• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 subseamac

subseamac

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

We have an opportunity to finally get a proper Aero diffuser made up to our own spec at a very reasonable price (circa £100)

If you are interested to participate in the design/specification let me know, and post your requirements on here

If you are just interested to get the finished product when it's available, let me know too!

#2 thelynxeffect

thelynxeffect

• PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:30 PM

We have an opportunity to finally get a proper Aero diffuser made up to our own spec at a very reasonable price (circa £100)

If you are interested to participate in the design/specification let me know, and post your requirements on here

If you are just interested to get the finished product when it's available, let me know too!

Yipee, lets start a list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (even though I suspect thats not what your after)

1. Thelynxeffect - Race Style i.e. it works, powder coated black

#3 carl1977

carl1977

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:35 PM

Providing it works, looks cool, id be up for one, was going to get a tat custom one next month, but if this will be more effective...........

#4 smithers

smithers

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:36 PM

Yipee, lets start a list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (even though I suspect thats not what your after)

everyone loves a list!

2. Smithers - if it works and it looks better than a shelf I'll buy one (powder coated black)

#5 subseamac

subseamac

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:41 PM

A race diffuser is going to stick out a fair old amount, minimum 5cm, probably more.

If that puts you off, I suggest we start a Looks diffuser list, with a diffuser that doesn't stick out, and potentially with shorter vertical vanes

#6 smithers

smithers

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:50 PM

I've been reading the posts about this, so I don't really care if it sticks out by 5-7cm, as long as it doesn't look like an ikea bookshelf tacked to the bottom of the car :lol: keep up the good work! I suppose a picture of the finished article in situ will be the deal breaker for most people

#7 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:17 PM

Good work subseamac chinky chinky I'm a definite for a proper Aero diffuser. As I'll only put it on for track days I don't care if it sticks out 5 or 8cm's as long as it works thumbsup oh and black powder coated would be nice :) 1. Thelynxeffect - Race Style i.e. it works, powder coated black 2. Smithers - if it works and it looks better than a shelf I'll buy one (powder coated black) 3. VXT'ED - Proper aero/ race style, powder coated black.

#8 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,642 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:32 PM

Some thing for the front would be cool
and anything that don't look like an RSJ for the sides even better

I could make mock ups in poly if you want :lol:
Posted Image
It's all top quality work :P

#9 M3VXT

M3VXT

• Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:49 PM

Yep put me down for Aero diffuser, I would be very interested to see what it looks like!!! When roughly would you be looking for payment/delivery?

#10 Astranomical102

Astranomical102

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:13 PM

1. Thelynxeffect - Race Style i.e. it works, powder coated black 2. Smithers - if it works and it looks better than a shelf I'll buy one (powder coated black) 3. VXT'ED - Proper aero/ race style, powder coated black. 4. M3VXT 5. Baron Von Scubadaddy ? 6. Astranomical102 - Race Style i.e. it works, powder coated black thumbsup

#11 m4t7y

m4t7y

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:16 PM

1. Thelynxeffect - Race Style i.e. it works, powder coated black 2. Smithers - if it works and it looks better than a shelf I'll buy one (powder coated black) 3. VXT'ED - Proper aero/ race style, powder coated black. 4. M3VXT 5. Baron Von Scubadaddy ? 6. Astranomical102 - Race Style i.e. it works, powder coated black thumbsup 7. m4t7y

#12 M3VXT

M3VXT

• Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:28 PM

2. Smithers - if it works and it looks better than a shelf I'll buy one (powder coated black)
3. VXT'ED - Proper aero/ race style, powder coated black.
4. M3VXT - Race style Powder coated matt/satin black
5. Baron Von Scubadaddy ?
6. Astranomical102 - Race Style i.e. it works, powder coated black thumbsup
7. m4t7y

#13 subseamac

subseamac

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:12 PM

Perfect, that's a great response so far. A13x is going to see him tomorrow morning. Liam will take some measurements for our undertrays etc and then I'm planning to have a chat with him about options.

He's into his aero stuff as I mentioned earlier, working with some Lotus race cars on side skirts etc to get proper downforce on the cars. What I'm aiming to achieve with him is a diffuser that is effective on it's own, but that can also be coupled with further aero mods if somebody eventually wants to go for a full aero package i.e side skirts/front dam etc. Emphasis will be on easily removable kit so that occasional trackday users can quickly kit-up their car but equally easily remove the stuff for everyday use if needed.

