56 replies to this topic

#1 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 13 August 2003 - 12:32 PM

I popped into a bike shop yesteray and was confronted by more than a few helmets :o I spoke to an assistant and asked for a Type 1 (given what i read on another thread) and she said Type A and Type B are old hat (ged-it!!) now. The european standard is "ACU" gold badged?? She reckoned motorsport is a long way behind bike rules and if i turned up in a £500 "ACU" Aria - its not Type 1'd, but greatly exceeds these specs, they might not let me on :beat: So, whats everyones take on this? I want a buget one 1st, but dont want to waste the money if the rules are going to change or not change next month CC

#2 ShinyAndy

ShinyAndy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,345 posts
  • Interests:Putting the world to rights on forums and teaching people how to drive properly

Posted 13 August 2003 - 04:10 PM

From a Octagon circuit and motorsport perspective then the only stipulation is a minimum of "Type A".

#3 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 04:41 PM

Also what's the preference, full face or open face. Merlin sell an open face type A at £55, Bookatrack full face at £85 Paul

#4 ShinyAndy

ShinyAndy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,345 posts
  • Interests:Putting the world to rights on forums and teaching people how to drive properly

Posted 13 August 2003 - 04:51 PM

If you ever intend to go out in a screenless car such as a Caterham, Westfield, Radical, etc then you will want a full face

If you anticipate only ever going out in tintops/softtops then you'll be fine with an open face design

That company that I mentioned before are doing full face Type A that are also ACU Gold rated for £69.99 at the moment
( Isle of Wight Motor Cycles )

#5 earlystock

earlystock

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 07:35 AM

Well first thing is stay away from that particular shop, they obviouskly have NO IDEA about helmet standards. ACU mean Auto Cycle Union, the UK motorcycle sport governing body. ACU gold is simply a sticker that allows the helmet to be used in motorcycle sport, it has NOTHING to do with EU rules. In fact they are right that Type A and Type B British standards are old hat (ha ha), but they are still valid. Type A is the better rating. The new European standard is UN/ECE 22.05 standard. Helmets with either the BS type A or B stndard OR the european designation are ALL fine, particularly for use in a car. The ACU sticker does tend to signifiy higher quality helmets, but I know for cetain that some helmets approved for car racing can not get ACU standard (open face I think can not get the rating). Best thing is to look for comfort, a recent Motorcycle News test showed that pretty well all helmets met were acceptable, and in fact many of the cheaper helmets came out better!

#6 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 09:25 AM

cheers for the assistance guys! Popped into grandprixwear at the Silverstone circuit last night on the way home to get the low down and try a few lids on... The score is "Type A" (blue sticker) and you can do all basic motorsport without fear of being turned down. Get "Type A/FR" (red sticker) and you can do most up to National level. ACU is not recognised as a standard by MSA as it isnt tested enough (only drop to head, not sides and front (i think... :huh: ) Again, check with the organiser if unsure - i rang Goldtrack who said ACU is OK. Im gonna get a type A.

#7 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 15 August 2003 - 09:26 AM

I think you need a medical forum mate. :D

#8 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 11:48 AM

I think you need a medical forum mate. :D

B) I think we ALL need a medical forum!!!

#9 VEX

VEX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 12:01 PM

Cheeky, What sort of price where the type A helmets? I am not sure the ones I can get are type A, I think they are just ACU! Still waiting for a reply. Chris

#10 Huntsman

Huntsman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Cars, Skiing, Squash, Motorbikes, Rabbits - all that kind of stuff.

Posted 15 August 2003 - 01:27 PM

Been having a look around:

Biketrade
FM Helmets
Grand Prix Racewear
Hein-Gericke
Customlids

I'm off to Hein Gericke next week with my biker boss to see what fits :beat: - then it's price-comparison time!!!

