As Promised - Spax Group Buy

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#221 craglett

craglett

• PipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:42 PM

I am going to book the car into Horizon and see if they can sort it out whilst doing the geo for me.

will you tell us (in mm) how much did they wind the shocks up/down and what ride hight you have ? (i canot go to any of those (horizon, plans, TMS etc.. ) - i'm left here on my own nobody knows sh*t about vx or how to set it up.

Yes, no problem. I have taken some pictures with standard suspension on and will take some more with spax on after going to Horizon. I have measured in various places (wheel centre to arch, floor pan to floor, top of tyre to arch) so you should get an idea of the difference.

I don't have the measurements with me at work but I could tell you in fingers how much it's lowered it by if that helps any? :D :P At the rear I used to be able to get two finger under the arch, I can now only get one. At the front I used to be able to get three fingers under the arch, I can now only get two. I expect this to come down a bit more though. I think a finger measures about 10mm or slightly more.

I assume you have somewhere around there to do the geo setup?

#222 JohnyB

JohnyB

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:02 PM

Well i think that the diff between the front and the back is the most inportant info for me so if front is winded 10mm back is 20mm (or something) then i keep the same diff even tho i decide to have it a bit higher/lower ?. But will probably just keep your hight. About the geo yes i know the settings (plans mailed them to me) and i know a garage that did what i asked them to do - but had to sing that it's on my own request... I'll go again there.

#223 SteveM

SteveM

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:00 PM

Arrived today :groupjump: I'll be getting Plans to fit and set them up, sort the geo out etc., just need to book it in now :) See what you mean about the stickers, one for every occasion :D

#224 Richiemouse

Richiemouse

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Football (gooner), Bikes

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:11 PM

What stickers? :unsure: Steve, I'm considering getting mine set up at Plans, when are you thinking of having it done? Rich

#225 SteveM

SteveM

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:15 PM

Really busy at work at the moment, so not until the 1st week in April. I still need to call John or Graham to book it in thinking about it :rolleyes:

#226 SteveM

SteveM

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:28 PM

all booked in for the 3rd April :) , it's after the SCC meet :( but before the L2B meet :) .

#227 craglett

craglett

• PipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:08 PM

I am booked in at Horizon for Wed 22nd. I can't wait.

#228 craglett

craglett

• PipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:09 PM

Well, even though these spax aren't set up yet and now I have had a few days driving on them I have decided they feel wonderful. They are perhaps a little bit less forgiving over the bumps but I can cope with that. I feel much more confident on the bends which is what really counts.

#229 ad172

ad172

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, Driving

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:08 PM

Craglett - I found that after a few k miles the shocks have become more forgiving on bumps.

#230 Richiemouse

Richiemouse

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:15 PM

all booked in for the 3rd April :) , it's after the SCC meet :( but before the L2B meet :) .

Are they fitting them as well as setting them up? Have they given you a cost for setup?

#231 craglett

craglett

• PipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:34 PM

Craglett - I found that after a few k miles the shocks have become more forgiving on bumps.

ok, that's good to know as I wouldn't complain if the ride was a little more comfortable.

I have mounted mine the right way up at the moment but have some time this weekend to make any changes before the geo on Wednesday. I can't make up my mind whether to go and mount them upside down or not. I know it's possible to do but don't know how much real-world difference it will make to road driving.

Am I right in thinking that if I turn the fronts upside down that there is a smaller chance of the spring coming out of place if the suspension is going to be wound round down?

#232 djegiant

djegiant

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:10 PM

As I have posted before :rolleyes: these shocks do not work upside down! :beat: I tried it initially and after about 200metres I had no rear damping at all! :blink: Dampers are simple oil bath type and dont word USD! Also- fronts dont fit USD! :rolleyes: My fronts are wound all the way down- as set by horizon- and I have no trouble with the springs! Even had all 4 wheels off the floor with no probs! thumbsup When I jack it up the damping force is so great that they pretty much stay where they are, never mind during a millisecond that the car is jumping! thumbsup

#233 Richiemouse

Richiemouse

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:39 PM

As I have posted before :rolleyes: these shocks do not work upside down! :beat:

I tried it initially and after about 200metres I had no rear damping at all! :blink:

Dampers are simple oil bath type and dont word USD!

Someone better tell Jase then as I'm sure he said he had his rear ones on upside down.

#234 djegiant

djegiant

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:08 PM

As I have posted before  :rolleyes:  these shocks do not work upside down! :beat:

I tried it initially and after about 200metres I had no rear damping at all! :blink:

Dampers are simple oil bath type and dont word USD!

Someone better tell Jase then as I'm sure he said he had his rear ones on upside down.

:o

Worked fine initially but then all the damping vanishes! :(

#235 JohnyB

JohnyB

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:17 PM

I've got them today!!!! I cant wait till tomorrow to install them .. And btw.. thanks craglett for everything.

#236 craglett

craglett

• PipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:18 AM

I thought someone had them fitted upside down and clearly said it was OK. Having said that, I am probably inclined to leave them the right way up as it did say in big bold writing not to fit them upside down. Has anyone got an idea how much affect the extra weight will have on the handling? Would it be at all noticeable?

JohnyB, don't mention it. I have gained out of this group buy as much as everyone else here, some nice shiny spax and a lighter pocket!! thumbsup :D

#237 JohnyB

JohnyB

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:17 PM

Just finished installing them .. I used my own judgment of the ride hight and the car came out higher than it was :beat: damping settings i used were 12=front 14= back (from soft) anyway it's far far more oversteer that it was (and i like oversteer) - so this is not the right set up that i have right now .. but i don't have a clue how it should be set up anyway.

#238 craglett

craglett

• PipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:59 PM

Just finished installing them .. I used my own judgment of the ride hight and the car came out higher than it was :beat:

damping settings i used were 12=front 14= back (from soft) anyway it's far far more oversteer that it was (and i like oversteer) - so this is not the right set up that i have right now .. but i don't have a clue how it should be set up anyway.

I know the spax recommendation is softer at the rear. I am currently running 14 rear 16 front I think and it feels a lot better. I shall play more once the geo is done though.

There are plenty that have the rear harder than the front though and some even have a neutral setup such as 10 front and rear.

Spoke with the guy fron Scared Stiff today about the geo (they were at the Donnington Lotus show) but it was more expensive than Plans so I am going to stick to my original plan.

#239 MikeF

MikeF

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:10 AM

Has anyone else not received theres yet, after numerous calls to the company (who promise everytime to call back and never do) im no further forward how many people are still waiting on these, these where paid for over two weeks ago now and its a little silly guess im calling them again today! :angry:

#240 Richiemouse

Richiemouse

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:31 AM

Mine arrived a week ago but they were delivered to the wrong address.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users