My Tms Stage 5

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 iram

iram

• Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:59 PM

I would like to say and will, Credit where credit is due to John and all the boys and girls at TMS for my Stage 5 turbo. It has been a long and stressful journey for TMS team to continue there pursuit with the stage 5. but i asked them to use my car and take the baton where andrew left off, i knew what i was letting myself in for and let john know i understood it wasn't going to be a 5 min job and time and patients where required in abundance. Being my own boss and having experienced stress, being let down by suppliers increase in time scale, stupidities, trouble shooting, on a daily basis, johns frustrations during the work got a knowing nod from me when i received updates on progress on a regular basis. Background got my standard vxt new oct 2005 got pissed off with it after a thousand miles because of the lack of brakes and the dead spot that everyone can relate to! so had a stage 2 (nov 05 ) with mintex pads. Had it a whole year chucked some more money at the "ol girl" went to a stage 4 (oct 06)at the time 270hp with the Clutch,APs,Nitrons. ran it for 6 months march starting to get warm did the 16" 17" team dynamic combination with R888s. Nov 07 came cracked my cast manifold decided i didn't want another one, read the forum regards to the cracked manifolds and the stage 5 debacle, so i asked john to put on a steel one and of course carry on with the turbo etc, also ABS switch and LSD. we decided Not to do the internals at this time and we agreed to cap the power at a agreed level and that if things went pear shape at a later date we would do the internals. So enough of all that what is it like the answer fkin quick the last dino run came out at 337.7hp and 350ftlbs of torque late on a hot afternoon after a days testing at 24 degrees ambient temp so some may say more in a cool morning! i would show you the map but it was in the passenger foot well and shot under the seat when i hit the gas never to be seen again lol, forum search required on getting A4 sheets of paper from under the seat! Is the power controllable the answer is yes the power comes in progressive and then hits you like a frickin freight train in your back at full chat, but this is all up to you regards to how far and how fast you hit the gas! no real lead/lag to talk of and you can come off the gas and stop it from red lining going back to my first point; "you are in control of the car and not the car in control of you!" Is there a noticeable difference yes, every time i have had a stage upgrade the characteristics have changed as we all know a small change is a big change on a vx a few psi in a tyre makes a change for god sake, so it makes life interesting upgrading the ol girl, standard very safe, stage 2 refined, how they should of turned it out from the factory! stage 4 awesome. This time its a beast of a car less power than my stage 4 at revs lower than 2500 which is fine because it allows you to cruise through a village in a sedately manor in 4th and get your heart rate down, then knock it down a gear and hit it and your off again! the power was the same 800 rpm lower down than before lower than 3000 on my stage 4, then it levels out to 3500 like a stage 4 then it builds at 4000 rpm you are there turbo whizzing away and no sign of power tailing off under 6500 rpm brutal!!!!! Running temps! well it is actually running allot cooler than before! very really does the fan come on and a sweet brakes out on my brow as the gauge shoot to over 100 infact iv only managed 93 briefly normally running at 88! Is it a stage to far! i don't think so! the chase and handling does not feel over stretched the power can be put down as they say, and at the moment im not knocking on johns door for traction control! it feels as if there is a little more to give! a wing may well be required though!!!!!! as far as i am concerned come winter iv already expressed my interest to do the internals and go further! this is not me being arrogant just stating the aforementioned! how much!!! well ask TMS and im sure john will tell you as he has pretty much got it down to a tee now on how long and how much, because the trial and error has been done upon myself and it should be a quick in fit and out job! put it this way i was happy with the cost performance ratio! in the mean time im going to enjoy summer with a smile and work and play hard, if anyone near cambridge and yes it is that elusive coral blue one that gets spotted near the A14 lol wants a ride to give comments then you are welcome! if any one else has questions about how it handles i can answer, but please no haters trying to read betwean the lines! I have got the car i wanted, and i think TMS should be proud of there achievement and to have come out the other side after a good kicking! with their finished stage 5. i think this sums it up "Stage 5 a race car for the road" iram

#2 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:07 PM

Glad you're happy, with what sounds like a mean machine chinky chinky Two questions: firstly, did you put it in for a stage 5 before/during/after Andrew's went in? Secondly, what do you mean by 'the internals' need doing - sorry if this is a stoopid question :unsure:

#3 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:10 PM

Lol, I thought this thread was by Imran for a minute :beat: Good effort John, glad you got it sorted!!! Iram, perhaps you might fancy bringing it along to the National in July...? 60 odd vx's showing up, should be a good day. Also there is the Chase a week before. Welcome to the forum chinky chinky

#4 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:15 PM

ambient temp should make fark all difference if the DYno is setup/used properly ;)

#5 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:15 PM

thumbsup

#6 iram

iram

• Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:24 PM

I shall be going to the chase so see you there JimmyJamJerusalem No such thing as a stupid question so they say! internals is reference forged pistons, rods cam and head, didn't feel the need for that hp also as i said took the baton where andrew left of ;) but have been veiwing the forum for 3 years so was aware of andrew !

