• Please log in to reply
417 replies to this topic

#1 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:25 PM

Spose I'd better open this by pointing out I have no affiliation with Compomotive, nor will I gain financially, or get any form of discount :)

Sooo...

Following on from a number of other threads I have investigated the possibility of getting a set of wheels made up as per the VXR speedlines. Speedline have point blank refused to produce any more, however the guys in the Speedline distribution centre suggested I try Compomotive as they *cough*copied* both the 5 and 6 spoke designs from Speedline. (the guy in the Speedline centre used to work for Compomotive, so he should know I spose!)

I know a few guys from Compomotive (as I'm running their 6-spoke wheels at the moment) so made some inquiries:

They have said that they will be able to make up both the 16"x7" front and the 17"x8" rear; the fronts will have an offset of 20mm (as per the TMS TD1.2s etc..) and the rears an offset of 35mm (as per standard/Speedline). Tyre widths that can be run on these wheels are 195-225 on the front and 215-245 on the rear.

However, they do not have the casts as part of their normal production hence this will be a special run, and the casts will need re-conditioning, hence there is a minimum order quantity of 60 of each wheel (ie 30 sets in total) required to make this worth their while.

I went in and met the director, who gave me a tour around and showed me some of the wheels they had hidden away from yester-year out back (they tend to knock off a couple of extras as spares):

Fronts (very dusty!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rears

The 'dish' will not be as pronounced on the ET35 (a clearer picture will follow) as these rear wheels in these pictures have a very low offset

Posted Image

Posted Image

Both together

Posted Image

These are heavy wheels (as per the original VXR Speedlines) but they are going to use some clever machining to reduce the weight which should bring the rears out somewhere around 11 kilos (obv. the fronts will be less). They are going to model them to get an accurate weight, and also provide a picture of what the rear will look like with a slightly smaller 'dish'

They will be available in a choice of colours:

Black
Gold
Silver
Anthracite
White

Which can (kind of!) be seen here B)

Posted Image

And....

The price - they will be £618 all in for this group buy only - that includes VAT and shipping to UK - shipping to EU would be an additional £15

But we need 30 sets, failing that a dealer may have to take some, but then there will be quite a mark up after the group buy has finished...

:)

#2 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:27 PM

So in true .org fashion: 1. Mandarinvx - 1 set

#3 Garethj

Garethj

• Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:43 PM

1. Mandarinvx - 1 set 2. garethj - 1 set

#4 boghouse

boghouse

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • Interests:Anything fast or dangerous, motorsport, seeing the world....

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:53 PM

1. Mandarinvx - 1 set
2. garethj - 1 set

3. Boghouse- 1 set (undecided on black or anthracite though)

#5 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:01 PM

Oooh, and ps - please only put you're name down if you know that you want a set (and will have the money available in the next few weeks / month)

We need to know exact numbers as a minimum of 30 sets is required before production starts.

Money will need to be paid prior to production (well, at least 50% deposit, with the remainder prior to despatch).

Compomotive have told me they will take 4-6 weeks to prepare/cast/machine/powdercoat, which will begin from date of order (or in this case all deposits being recieved!)

#6 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:15 PM

1. Mandarinvx - 1 set 2. garethj - 1 set 3. Boghouse- 1 set (undecided on black or anthracite though) 4. Strugs - 2 sets

#7 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:46 PM

Good idea adding the colour thumbsup 1. Mandarinvx - 1 set - Black 2. garethj - 1 set 3. Boghouse- 1 set (undecided on black or anthracite though) 4. Strugs - 2 sets

#8 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:51 PM

Good idea adding the colour thumbsup

:yeahthat:

1. Mandarinvx - 1 set - Black
2. garethj - 1 set
3. Boghouse- 1 set (undecided on black or anthracite though)
4. Strugs - 2 sets (both black methinks..)

