Photo

Replace Crashbox

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 frontosa

frontosa

• 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 02:33 PM

Hi, i had a litle accident with my opel speedster last week. :( And now i need to replace the crashbox on my speedster. Is this "operation" difficult, because it is adhered with the chassie. Thanx for every usefull answer. greets Frontosa P.S: Sorry, for my bad english.

Edited by frontosa, 03 September 2003 - 02:34 PM.

#2 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 03:49 PM

Hi Frontosa & welcome aboard. No problems with your English but could you clarify what you mean by crash box? Is that the front shell/clam? If so there are full instructions on this site on removal and refit.

#3 BrianDrought

BrianDrought

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 04:50 PM

Hi,

i had a litle accident with my opel speedster last week. :(

And now i need to replace the crashbox on my speedster.

Is this "operation" difficult, because it is adhered with the chassie.

Thanx for every usefull answer.

greets

Frontosa

P.S: Sorry, for my bad english.

As far as I was aware, it's bolted on. It might have some glue, but it shouldnt be a big deal to remove.

I'll have a look at mine tonight. (Clam is off anyway)

cheers,

Brian

#4 JimH

JimH

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts
  • Interests:yachting, diving, steam waggons, cars that don't break down, giving up on the output of any car builder from Norfolk.

Posted 03 September 2003 - 05:03 PM

I assume you mean that you mean the carbon fibre crash limiter. This bolts in place and is pretty easy to replace once the clamshell is off. Before you fit the new one I would inspect the chassis very carefully. The box is there to save you not the car so it is possible that the chassis has been damaged in the impact.

#5 frontosa

frontosa

• 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 05:14 AM

Hi JimH, you were right. I ment the carbon fibre crash limiter. It's simple called crashbox in germany. And you got the knowledge i needed ... bolts in place and is pretty easy to replace ... :D Now i have the courage to fix it on my own. The winter is long and there's much work to do :D Thank you all. Frontosa

#6 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 05:25 AM

Well I learn something new everyday :huh: - Good luck with the repairs.

#7 Duncan

Duncan

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 09:32 AM

Hi Frontosa, Good luck with the repairs, although I echo the comments about checking the chassis over. Hope you stick around on the forum after you've fixed your car! The more the merrier! Duncan

#8 Steve Crisp

Steve Crisp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Interests:VX220's...

Posted 04 September 2003 - 04:54 PM

Hi Frotosa, I've just looked in the Repair Manual for this job. I'm afraid that you have to drill out the rivits that hold the side gussets on, then roughly cut the old crash box off of the front. You then clean the whole thing up, and then glue the new crash box to the front. It doesn't look too much of a job, but take it slowly! If you need the information, then I'll write this up better for you with more detail. Steve

#9 frontosa

frontosa

• 5 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 08:46 AM

Hi, one last question. How about the alignment of the crashbox? Are there mortice and tenon (<-- i hope it's the right name) for an easy alignment? Thanks, you helped me a lot.

#10 Steve Crisp

Steve Crisp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Interests:VX220's...

Posted 06 September 2003 - 10:06 AM

Hi, The service manual is not too helpful. Here is the text: - 1. Trim down the “old” adhesive. 2. Clean the Crashbox. 3. Clean the adhesive points on the vehicle. 4. Apply primer to crashbox. 5. Using primer, make good the adhesive points on the vehicle. 6. Apply adhesive to the crashbox. 7. Place crashbox into position. 8. Align Crashbox. 9. Fix in place with strap pliers and tensioning strap. It has drawings, but they don't give anything other than the obvious! When you come to do this, can you take a few pictures and tell us how you got on with it? Steve

#11 frontosa

frontosa

• 5 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 10:53 AM

Hi, i'm going to take a couple of photos. I have a bad feeling this won't be the last time i'll have to fix the crashbox ;)

#12 dude

dude

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 04:59 PM

hi frontosa. can i ask how much the crashlimiter costs in germany. the price i got from a dealer in sweden was 1560 euro. :o //anders

#13 frontosa

frontosa

• 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 07:49 AM

hi frontosa.

can i ask how much the crashlimiter costs in germany.
the price i got from a dealer in sweden was 1560 euro. :o

//anders

Hi,

yes you can ;-)

First offer that i got from an opel dealer is about 1150 EURO including 16% tax.

