13 replies to this topic

#1 n1k_ns

n1k_ns

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts
  • Interests:Date Of VX First Registration: 01/03/2002

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:53 PM

As I didn't really know what to expect when I removed me original Phillips rears; I thought I might as well do a quick quide.

Bought A Set Of These Bad Boys on Ebay (£50 inc P&P) thumbsup to replace my crappy blown Phillips ones.

ALPINE SPS-170A TYPE S 6.5" CAR COAXIAL SPEAKERS

Posted Image
Posted Image

I obviously started with the Drivers side as you can slide the seat forward and it is very easy.

First, using the flat blade screwdriver attachment on my leatherman I removed the grills to get access to the screws:

Posted Image

Once thats off, just remove the 4 phillips screws. (Note how crappy the speakers are compared to the Alpine ones):

Posted Image

Then remove the retaining ring:

Posted Image

The speaker should then just drop out:

Posted Image

Then simply remove the terminals from the speaker, re-attach to the new one and offer up the new one. (mine had to go in at a slight angle to line up the holes):

Posted Image

Then attach the new speker grills and screw them back in....Job Done:

Posted Image

The left side was much harder and took twice as long due to the small area to work with, but again i found the leatherman fit perfectly thumbsup

Posted Image

Posted Image

Old Paper Phillips Speakers:

Posted Image

The sound was noticably much better from the word go, i also have an Alpine H/U and this is one of the best mods i have done so far!

#2 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:56 PM

done the same with infinity well easy as you did demonstrate well done :) :) :) :)

#3 Add954

Add954

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:09 PM

Wasn't there an option to have a four speaker system fitted when buying the vx? Where did Vauxhall put the other two speakers? I know you can make something up to go on the shelf behind the seats i just wondered how vauxhall did it?

#4 Code Monkey

Code Monkey

forum whore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:23 PM

Wasn't there an option to have a four speaker system fitted when buying the vx? Where did Vauxhall put the other two speakers? I know you can make something up to go on the shelf behind the seats i just wondered how vauxhall did it?

tweeters mounted flush alongside the deep coin pockets in the turbos

better to mount tweeters on the dash another option is sharp knife and flush mount in top of dash panel.

#5 T5SOR

T5SOR

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:37 PM

Do any 6.5" ones fit? Im guessing the old ones e 6.5"??

#6 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:57 PM

Do any 6.5" ones fit? Im guessing the old ones e 6.5"??

thumbsup yep, all 6.5"s should fit fine :) so loads of options out there :rolleyes:

#7 DaveMax

DaveMax

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:05 PM

tweeters mounted flush alongside the deep coin pockets in the turbos

better to mount tweeters on the dash another option is sharp knife and flush mount in top of dash panel.

Just for information, I actually mounted my tweeters at the rear, just inside of the main rear speakers. I felt that the sound was better overall and thought that the tweeters at the front appeared too "tinny".

If anyone is going to fit them my advice is to try them at the rear first. (my speakers were part of an upgrade pack supplied by the previous owner, this included better bass speakers, a crossover box and some tweeters that can be surface mounted if necessary). Although the result is not Dolby Digital 5:1, it's pretty respectable and much better than standard.

#8 Vespillo

Vespillo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • Interests:Computers,<br>Golf,<br>Snooker,<br>MY VX!!!!!!!!!!!!!,<br>Music (Dj'ing and making it)<br>as well as other obvious ones like getting pissed,<br>having a laugh with my mates, chilling with the family etc etc.

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:03 PM

This is something I need to do on mine, im sure they have blown, they sound v bad! I was thinking of getting some of these: INFINITY KAPPA 652.7i 225WATT 6.5 INCH CAR SPEAKERS anyone have any experience with them? cheers. good guide by the way thumbsup

#9 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:18 PM

This is something I need to do on mine, im sure they have blown, they sound v bad!
I was thinking of getting some of these:
INFINITY KAPPA 652.7i 225WATT 6.5 INCH CAR SPEAKERS
anyone have any experience with them?
cheers.
good guide by the way thumbsup

I had a set of Kappa's in my previous car, sounded great (tho they were running through an amp)
For the same sort of money you can get a good set of component speakers tho, and if you mount the tweeters up front it really helps to expand the sound stage (whereas the tweeters are directed straight into your ear in the standard position)
I have some JBL GTO components in at the moment, which sound great - very loud (as I found out when I fitted additional 4" speakers and couldn't hear them :beat: :rolleyes: )

Edit - These are the ones I have - low down frequency is a bit pants tho, so I'm currently in the process of making a sub box :)

Edited by mandarinvx, 11 September 2007 - 11:38 PM.

#10 Vespillo

Vespillo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • Interests:Computers,<br>Golf,<br>Snooker,<br>MY VX!!!!!!!!!!!!!,<br>Music (Dj'ing and making it)<br>as well as other obvious ones like getting pissed,<br>having a laugh with my mates, chilling with the family etc etc.

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:01 AM

This is something I need to do on mine, im sure they have blown, they sound v bad!
I was thinking of getting some of these:
INFINITY KAPPA 652.7i 225WATT 6.5 INCH CAR SPEAKERS
anyone have any experience with them?
cheers.
good guide by the way thumbsup

I had a set of Kappa's in my previous car, sounded great (tho they were running through an amp)
For the same sort of money you can get a good set of component speakers tho, and if you mount the tweeters up front it really helps to expand the sound stage (whereas the tweeters are directed straight into your ear in the standard position)
I have some JBL GTO components in at the moment, which sound great - very loud (as I found out when I fitted additional 4" speakers and couldn't hear them :beat: :rolleyes: )

Edit - These are the ones I have - low down frequency is a bit pants tho, so I'm currently in the process of making a sub box :)

cheers for the reply,

not sure im up to fitting tweaters etc, my skills will be maxed out just changiing the existing speakers :)
do you think those kapa speakers will sound ok without an amp?

#11 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:13 PM

Superb guide. thumbsup It even inspires someone as non mechanical as me to give it a go as the pictures are so clear.

#12 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:38 PM

One tip though stuff a rag down where the seatbelt comes out of the side panel as if you drop a screw coming out of the speaker housing it WILL end up down there and wrapping itself in the seatbelt mech... then you'll be stripping out the interior to get to it :angry: * not that I'd do anything so stupid of course :beat:

Edited by MrSimba, 12 September 2007 - 05:39 PM.

#13 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:31 PM

cheers for the reply,

not sure im up to fitting tweaters etc, my skills will be maxed out just changiing the existing speakers :)

They should sound fine mate - will be a massive improvement over the standard thumbsup

#14 andyroo

andyroo

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:08 AM

cheers for the reply,

They should sound fine mate - will be a massive improvement over the standard thumbsup

Where and how would you/did you mount the tweeters?

Thanks, 'Mandarin, King of First Replies TM'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users