 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 10 August 2003 - 07:14 AM

I think I've now sorted the perfect road setting - exactly as we had it - 10 clicks front and rear

that's funny, just the same set-up I run on my spax kit.... :P

when on track, all the way to 16 clicks..... :lol:

hehe, Guy (who owns Nitron) used to be technical main man at Spax. ;)

#6 N4VXT

N4VXT

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 06:34 PM

Thorney, So the dampings obviously better, but how much stiffer/lower are the springs, and do these match the Sprint setup? Nik

#7 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 13 August 2003 - 08:09 PM

with the Spax kit I get max 20mm lower... more than that, you'll be hitting speedbumps.... :unsure:

#8 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 08:17 PM

with the Spax kit I get max 20mm lower... more than that, you'll be hitting speedbumps.... :unsure:

Ricky

Was the Spax kit easy to fit. I'm going to attempt it this weekend. Fitted them before with ease on my se7ern style car.

Paul

#9 R1 nur

R1 nur

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 09:04 PM

Yeh I think dropping the car 50mm is OTT.

#10 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 13 August 2003 - 09:22 PM

Well I've not hit anything yet in 1000 miles and its exactly the same height as the Sprint so I reckon me and Lotus are right ;) Anyhoo, you don't have to run it as low as mine, the Nitrons allow it to be higher - up to punter.

#11 Chuck

Chuck

• PipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Home Entertainment, Computing

Posted 06 September 2003 - 08:50 PM

Any news on you camber settings yet Thorney?

#12 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 06 September 2003 - 09:07 PM

Any news on you camber settings yet Thorney?

Just been finishing some wet testing and at Oulton Park on Monday for final set up.

Once thats all done I can post all the details up. I've learnt that getting suspension right is a time consduming business.

#13 GF ORCE8

GF ORCE8

• PipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:some thankfully

Posted 06 September 2003 - 11:49 PM

hey Throney could you post some piccies before and after the lowering? would be kind :P Greets Michi

#14 streetboy

streetboy

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 09:28 AM

For those of you who are interested in camber adjustments but don't understand the principles, here's how the pros do it during testing: Camber affects how much traction the tires have with the road. To set the camber you need to evaluate the tread temperatures of the tires. To do this you'll need a tire pyrometer (?) - an instrument with a needle that is inserted just under the surface of the tire's tread. The technique is as follows: Do a couple of quick laps Stop without cooling down as soon after a corner as possible Quickly test each tire's temperature at the inside, the middle, and the outside of the tread Adjust the camber until the temperatures are even all across the tread If the tires are hotter on the inside there is too much negative camber If the tires are hotter on the outside there is too much positive camber If the tires are hotter in the middle the tire pressures are too high. Ricky/Thorney: Have either of you used this technique? Or do you rely purely on 'feel'?

#15 streetboy

streetboy

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 09:34 AM

This is a tire pyrometer by the way:

Posted Image

Not cheap at around £250 but you can get simpler one's for about £100.

#16 R1 nur

R1 nur

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 10:21 AM

First Lotus - Walsh has a laser temperature thingy. Used a technique similar to the one you posted to adjust the tyre pressures. Amazing driver. Within 30 seconds of driving my car he said the tyre pressures were probably out. I said I checked them that morning. Lo and behold they were as I set them but I read the N/A's settings not the Turbo's pressures from the manual. 3psi out!

#17 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 10:29 AM

I now use an wireless, infrared gun for tyre temps..... that's how I am coming up with the best camber/pressure setting! unless you are experienced, it's a long process tho'... but rewarding! :P B)

#18 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 07 September 2003 - 01:57 PM

For those of you who are interested in camber adjustments

Yeah, I'll be interested when I've modded it but, in the meantime, here's a question that I'd like some feedback on:

What tyre pressures would you recommend for the standard N/A set-up on track?

(A driving instructor with a tuned-up Speedster told me 2.5bar all round).

I ran it like that, but I'm really not sure about it – no time to mess about on the limited track runs I get, so would like to know what others think.

:)

#19 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 05:01 PM

What tyre pressures would you recommend for the standard N/A set-up on track?

(A driving instructor with a tuned-up Speedster told me 2.5bar all round).

I ran it like that, but I'm really not sure about it – no time to mess about on the limited track runs I get, so would like to know what others think.

:)

I was advised to try 24psi front / 26psi rear which with the Spax set at 12 clicks front/14 clicks rear gave good grip & handling at Silverstone & also feels OK on the road.

However i was also advised for better track grip to bin the re040 Bridgestones

paul

#20 waverunner

waverunner

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • Interests:Staying afloat!

Posted 08 September 2003 - 08:52 AM

However i was also advised for better track grip to bin the re040 Bridgestones

On a slightly different tack I've been trying to get hold of Bridgestone 050's which I'd read here were a new compound for the VX. My local tyre place (they are very good) drew a blank and even phoned Bridgestone in my presence and was told this compound is not designed for the VX.

I've ended up with 040's on order.

Anyone throw any light on this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users