Traction Control

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#1 Buchos

Buchos

• Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:39 PM

Just finished my Racelogic install and took advantage of the very wet evening. Filled the VXT up, set the TC to wet, and slid out of the filling station with just noticable misses keeping the car from getting out of hand and kept the throttle flat on the floor out into the twisty countryside all the way up to (ahem) very fast indeed. :D

I am astounded how good this feels after only a few miles. The car felt much faster and more controlled than I would ever have thought possible in the wet. This could certainly be a life saver.

Attached File  racelogic_adj.jpg   44.68KB   108 downloads

The controller luckily fits well in the only space on the dash, it matches in so well the radio now looks out of place.

Just need to sort the clutch switch for the full throttle shift and launch control.

It was all fairly easy to set up, though if someone knows the number of ABS pulses per revolution of the front and rear wheels it would be helpful, I have it set to 40 front and rear at the minute. thumbsup

Edited by Buchos, 28 December 2007 - 11:51 PM.

#2 qwertyvx

qwertyvx

• Pip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:14 AM

Random question but what do the switches on the centre brace do???

Edited by qwertyvx, 29 December 2007 - 12:31 AM.

#3 Buchos

Buchos

• Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:33 AM

Random question but what do the switches on the centre brace do???
Also, how much power does your car have at the moment.

The switches are to turn the ABS and Traction Control off. I fitted the brace purely to fit these switches on and changed the smaller LEDs on the side to show the switch state.

I have a dyno print out from the prev owner showing 281bhp, though I'd say closer to 250. I'll know for sure when I get it tested again in the New Year.

#4 Lou1s Cyphre

Lou1s Cyphre

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:09 AM

I must say from an aesthetic point of view that looks spot on Imnotworthy. Couple of questions. 1. How much did the kit cost? 2. Did you install it yourself / how difficult was it? My VXT has 298BHP and mountains of torque so the Traction control is becoming a bit of a necessity particularly this time of year.

#5 rik

rik

while (vx < 340) { vx++; }

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:09 AM

It was all fairly easy to set up, though if someone knows the number of ABS pulses per revolution of the front and rear wheels it would be helpful, I have it set to 40 front and rear at the minute. thumbsup

I had the same question, asked RL themseves and they said it doesn't matter as long as front and rear are the same

edit: I still don't trust mine, so please be careful/catious :)

Edited by rik, 29 December 2007 - 10:10 AM.

#6 Buchos

Buchos

• Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:08 PM

I must say from an aesthetic point of view that looks spot on Imnotworthy. Couple of questions.

1. How much did the kit cost?
2. Did you install it yourself / how difficult was it?

My VXT has 298BHP and mountains of torque so the Traction control is becoming a bit of a necessity particularly this time of year.

1. Hey, my wife might see this :9mm: lots, but cheaper than dying. I bought it from TMS who are slightly cheaper than buying direct from Racelogic

2. Pretty easy to install. Cutting into the injector loom sounds ominous, but once you have the wire colors its simple, same goes for the ABS, couple of hours max for a neat job. A good feature is the ability to easily link it out if you think its giving a problem.

The hardest thing I found was getting a bundle of cables from the engine to the dash on the VX. I followed the gear link cables (Inc some heat shield over the exhaust) through the gear stick console.

The Digital adjuster allows you to do most of the setups you can do with a laptop and also shows the diagnostic graphs. I set up the wheel sizes (I've 16's up front), pulses as mentioned and away I went.

I could ramble on a bit, but as Riks original 'how to' has lost its pictures I could add some pics and details of this install on the end of his guide. I also have the wire colors as some are different on the Turbo.

Attached File  thumb001.jpg   59.29KB   32 downloads

#7 rik

rik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:52 PM

still got the pics if anyone wants them, just let me know

#8 danger7

danger7

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:56 PM

The racelogic system is great provided you're ECU doesn't detect a hard engine cut, at which point you'll go onto two or three cylinders (The ECU is detecting for misfires so when the traction control cuts the cylinders the ECU thinks its a failure so it cuts the injector to save against cylinder damage). No problem switch the engine off and restart and the ECU resets, however you'll have to go to a Vauxhall garage to have the fault code removed which is just a reset on the comm. Its only a problem when youre doing track days with very tight hairpins I found. You can reprogramme the ECU to stop the detection altogether but i got round it by adjusting the levels. Has anyone else experiened similar problems? and would fitting the VXR wheel sensors help? Cheers Ian

#9 rik

rik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:07 PM

No problem switch the engine off and restart and the ECU resets, however you'll have to go to a Vauxhall garage to have the fault code removed which is just a reset on the comm. Its only a problem when youre doing track days with very tight hairpins I found.

