• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 njc11

njc11

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:52 AM

Anyone else fitted or got one to fit to there 2.2 16v? My plan was to fit it last night.. but i think its designed for the VXT... as its not fitting where its supposed too?? there aint enough room etc.. Is the VXT's header tank bracket (the bit the tank fits too) different to the N/A? Because that would explain it maybe! Anyone? Cheers Nick chinky chinky

#2 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:00 PM

get a pic of the turbo and na engine bay.. pretty sure the na is different..

Posted Image

Edited by Guy182, 22 April 2008 - 12:01 PM.

#3 njc11

njc11

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:23 PM

Guy, Cheers for that pic thumbsup Yep it is different and there is much more space in the VXT.. especially between the header tank and induction pipe.. Im thinking the breather tank sits between the two.. (from Alex's comments last week) Alex is back in at pro Alloy tomorrow.. so will find out for certain.. i'll get him to send me a pic so i can see.. Im sure we can get sommit sorted... well i hope so!! Cheers Nick chinky chinky

#4 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:24 PM

yeah it sits up at the top of the pic there..

#5 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

Posted Image

#6 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:26 PM

I'll be interested to hear how you get on Nick. I'm booked in at Courtenays on the 8th and 9th for them to fit this, along with the fuel tank and rad. I've got my rear clam off at the moment if you want a picture of the real available space?

#7 njc11

njc11

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:34 PM

Posted Image

Looking at this pic, theres no chance of it fitting there in an N/A especially if your still running a standard air box.. (mine is modded but still standard to look at)

If you have an after market induction kit with a pipe rather than the box it may work..

BUT, Im sure the header tank bracket on the VXT is different in design (only slightly..) but it also sits at a different angle, again only slighlty... if this is the case.. & you had an after market induction kit, so you had the space for the breather bottle, the angled bracket on the breather bottle might be set at the wrong position to sit right..??? Im sure Alex will confirm! thumbsup

Cheers

Nick
chinky chinky

#8 njc11

njc11

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

This is now fitted..

It turns out i have a bracket fitted to my car which usually is only meant for vectra / zafira... Mark at Courtenay pointed this out after he eventually got this pic.. He's never seen one on a VX220 before!

Posted Image

If you look in the middle'ish of the photo, you can see something which resembles a pawn from a chess set...this sits on a bracket used to secure the fancy plastic engine covers they have on these days.. To the left of the pawn is a stud with a nut on, this is one of 2 fixings holding this bracket in place (the other fixing is a bolt..) i removed the nut and bolt and snipped any cable ties then pulled the bracket clear.. With all that removed you can see how the breather bottle now sits... ive put a little thread lock on the stud just to make sure it doesnt rattle loose and used a couple of cable ties to keep the wireing loom etc away from the EGR

Posted Image

Im happy with it sitting here but before anyone asks there is plenty of clearance once the boot lid s closed..

My only gripe now is, the lid stands out like a sore thumb!! lol!! so will probably spray this black!

Cheers

Nick
chinky chinky

Edited by njc11, 13 June 2008 - 01:32 PM.

#9 Jameshs

Jameshs

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts
  • Interests:Cars and Rock Climbing

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:31 AM

This is now fitted..

It turns out i have a bracket fitted to my car which usually is only meant for vectra / zafira... Mark at Courtenay pointed this out after he eventually got this pic.. He's never seen one on a VX220 before!

Posted Image

If you look in the middle'ish of the photo, you can see something which resembles a pawn from a chess set...this sits on a bracket used to secure the fancy plastic engine covers they have on these days.. To the left of the pawn is a stud with a nut on, this is one of 2 fixings holding this bracket in place (the other fixing is a bolt..) i removed the nut and bolt and snipped any cable ties then pulled the bracket clear.. With all that removed you can see how the breather bottle now sits... ive put a little thread lock on the stud just to make sure it doesnt rattle loose and used a couple of cable ties to keep the wireing loom etc away from the EGR

Posted Image

Im happy with it sitting here but before anyone asks there is plenty of clearance once the boot lid s closed..

