• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 rik

rik

while (vx < 340) { vx++; }

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:23 PM

Hi. I was getting the EML on for reasons something to do with the O2 sensors, so I decided to replace them and see if it fixed my error.
There are 2 O2 sensors (aka lambda sensors), one before the cat, and one after the cat. I'm not sure of each of their purpose, someone else can probably explain better.

I didn't know which sensor the error was referring to, so I replaced both. You can buy the GM parts from ebay, or alternative ones from here http://www.lambdapow....._Model=VX 220
I was told of "Universal" ones, which were available on ebay for much much cheaper (~£15 each). The difference is that the universal ones don't come with the plug/socket connection (As it will be different on each car/make) - BUT THE ACTUAL SENSOR IS THE SAME. So what you do is cut the connector off the broken sensor, and connect it to the new sensor.

Information you need to buy the right universal sensor -
Zirconia
Thread of 18mm
4-wire, 2*white, 1 black, 1 grey

I got two of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.u...:MEWN:IT&ih=015

It says VOLVO, but I chose this one because it was just the cheapest (look at the seller's other auctions), selling the vauxhall one for a few more £, when actually they are identical!.. what does this say about me/volvo owners? :)

A* seller, they came the very next day.

Posted Image

I was suprised how good they were. They came with crimp connectors ready attached, colour coded heatshrink ready to be shrunk, and were even lubricated with the correct kind of grease to prevent rusting the thread (apparently you can't use regular copper grease as it interferes with the reading somehow).

Posted Image

Step 1 - remove the diffuser (no need to remove the main undertray)

Step 2 - Find the connector for the front sensor in the engine bay, disconnect it and cut off any cable ties securing it in place.

Posted Image

Step 3 - Locate the sensor, and unscrew it. Mine came out quite easily, hopefully your's will too

Posted Image

Step 4 - Once removed, cut the sensor off so you can re-use the connector. Be careful, try to make the length of wire the same as before so that it will reach properly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 5 - strip back a few mm of wire on each of the 4 wires from the old connector. Black to black, grey to grey, and the whites can be connected any way round. Now you can crimp them into the new sensor. Best to use a crimp tool if you have one, otherwise pliers will probably be ok.

Step 6 - shrink the heat shrink!

Posted Image

old vs new, they are slightly different:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Step 6 - screw back in and reconnect.. try to tie the cable up again so it doesn't interfere.

Step 7 - repeat for the back sensor. Removing the near side rear wheel may make it easier, as the cable takes an unusual route.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think it was my BACK sensor which was broke, as it rattled.. as if something had broke/come loose inside. It also looked very scorched:

Posted Image

Done

Posted Image

I've only done 30 miles with the new ones, so I can't be sure if it fixed my problem.. but the car certainly drove this far with no problems/error lights, and felt as good as ever.

#2 luna_s

luna_s

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:50 PM

nice guide thumbsup just to add, might be worthwhile buying a thread chaser before starting - in case the threads are tatty also if you get the universal ones, you can cut the wire at the lambda, then use a hefty socket to get the old ones off :P oh i got mine from the same seller, worked fine for 6 months (until the engine broke)

#3 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:02 PM

Great guide, and a really good price thumbsup One for the stickies :)

#4 rabidh

rabidh

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:03 PM

good guide thumbsup When I did mine I couldn't get the sensor out easily. I ended up cutting the sensor in half so I could get a socket over it (however you can buy a special socket that lets you take the sensor out totally intact) . Also heating the exhaust with a blow lamp (while shielding the sensor) helps to get it loose.

#5 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:29 PM

Should put in the really usefull guide section thumbsup

#6 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:59 AM

Nice guide rik. thumbsup :D

#7 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:31 PM

I've got one and it has failled after 1.5k miles I couldn't be bothered to do it again, so i bought a vauxhall one. I think the quality is a bit suspect, you never know though, its certainly worth a try for a few quid.

#8 rabidh

rabidh

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:32 PM

I've got one and it has failled after 1.5k miles... I think the quality is a bit suspect, you never know though, its certainly worth a try for a few quid.

Just to add that mine's been on the car for I think 5k miles now and its been perfect. Plenty of other stuff on the car has failed since then thumbsup :lol:

#9 rik

rik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:36 AM

well it has certainly fixed my EML for now, just had a right good blast drive to work :D rallly

#10 jimmymac

jimmymac

• 346 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:46 AM

I just plumped for genuine vauxhall ones from autovaux not cheap but fixed the problem with very little effort.

#11 SAPD

SAPD

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:37 PM

Who me? Thread resurrection? :unsure:

Could anyone offer me a part number for a lambda sensor (on an NA, if it matters)

TMS have quoted £120 and I wondered if I could source it myself for cheaper - i.e. through Autovaux etc

Thanks very much for your help.

(I have searched, obviously :) )

#12 rabidh

rabidh

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

I got mine from ebay. Do a quick search for 'lambda' and find a 4 wire one with a thread.

One I saw is this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

I *think* it is right... For £15 delivered its probably worth taking a shot anyway.
It isn't an OEM one, but mine has been in the car for almost 6 months now (used daily) and it is fine.

edit: sorry - forgot to add that mine was just the wires, and you have to cut the old and splice the new ones in. Its very easy to do though.

Edited by rabidh, 31 October 2007 - 03:09 PM.

#13 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

Got a proper one with the connector for £50 on ebay from a Vauxhall parts place, can't remember the name. Search for Z22SE lambda - as it may not be labelled as VX220.

#14 SAPD

SAPD

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:22 PM

Found an OEM for £55 ish on the fleaBay. Your help was much appreciated guys, as always thumbsup

#15 Anarchy

Anarchy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

Do we reckon these would be OK?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...id=p3286.c0.m14

#16 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

Do we reckon these would be OK?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...id=p3286.c0.m14

It should work - but a few people have questioned reliability in the past :( May not be worth the risk when you can find OEM ones for <£70 :unsure:

#17 Stefan_A

Stefan_A

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Interests:Photography, british sports cars, diecast models, GT racing, whiskey, project management

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

I bought a set from vauxhallpartswarehouse on eBay, £118.70 incl. shipping to Sweden for front and rear. Couldn't bother to fiddle around with moving the old ones to my new exhaust. They've been around since 2001 so they'd better stay where they are... :happy:

#18 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:30 PM

I bought a set from vauxhallpartswarehouse on eBay, £118.70 incl. shipping to Sweden for front and rear. Couldn't bother to fiddle around with moving the old ones to my new exhaust. They've been around since 2001 so they'd better stay where they are... :happy:

Be wary of what you order tho - one of them is listed as OEM, the other as 'Aftermarket'

#19 rik

rik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:43 AM

I wouldn't use the universal ones again. The problem is that although all sensors are basically the same, the universal ones are of a lower quality and tend to fail a lot easier. If you can get a high quality universal one, then that would be fine..

#20 Anarchy

Anarchy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:42 PM

Gonna plump for a cheap universal one and see how it goes. After its fitted do you need an OBDII to reset it it or will EML just go out?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users