• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DanL

DanL

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 08:05 AM

After bailing out the car last night (post turbo roof seals), it's clear I'm going to have to adjust my windows for a better fit. I guess changing the roof seal's affected the way the roof bars sit in the retainers, or something, as it never leaked this badly before the seal change (d'oh!). I know there are some instructions knocking around on here somewhere, but I've a few questions anyway. Is there any way of stopping the screws from falling into the door (some sort of cunning arrangement of string or something that I could rig up, pre-adjustment)? Do they give any hint at all that they're about to vanish? Is there any way at all of recovering the things, once they've gone? (Not that I'm paranoid about it, or anything!) I'm thinking that there must be something I can get from B&Q (or similar) to improve the seal between door and window - some sort of waterproof stick-on soft rubber strip that the glass can press firmly against. Anyone looked into this? Ta for any tips you can give! Dan

#2 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 29 August 2003 - 08:41 AM

Vex might be able to advise you on what happens just before they drop in.... ;) Also, apparently a smear of vaseline along the seals will improve there performance... Not tried it though.

#3 SSH1

SSH1

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 08:45 AM

Dan Whoever fitted the seals are a bunch of W**kers!! I had the turbo seals fitted on mine & it doesn't leak at all, without any fabsil coating on the roof, before it was terrible. They can make the car waterproof, it just takes a bit more skill than your average Baboon in the Vauxhall dealership can manage. If you want a go yourself then fine, I am of the opinion that if you buy a brand new car you shouldn't have to be fiddling with it yourself. If the dealer won't do it call Vauxhall Customer services & ask them to get their are representative to look at the car, don't be fobbed off!! I did this & in the end they took it back to Luton (and to Lotus!) to fix this leaking amongst other things. Chris

#4 Duncan

Duncan

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 08:54 AM

Don't know too much on the screws I'm afraid - I didn't dare put them into the door s to much. Normally the turbo seals solve the problem - make sure the water isn't leaking from anywhere else. Typical damp patches include the panel with the wing mirror on it and somewhere at the base of the screen where it meets the dash. Alternatively you could risk it and leave the screws to the dealer - but is it worth the risk?

#5 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 08:57 AM

Dan, have you Fabsil'd your roof? Mine didn't used to leak at all, then started all of a sudden. Fabsil'd it, and it seems to be fine again

#6 VEX

VEX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 09:21 AM

Ok, Ok, I was the one who got them to fall inside the door!. You don't actually need to screw them in that far. The way I would suggest is wind the screws in either a half turn or a full turn, front and back and then wind the window down and up again. If the window doesn't catch then you can go another turn and try the window again. Once it catches, wind the screws back out half a turn again and that should stop them from catching but create a good seal. Note: always do both front and back screws and wind the window fully down and up. when it catches you can both feel it through the handle or it will even just stop a couple of cm's short. IIRC, the catching is because the glass is running to close to the lock mechanics. Hope that helps, and don't blame me if you here a little clunk and the screw disappears ;)

Edited by VEX, 29 August 2003 - 09:22 AM.

#7 DanL

DanL

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 09:21 AM

Oh yeah - I've Fabsil'd the bugger. The leak definately isn't coming in through the fabric, as I've given the roof a couple of hefty treatments over the last month... It used to leak a bit in the corners (where the turbo seals catch the drips) - doesn't do this any more! On the other hand, there's a lengthy puddle which matches up with the central third of the window tops - it's pretty clear the seal here is just not keeping out the water, in my opinion. Last time when it leaked a little, I dropped in on Wayne and he adjusted the window screws for me (actually, it was Crownhill who fitted the new seals), but it seems daft to drive up there just to ask Wayne for five minutes with a screwdriver! I've heard about the vaseline solution, but that would leave a nastly looking smear along the top of my window, I'm thinking... Might try that as a last resort, but I think the windows just need tilting in a bit, or something. Actually, I could do with arranging for my car alarm to be 'desensitized' - I suppose if I did that in person I could see if Wayne can work his magic again (ooh err). Dan

#8 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 29 August 2003 - 11:48 AM

oh yea, another tip on the windows i read - put a piece of paper between the window and seal. It should grab it quite tightly and the same "tightness" (?) along the whole length. The screws will adjust this front and rear. CC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users