26 replies to this topic

#1 TurboTomato

TurboTomato

K-Series Detonator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,881 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 11:54 PM

Warning: Mini rant follows

I was driving past my local BMW/Mini dealer this morning when I happened to set eyes upon a shiny Mini parked in the front of the forecourt...... why did it catch my eye? Well apart from the horrid colour combo it was in, there was a little something else making my eyes water. The price.

Now I'm not going to beat around the bush here - the sticker price was £16,785*!

* Oh sorry, my mistake, it was actually £26,785 :o Yes, that's right - twenty-seven grand for a fcuking Mini. I believe it to be one of >these< limited editions, which as far as I can see, has no back seats (and for no apparent reason as well, as least a Clio V6 has a dirty great engine where they should be and looks the part). Let's just go over that again - £27k for a Mini with no back seats. The sad thing is, people will be queueing up to buy the little bastards :rolleyes:

[Alan Partridge voice] This country...... [/Alan Partridge voice]

LazyDonkey, are you going to try to defend the indefensible? :P

#2 M3 BFG

M3 BFG

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • Interests:VX's
    Pinball
    Retro Arcade

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:43 AM

Co-incidentally I saw one at a simlilar price yesterday at Orpington. There was a 2 year old M3 on the opposite forecourt for less :o I was thinking at the time that most of the Cooper S GP owners will be sure they have bought a supercar :rolleyes:

Edited by M3 BFG, 07 May 2006 - 08:43 AM.

#3 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:51 AM

Mmmm, been think of changing the VXR..... NOT! B)

#4 christurbo

christurbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts
  • Interests:My Civic Type R
    My Black Beast of a VX!!!

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:05 AM

Thats astonishing :o I saw this 'special edition' on 5th gear. What a waste of money.

#5 johnaachen

johnaachen

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts
  • Interests:Karting, F1, golf, tennis, binge drinking, giving up smoking

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:44 AM

It's a bit "Gary/Kev/Barry" isn't it? :)

#6 JimH

JimH

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts
  • Interests:yachting, diving, steam waggons, cars that don't break down, giving up on the output of any car builder from Norfolk.

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:56 AM

I've known about this special edition of the country's favourite spaz chariot for a while now but I kept quiet about it just in case I started to look obsessed or something. It's just wonderful isn't it? Is it any better built? Have they thrown that uspeakably nasty engine in the bin? Have they made it look any better? Or have they just put the most appalling body kit on it, slap slapped some puke-tastic paint and taken the back seats out. You've what? We've taken the back seats out. What the fcuk for? Erm, to make it lighter. It weighs the same as a house, what is removing the back seats going to do? Make it a bit lighter. But you could make the same saving by having the drivers remove their heads. It's not as if they use them. Yeah, but this way it looks like an M3 CSL In what way? Well, it doesn't have a back seat. So let's get this straight. The ONLY reason that someone would buy this sh*t box car instead of say an MX-5, and MR-2 or at this comedy price an S2000 or an Elise is that you can carry more than two people in it. Errrr And you've taken it away Erm, yes. That would appear to be the case. What's German for "you twat"? It's just one of those things that you stare at in amazement wondering just what was going through their heads at the time. What was going on at the product planning meetings and just how pissed the senior manager had to be to sign the thing off.

#7 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:17 PM

:D paul i love our mini but not even i can defend that hideous creations. at twelve thousand our car makes sense but thats just silly. :o

#8 r1chard748

r1chard748

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:52 PM

There isn't much leg room in the back of the mini anyway, taking the rear seats out isn't losing much. Bad press is just what this baby needs. Then when the new mini comes out at the end of the year and theres a few sitting in showrooms unsold I can pick one these up for peanuts. Or maybe not but it strikes me that a mini with 2 seats isn't exactly what the average mini owner is after, what they want is more bling.

#9 theotherjonnymac

theotherjonnymac

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:10 PM

Three years ago I ordered a Mini Cooper Convertible for the Mrs. There was a years waiting list and 2 weeks before we needed to spec it we split up. I sold our space to someone who was 47 on the dealers waiting list for £3000 !!!! Best bit of business I ever did. There were rare at the time. Now they are the most common car on the road!!! Overpriced and less standard kit on them than my VXT

#10 EX-VX

EX-VX

• PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:13 PM

if you want a new "mini"* and have 27k to spend (or actually a fair bit less) you could have one of these.

http://www.zcars.org.uk/mini/civic.htm

if you can hold a spanner, you could have one of these AND a very nice holiday for two for 27K :D

i was lucky enough to get a passenger ride in one of these on thursday. truly unbelievable! obviously goes like sh#t off a sh#vel, but hugely impressive on bumpy pot-holed back roads. rides like a much bigger car

*edit to add quotation marks

Edited by EX-VX, 07 May 2006 - 06:14 PM.

#11 johnaachen

johnaachen

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts
  • Interests:Karting, F1, golf, tennis, binge drinking, giving up smoking

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:28 PM

What's German for "you twat"?

du bist ein Arschloch! thumbsup

#12 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:45 PM

Arschloch!

Made me have a schoolboy chuckle that did :D

#13 Joe-Turbo

Joe-Turbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:15 PM

62 miles to the gallon :blink: thats better then my 1.7 astra diesal

#14 Crimson_Killa

Crimson_Killa

Posting My Opinion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:15 PM

Personaly im liking this little jem: from their web site under "FLEET-FOOTED: "The Weight-Reduced 18" alloy rims guarentee even more zippyness - and the red break calipers on the front wheels ensure optimum stopping power" im sorry but What The Fcuk!!! Zippyness!!! And what the fcuk does the calipers being red have to do with it stopping quickly!!! I think this cars marketing is designed for the 12 year old geek or the 40 year old single mother who knows nothing about cars!!!

#15 r1chard748

r1chard748

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:57 PM

Their break calipers, maybe they differ from the normal ones. :D

#16 Code Monkey

Code Monkey

forum whore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:14 PM

What's German for "you twat"?

Mi nicooperessgeepee

at least it is when i typed it into babelfish, though it might have been playing up :D

#17 Ferguson

Ferguson

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:54 PM

The Weight-Reduced 18" alloy rims guarentee even more zippyness

Priceless moment: showing up to an autocross / sprint in your bog-stock Cooper S running sticky A048s on lightweight 15" Kosei rims and spanking the pants off this abomination (assuming it ever gets to a timed venue).

"Zippyness". Indeed.

Edited by Ferguson, 08 May 2006 - 03:59 PM.

#18 TurboTomato

TurboTomato

K-Series Detonator

• 13,881 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:17 AM

>Jim, I made this for you<

#19 JimH

JimH

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts
  • Interests:yachting, diving, steam waggons, cars that don't break down, giving up on the output of any car builder from Norfolk.

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:20 AM

Been done before I'm afraid. We've all enjoyed the idea that the gayest car on four wheels could be considered in the least bit "hard".

#20 Guest_AntB (Guest)

Guest_AntB (Guest)

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:21 AM

>Jim, I made this for you<

*puts on 'comic book guy' from the simpsons tshirt*

that says:

"WORST ADVERT EVER"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users