You can reset this yourself with a very cheap device

Has anyone else experiened similar problems? and would fitting the VXR wheel sensors help?

still I've never had this, but i'm only a crappy n/a owner

#10 danger7

danger7

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:23 PM

No problem switch the engine off and restart and the ECU resets, however you'll have to go to a Vauxhall garage to have the fault code removed which is just a reset on the comm. Its only a problem when youre doing track days with very tight hairpins I found.

You can reset this yourself with a very cheap device

Has anyone else experiened similar problems? and would fitting the VXR wheel sensors help?

still I've never had this, but i'm only a crappy n/a owner

Thanks for the advice, and there's nothing crappy about n/a's in terms of handling & traction - sweet much better than a turbo had to go to Nitrons and a geo just to get mine something like - cost a bloody fortune - heavy git (oh and the car)

Happy New Year
Ian

#11 bohemoth

bohemoth

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:02 PM

B) B) what a gadget. thats as far as my technical knowledge goes

#12 Buchos

Buchos

• Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:54 PM

still got the pics if anyone wants them, just let me know

Yes, around last week would have been good :D

I've been shooting about with the TC all day trying all sorts. In the wet its astounding, but I find it a bit harder to judge the best setting in the dry and had a few 'moments'. At the minute I'm forcing it to work its ass off, but ultimately it will just be a backup.

On my first run a few nights back while doing the recommended setup routine it misfired hard a lot and my engine light came on and it ran home on three just as you say. I checked the settings on the digital jobbie and ABS pulses and wheel sizes were all over the place, plus smoothing was set to zero.

Corrected the settings and no problems since. I did not think the VXR wheel sensors were any different, just the ABS ECU?

#13 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:48 AM

Corrected the settings and no problems since. I did not think the VXR wheel sensors were any different, just the ABS ECU?

The VXR has the same 4 channel ABS as the Lotus Exige where as the VXT just has 2 channel ABS.

#14 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:12 AM

You have been busy over Christmas :rolleyes: Looks like a very proffesional instal and I like the location on the dash. Just be careful on those test runs.

#15 vxr36

vxr36

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:38 PM

I think the pulse is indeed 40 but to get a more accurate speed reading I used the following set-up for VXR wheels and the speed is consistant throughout the range even though the rears appear to have a smaller diameter. Trial and error I guess. Took a while but mine are spot on now. Fronts= 660mm and 35 pulses Driven= 634mm and 35 pulses I can send you my settings file if you PM me.

Edited by vxr36, 30 December 2007 - 07:39 PM.

#16 Buchos

Buchos

• Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:42 AM

I think the pulse is indeed 40 ......Trial and error I guess. Took a while but mine are spot on now.
I can send you my settings file if you PM me.

Thats interesting I'd like to try that, have sent a PM with my email address.

#17 vxr36

vxr36

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:07 PM

I think the pulse is indeed 40 ......Trial and error I guess. Took a while but mine are spot on now.
I can send you my settings file if you PM me.

Thats interesting I'd like to try that, have sent a PM with my email address.

I have sent you the file.

I should just mention that I am on Speedlines and A048s.

#18 c_w

c_w

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:28 PM

Just need to sort the clutch switch for the full throttle shift and launch control.

The clutch switch isn't necessary for the launch control, so if everything else is working properly, the launch control should do too.

Come to a stop and press the launch button, then press the throttle down and it should be held on the pre-set launch control rev limit, set off and the rev limit won't be released until you have full traction/speed goes past the rpm level. TBH, I reckon this is a bit of a gimmicky feature of the Racelogic kit, I suppose unless you have monster power which is very difficult to control setting off (but then the actual traction control should do it's job here).

Edited by c_w, 31 December 2007 - 01:30 PM.

#19 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:49 PM

TBH, I reckon this is a bit of a gimmicky feature

I've never used it in nearly two years. Keep thinking I should perhaps on a low rev setting just to see how it does, but so far haven't got round to it. The TC doesn't kick in very often, it's usually at junctions etc when rather than flooring it I'm just trying to nip out smartish, and more predictably - off roundabouts. :P

#20 manus

manus

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:13 PM

The racelogic system is great provided you're ECU doesn't detect a hard engine cut, at which point you'll go onto two or three cylinders (The ECU is detecting for misfires so when the traction control cuts the cylinders the ECU thinks its a failure so it cuts the injector to save against cylinder damage). No problem switch the engine off and restart and the ECU resets, however you'll have to go to a Vauxhall garage to have the fault code removed which is just a reset on the comm. Its only a problem when youre doing track days with very tight hairpins I found.

You can reprogramme the ECU to stop the detection altogether but i got round it by adjusting the levels.

Cheers
Ian

I've experienced the same problems. (Only on the circuit.) I have reprogrammed the ECU not to detect misfires anymore by increasing the lower limit up to 9999 RPM. (lower limit is there for the engine to stop/start)
I find it very dangerous when this 'safety program' cuts in suddenly and your car drops from 350BHP to 50 and you have no time to explain to the cars chasing behind you.... :blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users