:ph34r:

#11 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 01:49 PM

Grandprixracewear showed me IMO "best trackday" helmet - a sparco formula(type A/FR) for £207 :o You could use this to race upto national level though... I asked for some budget models that they had advertised on the web - HISL clubman helmets for £65 or £75. He said "utter crap..." "but i did actually have one as my first helmet :) " Hmm, good enough for me then as a 1st lid! But they hadnt the right size. I have though, seen them on another website slightly cheaper (i think). I have definitely seen other Type A's (with out fire retardent "FR") for £50+... He was very helpful though, showing me the dif between basic and expensive lids. He also laughed at the missus fanny-ing around in a sparco seat with 4point harness :D Would def go back for a "proper" motorsport lid

#12 earlystock

earlystock

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 01:57 PM

Might be worth taking a look at my previous post. ACU is just for bike racing, BUT, ALL ACU approved helmets are type A. Most fibre glass helmets are type A, most polycarbonate (plastic) are type B. The main difference is a solvent smear test (plastic can be affected by chemicals) ANY of these helmets will be OK for track days (the ones they tend to hire are cheap and cheerfull. The main difference between Car motorsport and bike helmets are the level of fireproofness. Not often you get trapped on a burning bike! Again, if all you want is a track day helmet, go for the one that feels best, they ALL have adequate crash protection. If you are worried about fire get a proper (car) motorsport approved helmet.

#13 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 02:26 PM

ACU is just for bike racing, BUT, ALL ACU approved helmets are type A.

I disagree - from what i read MSA has not approved ACU helmets as satisfactory for Type A because ACU only includes 1 test to the top of the helmet as standard - it doesnt include side impacts.

http://www.motorcycl...k/Section03.pdf also says that type A and B is acceptable for ACU. So that means ACU is only Type B or above...
http://www.barc.net/pembrey.htm - "Drivers must wear helmets complying with MSA regulation Q10" or "Riders must wear ACU approved helmets"

If you rock up to a circuit and they require type A and it doesnt have the blue sticker, then you cant drive. Anyway, we are off the point now, most trackdays are type B :) I checked with Goldtrack and type B/ACU is ok!!

#14 earlystock

earlystock

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 11:21 AM

OK...todays challenge, find a BS type B helmet with an ACO gold sticker on it...I bet you wont. I guess the answer is buy what you want!

#15 Huntsman

Huntsman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Cars, Skiing, Squash, Motorbikes, Rabbits - all that kind of stuff.

Posted 18 August 2003 - 11:41 AM

:blink: Just to confuse matters even more :blink: I just spoke with the MSA who tell me that Snell 2000 or BS Type A helmets are acceptable, but ECE22.05 aren't. :ph34r: Decisions, decisions.....

#16 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 11:57 AM

:blink: Just to confuse matters even more :blink:

I just spoke with the MSA who tell me that Snell 2000 or BS Type A helmets are acceptable, but ECE22.05 aren't.

:ph34r: Decisions, decisions.....

Dont worry, EC22.05 is ACU :)

#17 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 12:43 PM

What a b*ggers muddle!!! Called at a bike shop today. most helmets were marked ACU and euromarked E11. Only a few with BS kite mark. The guy there says that all standards are changing but to be sure check with the organisers since he knows someone who wasn't permitted to use his helmet on track since there was no BS kite mark. (but did have ACU gold sticker & E11 mark)

#18 Huntsman

Huntsman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 01:08 PM

Called at a bike shop today. most helmets were marked ACU and euromarked E11. Only a few with BS kite mark. The guy there says that all standards are changing but to be sure check with the organisers since he knows someone who wasn't permitted to use his helmet on track since there was no BS kite mark. (but did have ACU gold sticker & E11 mark)

That tallies with what I've been told. It seems that, to be sure of getting on track, you should ignore the ACU sticker and the ECE22.05 labels but make sure it's got the BS Type A sticker at least.

Clear as mud...... :blink: :ph34r: :blink:

#19 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 03:52 PM

www.urbanbikes.co.uk have a Type A for £45...

#20 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 08:03 PM

www.urbanbikes.co.uk have a Type A for £45...

cheers

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users