#9 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:25 AM

1. Mandarinvx - 1 set - Black 2. garethj - 1 set 3. Boghouse- 1 set (undecided on black or anthracite though) 4. Strugs - (both black methinks..) 5. Strugs - (both black methinks..) 6. Winstar - Black 7. Winstar - Sliver I surggest if you want more than one set enter your name twice then it's easier to know when we've hit the magic 30.

Edited by Winstar, 16 June 2008 - 07:25 AM.

#10 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:58 AM

1. Mandarinvx Black 2. garethj 3. Boghouse- 4. Strugs - black methinks.. 5. Strugs - black methinks.. 6. Winstar - Black 7. Winstar - Sliver 8. JG - Black

#11 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:10 AM

I surggest if you want more than one set enter your name twice then it's easier to know when we've hit the magic 30.

Good thinking.. thumbsup

1. Mandarinvx Black
2. garethj
3. Boghouse-
4. Strugs - black
5. Strugs - black [Will 'give up' this set if we reach 30 and some people have missed out.. Or keep 'em and sell later at an enormous profit.. ;)]
6. Winstar - Black
7. Winstar - Sliver
8. JG - Black

#12 Phil T

Phil T

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:35 AM

Hmm, i was just thinking these or td 1.2s but then I looked at the price difference and its £118 so ill have to stick with the td's so the money can go to tyres

#13 two4oneuk

two4oneuk

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:25 PM

1. Mandarinvx Black 2. garethj 3. Boghouse- 4. Strugs - black 5. Strugs - black [Will 'give up' this set if we reach 30 and some people have missed out.. Or keep 'em and sell later at an enormous profit.. ] 6. Winstar - Black 7. Winstar - Sliver 8. JG - Black 9. two4oneuk - Black

#14 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:39 PM

As promised - some modelled images of the actual wheels :)

Rear - 8J 17" ET35

Posted Image

Front - 7J 16" ET25 (not sure whether to go for ET20 or ET25 tbh)

Posted Image

As above the model shows them with an offset of 25 as per the original VXR sizes, but not sure whether to widen the track slightly as per TD1.2's and go for ET20 :unsure:

Weights - with the above offsets the rear comes in at 10.5kgs and the front comes in at 8.1kgs - so better than expected :D

#15 cthomas443

cthomas443

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:14 PM

1. mandarinvx - black 2. garethj 3. Boghouse - 4. strugs - black 5. strugs - black 6. Winstar - black 7. Winstar - silver 8. JG - black 9. two4oneuk - black 10. cthomas443 - anthracite

Edited by cthomas443, 16 June 2008 - 06:16 PM.

#16 Stampy 21

Stampy 21

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:20 PM

dam it now everyones car is going to look like mine :beat: :D

Posted Image

they do look very nice tho i bet white would look cool on a black or blue car

#17 Nikov

Nikov

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:55 AM

1. mandarinvx - black 2. garethj 3. Boghouse - 4. strugs - black 5. strugs - black 6. Winstar - black 7. Winstar - silver 8. JG - black 9. two4oneuk - black 10. cthomas443 - anthracite 11. Nikov - black (satin?)

#18 MEAGY

MEAGY

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:49 AM

I would say 20 fronts & 30 rears, same asthe TDs..... I hate it when it all comes at once, insurance, MOT, tyres, new front clam, holiday.....now this! I just dont know what to do (as he taps his credit card on the desk)...lol :rolleyes:

#19 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:52 PM

(satin?)

Yep thumbsup - there's a pic of mine in this thread :)

I would say 20 fronts & 30 rears, same asthe TDs.....

I hate it when it all comes at once, insurance, MOT, tyres, new front clam, holiday.....now this! I just dont know what to do (as he taps his credit card on the desk)...lol :rolleyes:

Ahhh go on go on :poke: :D

#20 FightingDonkey

FightingDonkey

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:04 PM

1. mandarinvx - black 2. garethj 3. Boghouse - 4. strugs - black 5. strugs - black 6. Winstar - black 7. Winstar - silver 8. JG - black 9. two4oneuk - black 10. cthomas443 - anthracite 11. Nikov - black (satin?) 12. FightingDonkey - black

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users