4-point Harnesses

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 10 March 2003 - 07:24 PM

I've been considering upgrading the lame 3-points driver harness to some omp/sparco 4 point one..... anybody dealt with it before? I was quoted about 150 euro for one set, with aero-buckling.... observing the car today, I noticed that the metal frame that creates that pesky plasticky rear "headrest" is in reality one with the steel rollbar, hence very strong; being full of holes and openings, it could serve as a perfect attachment point for the 2 shoulder straps, once the 2 plastic covers are removed (mine are already)....

#2 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 10 March 2003 - 07:57 PM

There is a kit which fits the Elise which we think may work with the VX, however PaulB is taking a trip up to safety equipment in Cambridgeshire to see if one can be custom made. I'm gonna see if Vauxhall have some leads too. :D

#3 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  • Interests:Driving, wildlife photography, travel

Posted 10 March 2003 - 08:33 PM

The guy I was talking to at Safety Devices was off sick last week and is on holiday till Wednesday this week. I am still on the case (looking at FIA approved harnesses) Paul

#4 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 10 March 2003 - 08:37 PM

ok, in Italy FIA harnesses are racing only, not for road use, unless you leave the stock harnesses installed.....

#5 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 08:39 PM

There are some that are both FIA approved and road legal in the UK... I would be surprised if FIA approval made them not approved for road use. Just some don't meet both specs. Paul

#6 Homer J

Homer J

• Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:-

Posted 10 March 2003 - 09:07 PM

Hi Guys, Ive been looking for a four point harness, and as has been mentioned, safety devices have a comprehensive range, the four point competition hareness is FIA approved and is road legal. I am awaiting some more info on the bar, will ring tommorrow to chase that up. My local vauxhall dealer, where I purchased my VX, said that they would be able to fit the system, after assesing the work load and qouting an appropriate price. Vauxhall said that they do not deal in harenesses as yet. Safety devices said that I could fit it myself,...........mmmmmmmmm........ not very tech minded! I'll keep you posted. Cheers Nick :D

#7 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 09:09 PM

I had a Safety Devices unit in my TT and it was a doddle to fit. If you are dealing with Conrad, he's not in till Wednesday. Paul

#8 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:08 PM

I spoke to Conrad at Safety Devices today. They have fitted a VX before but don't have it as a standard product as they are not convinced there is a big market. The harness bar mount will need to be made to measure on a VX which they will need for a few days. They quoted around £560 +VAT for the bar and installation (custom fit). Harnesses (FIA Approved and Road Legal in the UK) would be £140+VAT each. So it is not a cheap option. I am happy for them to use my car as the base case as I am local and can leave it with them for a few days. If more people are interested and can commit up front, it may be possible to slightly reduce the cost of the bar (they can run more than one through the same jig settings) The harnesses are designed to allow the standard seat belts to remain in the car. Anybody interested in this? Paul

#9 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:18 PM

Ask em how much it would be for 10, does seem bloody expensive IMO though. Rekon we'd sell 10 and would be prepared to stump up cash.

#10 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:31 PM

The harness bar mount will need to be made to measure on a VX which they will need for a few days. They quoted around £560 +VAT for the bar and installation (custom fit). Harnesses (FIA Approved and Road Legal in the UK) would be £140+VAT each.

:o :blink: :o :blink: :o :blink:

I dunno what kinda deal is that, but I can get the BEST OMP 4 points belt for around 150 euros......and the bar......my god.....any steel/metal worker will be able to make one for little cash.....it's just a bar with two rings....

I will get these 4 point OMP harnesses for 61 euros vat included,
http://www.ompracing.it/homeen.htm
and will install myself using the headrest subframe, perfect for the task, full of holes to bolt the two shoulders straps........

560 gbp+vat... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
you guys must be really loaded.... :D :D :P

#11 Homer J

Homer J

• Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:-

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:32 PM

:o How much, Ye, I'd be interested for certain, see how much discount we can get from a "bulk" order. Nick

#12 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:38 PM

Certainly the bar seems a bit steep. The one for my TT was about £250. The harness could be a lower spec, cheaper one but this one fits my requirement of being roadlegal and FIA approved. The bar I had on my TT was very nicely engineered (Safety Devices core business is roll cages). I am not sure I would want to trust my safety to a bar knocked up in a little welding shop. This would be nicely powder coated and very sturdy. I will investigate further tomorrow. Paul

#13 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 09:16 PM

There are harness bars available for the Elise S1 and S2 for £100-£120. It can't be that difficult to fit it to the VX. Lotus also supply harnesses and harness bar for their Sport 190 model. All these options fit the roll bar with no drilling or modifications required. You could probably buy the full FIA roll hoop and diagonal bar fitted to the VX Sprint for £560. He's got to be taking the mick :o Speak to Geary at Eliseparts or Owen at Race Speed, both established suppliers for the Elise. I'm sure there is a cheaper option. I never thought this would be said, but call the Lotus Performace Centre, they could probably do it cheaper :P

#14 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 03:20 PM

Well, a bit more progress. Eliseparts said that their harness bar wouldn't fit the car. Race Speed weren't sure and so we are planning to meet up next week and offer one up to my car to see how it would work. I have gone back to Safety Devices to ask them to quote for 5 bars rather than a one off to see how significant their setup costs are. I would favour a Safety Devices unit if it can be got for under £300 or so. A slight tangential thought - do Palmersport have cars fitted with harnesses? If so, I will try to find out who makes them Paul

#15 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 03:32 PM

OK, just had a call from Safety Devices again. They stand by the £560 for the first one, but will then do them for £200 each for additional copies. These would all need to be ordered as a single batch so that the same jig settings could be used. Therefore price each is: 1 off £560 2 off £380 5 off £272 10 off £236 My gut feel is that we need at least 5 for this to be viable and reduce the price each if we get more. Anybody interested in joining me in this? I am willing for my car to be used as the measurement car for the time they need it for. Paul

#16 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 13 March 2003 - 03:48 PM

Two questions: Does the fitting of the bar require any cutting of the interior trim? Assuming they make it, would it be self fit? Well done for leg work :)

#17 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 04:09 PM

According to Safety Devices, it should be possible to self fit the bars if 'reasonably competant'. Sounds like a bit of trim removal and nothing else. I got the impression that some trim may require cutting but I am not sure. I am not bothered either way but will confirm this later. I guess until they get the car in they can't be certain so it would be safest to assume yes it would. Paul

#18 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 05:12 PM

Excellent Paul, good work. I'll definitely have one if you can get at least 5 confirmed orders together. Mail me off line if you need to make an upfront payment to Safety Devices. Gary

#19 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 13 March 2003 - 05:18 PM

My reason for asking on the trim cutting is that the Elise has two version, one needing cutting the other doesn't. If these are prety mcuh being designed for the car then I suggest we insist no cutting or trim at all. Its all very wel us not minding but not everyone will want harness's and selling the car with lumps out of the trim would look a bit crap. Its designed for us so at these prices we should get exactly waht we want. If you want I can buy it through the club to keep things simple and maybe get the VAT back ;)

#20 Dave T-S

Dave T-S

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 08:10 PM

Just a point on harness legality - I have them in my Impreza (to be replaced with a VX220 turbo subject to test flight this Saturday:D) - they are road legal provided they are E marked, and they will probably have to be in FIA date (if marked) to get past an eagle eyed MOT examiner:) After all, every WRC car that competes on the Network Q rally and is used on the road sections complies with legalities - and no OEM belts fitted with these:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users