#7 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• 12,905 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:29 PM

Thanks :) Yes read that, but wasn't sure whether you meant you picked up the baton in a time sense ie you took it in for the work to begin after Andrew's was 'finished'; or you picked up the baton in a technical sense ie you already had the stuff that Andrew had done, and took it in after his to get done what he hadn't.

Edited by Yellow_or_black?, 28 June 2008 - 09:29 PM.

#8 gazcaddy

gazcaddy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:35 PM

Can we see the graphs?

#9 iram

iram

• Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:04 PM

Thanks :) Yes read that, but wasn't sure whether you meant you picked up the baton in a time sense ie you took it in for the work to begin after Andrew's was 'finished'; or you picked up the baton in a technical sense ie you already had the stuff that Andrew had done, and took it in after his to get done what he hadn't.

I took my stage 4 in for the work to begin after Andrew's was 'finished'!!!

#10 Joe-Turbo

Joe-Turbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:15 PM

nice stats. quick question, if you dont have the "forged pistons, rods cam and head" what exactly does the stage 5 consist of?

#11 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• 12,905 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:18 PM

if you dont have the "forged pistons, rods cam and head" what exactly does the stage 5 consist of?

:yeahthat: That's why I was asking what 'innerds' meant ie what did you have done besides that?

#12 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:19 PM

what exactly does the stage 5 consist of?

According to YoB's signature:

Stuff 2, Extra stuff 4, Super extra stuff 5, Some random sh1t, A bit of umph, Some Whoa, Muffler bearings, Couple of four legged animals, Some dehydrated water, A Long Weight, Aluminium magnets, Flux capacitor, Exhaust Manifold Modulation Switch, Piston Return Spring, A.S.H. Receiver, Sail boat fuel additive, Metal shiny bits, Some rice, extra long grain, lots of 01010101110101101010101010010101......... for the ecu, and a load of bullsh1t'

:rolleyes:

#13 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• 12,905 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:20 PM

Can we see the graphs?

"i would show you the map but it was in the passenger foot well and shot under the seat when i hit the gas never to be seen again lol, forum search required on getting A4 sheets of paper from under the seat!"

:lol: :lol: Imnotworthy @ VIX!

Edited by Yellow_or_black?, 28 June 2008 - 10:21 PM.

#14 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:25 PM

;)

#15 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:48 AM

You're obviously a betting man.....I hope it holds together under normal use for you....and I do take my hat of to you for having the balls to go through with it...well done that man! MAXR

#16 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:29 AM

You're obviously a betting man.....I hope it holds together under normal use for you....and I do take my hat of to you for having the balls to go through with it...well done that man!

MAXR

:yeahthat:

#17 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:52 AM

the LET based engines frequently run 350-400bhp with largely std internals (bar modded cams and head work to make more power for less boost, or less boost for the same power.... ie run cooler) Its just the fact the engine is rammed in the back that causes heat issues lol Mind you a set of Steel rods can be had for £300ish from the bay..... ok they are Chineese copies but still better than std robs, and aslong as you aren revving it to 9K or something silly they will be fine. The Vauxsport forum covers some very comprehensive info for tuning the LET based engines

#18 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:25 AM

Its a lovely sunny day, get out there and enjoy it. Do you have a boost guage, how much psi does it overboost and hold at ?

#19 gazcaddy

gazcaddy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:13 AM

Can we see the graphs?

"i would show you the map but it was in the passenger foot well and shot under the seat when i hit the gas never to be seen again lol, forum search required on getting A4 sheets of paper from under the seat!"

:lol: :lol: Imnotworthy @ VIX!

Maybe I should read properly! anyway TMS could post them up if he cant get them out from under the seat

Edited by gazcaddy, 29 June 2008 - 11:13 AM.

#20 iram

iram

• Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:39 PM

Its a lovely sunny day, get out there and enjoy it.

Do you have a boost guage, how much psi does it overboost and hold at ?

no i don't have a gauge, i do know what it is set at and its lower than you think and you may not believe me!!!! you best ask TMS im sure they will tell you and also what it holds at ;)

it was and still is a lovely day used a tank of fuel and now going out to use another lol

been on the beds run today with 10 others and for the record for the guys who where there i got 28.7 mpg!

regards iram

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users