• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Robski

Robski

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:27 PM

With all these engine mounts failing on vx's it should have come as no surprise to be informed that my nearside mount is on it's way out. By all accounts it is the nearside mount that tends to fail first. Luckily this is also the easiest to replace. TBH I hadn't noticed the noise until it was pointed out to me at my service ( thumbsup to TMS - see post under the 'product / service review' section) as the noise starts off as more of a clunking sound under acceleration / lift off and then I presume it progresses to become the 'classic' grinding noise that people have described on this site. Thinking back I seem to recall a post about poly engine mounts being available from one of our continental friends... A search hasn't revealed the thread I was looking for so I might just be making this up..... :unsure: Any help in tracking down the supplier would be apreciated or any reviews of these being used would also be useful... Hopefully they may last a wee bit longer than the OE spec ones... chinky chinky Rob

#2 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:10 PM

Im not sure about the poly mounts. But for the sake of a £100 extra I'd strongly recommend getting them both replaced thumbsup

#3 M3 BFG

M3 BFG

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • Interests:VX's
    Pinball
    Retro Arcade

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:11 PM

Courtenay have them advertised thumbsup

#4 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:23 PM

Those are the wrong ones mate ;)

They are for the front and back lower suspension mounts.

Its the top (left and right) mounts that go, as mentioned in the Courtenay ad thumbsup

>clicky<

#5 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:01 AM

The poly engine mounts is snake oil. It only causes more vibration!! (In the states they think that a lot of power disappear thru the rubber mounts, but then they would be warm as hell, wouldn´t they? :o :D :D )

#6 Robski

Robski

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:17 AM

Just thought that poly mounts might last a little bit longer than OEM... :unsure:

#7 ian barrett

ian barrett

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:53 AM

im just trying to find the fault of a grinding noise under hard acceleration from stand still. how can i tell if it is the engine mounts. the noise is on the near side. if it is the engine mounts should i replace both upper & lower mounts on both sides. cheers

#8 ian barrett

ian barrett

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:58 PM

also are the engine mounts under warranty or should i just get them & replace them myself. Vauxhall charged me £85 to tell me they could not find the fault without further investigation. :9mm:

Edited by ian barrett, 01 May 2006 - 12:59 PM.

#9 Woody Trebus

Woody Trebus

• PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:06 PM

also are the engine mounts under warranty

My engine mounts were changed under warranty.

I thought it was the rear sills that were banging about together - sounded like a creaking sound to me.

Surprised to hear that this was the engine mounts - pleased that they were covered by warranty.

:P

#10 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:18 PM

also are the engine mounts under warranty or should i just get them & replace them myself. Vauxhall charged me £85 to tell me they could not find the fault without further investigation. :9mm:

*groan*

Yes, even without seeing/hearing you car I would say engine mounts 99%

Can I claim my £85 now?

Engine mounts are left and right on the top, front and back on the bottom......both top mounts should be replaced.

Yes its a warranty job. if your car is out of warranty, any mechanic worth his salts can do the job for about £200 all in thumbsup

#11 MAP18W

MAP18W

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:04 PM

Those are the wrong ones mate

They are for the front and back lower suspension mounts.

Its the top (left and right) mounts that go, as mentioned in the Courtenay ad thumbsup

>clicky<

They are not front and back lower suspension, they are the front and back engine mounts.

Yes more vibration is felt when both mounts are changed but there is no reason why just one cannot be uprated for less vibration, but with both uprated mounts there is less forward and backward movement of the engine under acceleration/braking so therefore less strain is transferred to the side engine mounts which fail. To be honest the vibration is minimal really and only felt at certain rpm.

#12 cicastol

cicastol

• PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:37 AM

with both uprated mounts there is less forward and backward movement of the engine under acceleration/braking so therefore less strain is transferred to the side engine mounts which fail. To be honest the vibration is minimal really and only felt at certain rpm.

Exactly,that is the problem,I've uprated the bottom(front,back) engine mounts with vulcanized rubber,much stiffer than the original but soft enough for vibration dampening,this will save the upper mounts from stress relataed to engine movement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users