• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 NOBLE

NOBLE

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:27 AM

I noticed a few guys on here have been exploring the idea of removing the Vauxhall 'V' from the front of the car. I, myself did some investigating all last week so that I was armed with the right knowledge to do the job this weekend. I gave myself all weekend as I did not want to rush the job (Budget about 3 carefull hours).

Ok here comes my comprehensive 'How to...'

Removing the Front 'V'
I used a normal black and decker drill with a 6mm drill bit. Other people have used hole saws and solder irons but I only had a drill therefore I was limited, I took my time and managed to be pretty accurate. See the photos below of where I was drilling.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

See picture below for the fixing positions.

Posted Image

These two photos show how Vauxhall chose to mount the 'V'.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Note that doing it this way means that you can't have the 'V' intact. The only way to keep it intact would be to remove the clam and unscrew the fixings.

Posted Image

OK, once you get the screws free from the platic mounts you will need to push them through and drop them into the front of the clam (they probably have fell down anyways). You will notice if you look closely that there is a lip that ends where the towing eye is. You now need to use a long bit of wire of a screw driver to grab the screw and flick them under the lip so that they are in the lower part of the clam. Its noted that some people say you can use a magnetic tool to hook them and get them out, but I found that the washers they have were to big to come through the mesh).
Now you need to go grab a ratchet and a 8mm bit and undo the 5 front clam screws. This sounds akward and too much hassle but they come out and go back so easy.

Posted Image

Now you can pull the loose plastic lip down and free your screws. Count them, there should be 5. Make sure you get the 5 as you dont want these little sharp screw getting in your tyre at speed. Please make sure you get them all.

Posted Image

I had to use the kerb at my mums house to aid in the angle of the car. If you are careful you will get them all. So now you are left with this......

Posted Image

Put your clam screws back (dont over tighten) and your all done. Now its up to you whether or not to mask it all off and paint it. It was too windy this weekend for me to spray mine but I have the Hammerite Satin Black spray can in the house ready. I chose the hammerite as it goes straight onto rust there for reducing the need to respray in a month unike with the Halfords paints.

I Hope this post comes in useful, many thanks,
Craig
Thanks go to LazyDonkey, VXJON and ChrisTurbo. There threads, photos and knowledge helped me so much

#2 danVXT

danVXT

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:Cars / Gadgets / Gym

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:47 AM

looking good thumbsup i've got my front V and griffin sprayed in black and still undecided whether to remove it completely or not?!

#3 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:31 AM

[wipes tear from eye] I'd like to thank everyone who has supported my through this difficult time: my mum, the lord jesus christ... :P Seriously tho - looks cool B)

#4 a4bvx

a4bvx

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:33 AM

Nice 1 Craig, looks mint

#5 Munky

Munky

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:43 PM

Looks great thumbsup Thanks for the informative post and all the pictures. V useful! I think i might give this a bash soon! :D chinky chinky

#6 XXX

XXX

Invisible ex-VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

I think i might bash one out soon!

:blink:

#7 Astranomical102

Astranomical102

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:10 PM

thumbsup Imnotworthy

#8 NOBLE

NOBLE

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:00 AM

Well like I said. I was not the only member wanting to do this job so I thought I would document my attempt. Glad you all found it helpful. Craig

#9 tifosi V8

tifosi V8

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:03 PM

Top guide! thumbsup Might do this one day..

#10 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:33 PM

Is that known as the "Butcher's Method"?

#11 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for that chinky chinky I'm looking to do mine and that looks a better way than taking the front clam off, Just need a fine day now...

#12 Munky

Munky

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:40 PM

I think i might bash one out soon!

:blink:

:o :lol: :P

#13 NOBLE

NOBLE

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:44 AM

Ok so the wind up here in Newcastle died off and I was able to sort out the front end. Here are the photos...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

All done thumbsup

#14 S20 VX

S20 VX

• Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:06 PM

Long time after your post - but thanks to another member (joe_589) he forwarded your tips, I'm going to start on mine! :-) me be vee free

#15 aron916

aron916

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:14 PM

thanks for the info, this is on my to do list, so this guide will come in very handy!

#16 NOBLE

NOBLE

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:12 PM

This was a while ago. I wonder who if anyone owns Black FL53 now. She was a beaut if a bit scratched :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users