• 2,263 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:04 AM

anyone? :unsure:

#3 Mustang

Mustang

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:26 PM

Do you mean the one that rivets to the rear clam underside? If yes then I have one for sale and not too far from you (PE12) (Also breaking a Vx220 N/A many parts still left) Martin Attached File  PHTO0697.JPG   26.16KB   4 downloads

Edited by Mustang, 04 December 2006 - 03:30 PM.

#4 RichH

RichH

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

I mean the moon shaped thing that fixes on to the rear mesh directly above the tail pipes. The bit that effectively protects your number plate from melting. Do you have one of those? PE12- That's only about 20 mins from me, so would be perfect. :D

#5 Mustang

Mustang

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:24 PM

No sorry I let that go with the clam.

Martin

I mean the moon shaped thing that fixes on to the rear mesh directly above the tail pipes. The bit that effectively protects your number plate from melting. Do you have one of those?

PE12- That's only about 20 mins from me, so would be perfect. :D

#6 RichH

RichH

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:42 AM

:( No worries, thanks anyway. thumbsup

#7 Kernow220

Kernow220

• Pip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Tinkering, drinking, biking.

Posted 05 December 2006 - 02:27 PM

I need one of those too… please let me know if you have any joy tracking one down.

#8 Crimson_Killa

Crimson_Killa

Posting My Opinion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:40 PM

I lost mine, easiest and cheapest solution is some hear resistant pipe from halfords cut to size for the gap, slit along one edge and slipped on to the mesh that is left, Does the same job, all be it a bit more inefficiently. If you need a pic i can go take one.

#9 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 05:03 PM

easiest and cheapest solution is some hear resistant pipe from halfords cut to size for the gap, slit along one edge and slipped on to the mesh that is left,

That's what I've just done as mine had come loose. Can the original be glued back and if so with what? :unsure:

#10 XXX

XXX

Invisible ex-VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:05 PM

easiest and cheapest solution is some hear resistant pipe from halfords cut to size for the gap, slit along one edge and slipped on to the mesh that is left,

That's what I've just done as mine had come loose. Can the original be glued back and if so with what? :unsure:

Mine came off after exhaust bracket broke and exhaust whacked it. I still have mine though. Been told that only way to reattach is to bond it on. The heatshield does have a weld-like bit of bonding with bits of the mesh still on it so I will have to grind that off before thinking about re-attaching it. Think I may go the Crimson Killa method.....

#11 Crimson_Killa

Crimson_Killa

Posting My Opinion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:47 PM

Mine came off after exhaust bracket broke and exhaust whacked it. I still have mine though. Been told that only way to reattach is to bond it on. The heatshield does have a weld-like bit of bonding with bits of the mesh still on it so I will have to grind that off before thinking about re-attaching it. Think I may go the Crimson Killa method.....

I dont think you can just bond it back on (due to heat etc). I lost mine down a lane somewhere so not really sure about that one though.

From what I found out about it. Mine came off under warantee and vauxhall said its not really needed so they wont pay for a new on (about £300 btw inc fitting) the reason for the high fitting cost is that they have to remove the rear clam to refit it (it includes the mesh at the back ready constructed)

the cheap solution is as above and has helped not melt my number plate even though poxhall said its not needed. :huh:

#12 ChazUwe

ChazUwe

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Computers, Drinking and travelling about.

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:11 PM

You can bond it back on, you need to use some high temp bonding agent though. Do searches on JB Weld, as people have used this in teh past. I used Super Steel from halfords. Need to tidy it up abit but seems to be holding ok :)

#13 luna_s

luna_s

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:26 PM

Posted Image

pipemod thumbsup

#14 XXX

XXX

Invisible ex-VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:29 PM

Plans told me that it could be bonded but it would take about 4 hours to set and, as the heatshield was not essential, I left mine off. It is rattling about in my boot at the moment....

#15 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:31 PM

Some people have had heat damage to paint and number plate without heat shield but doesn't seem to be universal. I'll probably try and stick mine back on sometime.

Edited by VIX, 06 December 2006 - 05:31 PM.

#16 XXX

XXX

Invisible ex-VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:27 PM

Here's mine. Bigger than you thought, eh?? ;) .

I had thought it was just the bit you could see when attached to grille but it does extend a few inches under the clam so is obviously designed to protect something....

Posted Image

Posted Image

grrr.. spent ages trying to resize the photos that I had posted.....

Edited by XXX, 06 December 2006 - 11:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users