My only gripe now is, the lid stands out like a sore thumb!! lol!! so will probably spray this black!

Cheers

Nick
chinky chinky

Mine has those brackets and they are used to hold the crappy plastic engine cover on that the vx doesnt come with

#10 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:46 PM

That's where we settled on mounting it when Courtenays fitted mine a month or so back. The cap does look a little strange through the vents so I coloured mine in with a black permanent marker (although it does look more like purple when viewed close up). Didn't have the weird pawn on mine though.

Posted Image

#11 Jameshs

Jameshs

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:52 AM

Where do you get these from as i am after one for my na

#12 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:16 PM

Got mine via a Group Buy on this site from ProAlloy. It doesn't appear to be listed under the fast road parts for the VX220 but worth calling them or pm'ing Alex Os on here, who I believe commissioned/prototyped it.

#13 Jameshs

Jameshs

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:42 PM

Got mine via a Group Buy on this site from ProAlloy. It doesn't appear to be listed under the fast road parts for the VX220 but worth calling them or pm'ing Alex Os on here, who I believe commissioned/prototyped it.

Is it difficult to fit and how much does it cost? Did you change the gearbox oil at the same time?

#14 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:55 PM

Is it difficult to fit and how much does it cost? Did you change the gearbox oil at the same time?

I think it was about £90 on the group buy. There are cheaper DIY options out there though. Any of the universal breathers from Demon Tweeks etc would be fine (there's also a a guide to just fitting an extended pipe here). Easy enough to fit, just a bit fiddly to get the hose and jubilee clip over the gearbox filler hole. Can be accessed from above through the engine bay. Seems like the logical place to mount it on the NA as well, as it's almost directly above the gearbox filler.

And, no, didn't change the gearbox oil at the time but it's on the list of things to do next time the diffuser and undertray are off. thumbsup

Edited by techieboy, 19 June 2008 - 12:56 PM.

#15 Jameshs

Jameshs

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:20 PM

I think it was about £90 on the group buy. There are cheaper DIY options out there though. Any of the universal breathers from Demon Tweeks etc would be fine (there's also a a guide to just fitting an extended pipe here). Easy enough to fit, just a bit fiddly to get the hose and jubilee clip over the gearbox filler hole. Can be accessed from above through the engine bay. Seems like the logical place to mount it on the NA as well, as it's almost directly above the gearbox filler.

And, no, didn't change the gearbox oil at the time but it's on the list of things to do next time the diffuser and undertray are off. thumbsup

Is it best to use a crimped piece of tube or get an actaully breather? Sorry if the questions are a bit simple

#16 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:35 PM

I'd say a proper catch tank/breather would be the best option but I'm sure the hose mod is probably sufficient in most scenarios. As long as it's not spewing onto your nearside rear wheel or atomising and coating the rear clam, go for the cheaper option. You can always add a breather onto the end of the hose at a later date if you're not happy.

#17 Jameshs

Jameshs

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:37 PM

I'd say a proper catch tank/breather would be the best option but I'm sure the hose mod is probably sufficient in most scenarios. As long as it's not spewing onto your nearside rear wheel or atomising and coating the rear clam, go for the cheaper option. You can always add a breather onto the end of the hose at a later date if you're not happy.

True, so all the catch tank does is catch the oil? does it redrain into the gearbox or is that a manual operation? Whats with some of these breathers having an air filter on top and some not?

#18 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:53 PM

They literally just catch any atomised or excess oil coming out of the gearbox (or cam cover or crankcase if you have them hooked up). It's a case of manually draining, as and when necessary. I think the filter is just there to vent the container to atmosphere, to prevent any pressure build up. In the case of the ProAlloy tank, there is a valve integrated in the red top that allows it to breathe as needed.

#19 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

where does the output of the catch tank plumb in? (thats an old pic isn't it Matt!)

#20 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

goes back into the top of the gearbox doesnt it :unsure:

Edited by joe_589, 02 January 2012 - 01:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users