From the feedback so far, it's clear that black coating is desirable, so thanks for that bit of feedback. It's almost certain that in order to clear the exhaust hump the diffuser will be mounted on 20mm or so spacers at the back which will aid on two fronts (1) it will improve ventilation and cooling and (2) it will reduce the angle of the rear diffuser from the current 12-13 degrees to 7-9 which is a lot better for high speed stability. A diffuser that sticks out but also follows the curve of the exhaust hump would probably cost more and be less effective. Views on this aspect would be welcome. To seed the debate here are a few pics of a one-off diffuser that sticks out a bit and has a bend although the vanes are too short etc, courtesy of Chris off the french forum

Posted Image
Posted Image

I am hoping that our resident aero experts (see winstar's simulations in previous posts)
Posted Image

will soon join the debate and help us spec finer details like the exact spacing and depth of the vertical vanes and how best to deal with the engine undertray etc in order to have the entire underbody work as a whole to produce downforce. I am sure that Liam will have invaluable input as he designs this stuff for Lotus race teams and our cars' undertrays can't be that different.

#14 m4t7y

m4t7y

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:21 PM

1. Thelynxeffect - Race Style i.e. it works, powder coated black 2. Smithers - if it works and it looks better than a shelf I'll buy one (powder coated black) 3. VXT'ED - Proper aero/ race style, powder coated black. 4. M3VXT - Race style Powder coated matt/satin black 5. Baron Von Scubadaddy ? 6. Astranomical102 - Race Style i.e. it works, powder coated black thumbsup 7. m4t7y - Powder coated mat black & for everyday use

Edited by m4t7y, 12 June 2008 - 07:21 PM.

#15 carl1977

carl1977

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:15 PM

1. Thelynxeffect - Race Style i.e. it works, powder coated black 2. Smithers - if it works and it looks better than a shelf I'll buy one (powder coated black) 3. VXT'ED - Proper aero/ race style, powder coated black. 4. M3VXT - Race style Powder coated matt/satin black 5. Baron Von Scubadaddy ? 6. Astranomical102 - Race Style i.e. it works, powder coated black thumbsup 7. m4t7y - Powder coated mat black & for everyday use 8. Carl1977 If the diffuser is on 20mm spacers at the back, then this leave a big gap at the back between the diffuser and the bodywork, will be a pretty big gap for stones to get in and rattle about, any chance of a lip to cover this gap so will fit flush with the body?

#16 Matt

Matt

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:48 PM

Having a lip surely would remove the added cooling by having it sat away from the clam? Also would there be cut out's to match or improve on the std diffuser to help with cooling through the engine bay?

#17 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:04 PM

A diffuser that sticks out but also follows the curve of the exhaust hump would probably cost more and be less effective.

Winstar stated in the previous thread, curving the diffuser round the exhaust hump will disrupt the air flow and create a high pressure region so keep it straight thumbsup Personally I would also want to keep the gap between diffuser/ bodywork as an aid to cooling so as far as the race type goes, think tool not show.

subseamac I'd also be interested in the other aero aids you've mentioned- I need as much help as possible getting round the bendy stuff :P

Dave

#18 subseamac

subseamac

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:20 AM

ok I'll ask Liam to base his design on a flat rear section that doesn't bend round the exhaust, but I'll also ask him if He could provide and add-on (mesh or lip) for those who do not want the gap. Either way, we'll make sure that ventilation is greatly improved vs the standard one. One thing in particular I need comments on is the height of the vertical vanes. Ideally they need to "prolong" the front and mid undertrays, i.e if you drew a line alongside the mid undertray, the vertical vanes on our diffuser should follow that line (certainly the two side vanes), so they will look quite tall, probably like the TAT tall version maybe a bit more. To keep the costs down Liam will probably ask for a straight 90 degree edge to the vanes. (1) Is that going to put people off (2) we need to be able to put a lowered car on a flatbed with the diffuser on without it scraping when the car is at an angle, so that must be the limit to which we can make the diffuser stick out/down. I saw a lowered VXT with Thorney's diffusers just about scrape their bottom when pulled on a flatbed - I am assuming the racers don't want to have to remove their diffuser to put the car on a flatbed?? Keep the comments coming thumbsup

Edited by subseamac, 13 June 2008 - 06:22 AM.

#19 Code Monkey

Code Monkey

forum whore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:45 AM

Would it have much effect on the overall effectiveness by having a slight increase on the radius at the back of the downward blades? That way putting the car on to a flat bed would have a better chance of not scraping on the last point

#20 A13X

A13X

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:41 PM

Well ive just got back from speaking to Liam, ended up there for hours and is a nice bloke. He's taken a few measurements for the rear diffuser and is going away to have a look and create some designs. Ive pointed him to the two diffuser threads on here and also to JawZ's site for some ideas. Then im going back on thr 23rd where he'l have the car for a week or so. This will give him some time to work with the CAD engineers and fabricators. Hopefully then there will be a prototype and we'l do some test fits and adjustments. Then there should shortly after be a finished product. After this there will hopefully be the option of a front splitter and other aero aids. He's been very busy currently designing stuff for the S1 and so make take some time. I think it would be fair to say to wait for a prototype, where we can get pictures fitted and then get some feedback as to any possible improvements. Once a completed product is made then we could then start a typical vx220.org style group buy thread...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users