#14 nicolas

nicolas

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical engineering
    Motorsport
    GTAW Welding
    Industry

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:48 AM

Guys,

I have to replace Crash-box and front clamshell on a VX220 Turbo.

I am thus looking to perform a clean repair. The car is stripped down and ready to receive all brand new parts. According to what I read in many posts, I can figure things out like this :

- Crash-box shall be replaced by an OEM one, sourced and purchased from Vauxhall/Opel. Am I right ? Do you know a reliable source, in 2017, able to manufacture such a part with a good manufacturing process which would be similar to the one manufactured by Lotus composites ? Anyone who works at Lotus would be able to say something about it ? If anyone has Any access to OEM spare Crash-box with good discount, I would be interested.

- Front clamshell is, at first glance, a part that can be sourced from different manufacturers. I will ask the original price to Vauxhall/Opel but I assume it would be bloody expensive. On the other hand, what would be the best choice as of today in 2017 ? Does anyone has already fit a front clamshell from Lotus Hardtops ?

If someone has already assembled this front clamshell from Lotus Hardtops, can you say something about how it fits onto the car and if there is some adjustments to be done before spray painting ? Any other useful comments would be helpful though.

- Adhesive compound to stick back the Crash-box to the Aluminium frame (Chassis). Which one to select and where to source it ? Does Dinitrol 550 is the best in class ? It's normally a bi-component, so is there any ways to source both at the same time (primer and glue) ? I believe 3M Brand should be a good choice but I don't know which reference ? Any other suggestions ? Does someone know which one is used by Lotus at their factory ?

I need to purchase these 3 listed items at the same time or almost, so if you guys have any useful suggestions for a complete package, I will listen to suggestions.

Any other useful comments from experienced guys on parts quality and sources would be greatly appreciated.

#15 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:21 PM

crash box is Lotus only - http://www.deroure.c...SC=0&PBID=37736

adhesive - http://www.deroure.c...SC=0&PBID=37750

Lotus Hardtops front clams are supposed to fit okay, I'm sure someone who has actually purchased one can add more info

#16 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:33 PM

Crash boxes are sometimes sold for much less (about £450) from second hand cars that have been stripped.

#17 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:26 PM

I don't think you can buy clams from lotus/Vauxhall any more. Even when they were still producing them I had a 9 month wait 😤

Edited by oakmere, 28 March 2017 - 07:27 PM.

#18 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

There is someone selling the right adhesive in the for sale section

#19 Sellsey

Sellsey

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:27 PM

Hi I've just completed the a replacement of a crash box on an NA, new crashbox purchased via a lotus dealer in Weston supermare direct from lotus, cost £1272 (this included a 10% discount) I followed the factory repair notes for removal, replacement and bonding to the chassis, cutting the old one close to the chassis and then removing the remainder with a heat gun and scraper. Then cleaned the chassis and primed with Betaseal, keyed the crashbox, primed and then applied the Betaseal in the correct pattern as per the lotus repair notes. Attaching the crashbox is straightforward just take time and ensure gaps are the same both sides. I used a ratchet strap and a number of G clamps with strips of wood to spread the load and the left overnight. The crashbox is the same used by the Elise/exige, you'll need to just change your towing bracket to an s2 Elise version I purchased a stainless one from eBay Whilst the job was somewhat time consuming to strip down, it's not difficult, I completed the removal, prep and replacement of the crash section in a day. The tricky part was sourcing the PU adhesive and primer. In the end I went wholesale and purchased 12 sausages of Betaseal 1580 I only used one to reafix and still have around 8 left so if you are interested PM me. You'll need a sausage gun to apply but these are readily available online as they are used for windscreen replacement. I purchased the primer Betaseal 5404 from https://www.silmid.c...r-250ml-bottle/ for cleaning of the chassis and crash section prior to fitting I used isopropyl alcohol. As for the clam I purchased a secondhand one in the end, was planning to buy one from lotushardtops but one came up from a member on here who was building a time attack car. Let me know if you need anything else, PM me if you want the repair notes, good luck just take your time. Paul

#20 Sellsey

Sellsey

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

A couple of pictures of the chassis with the crash section removed and then the new one attached and secured

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users