supercharger self fit kit sc conversion

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Mike-F

Mike-F

• PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:41 PM

Seem to remember someone on here importing a kit last year but despite a search cant find out if it was ever succesfully fitted. I have been looking at getting a supper charger and manifold and doing it myself. Mike

#2 Marco Polo

Marco Polo

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Cars and tracks :-)
    Roller skating in Paris
    Diving
    Wife and kids

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:34 AM

:blink: I don't think it is that just easy... In short: You additionally need to move the ECU, to relocate the Alternator, build a idle pulley (and its support) and find the proper belt (correct length), drill the slots for the 2 extras injectors and install additional ECU (or fit bigger injectors and change ECU ! :drink: )... Some electric wire rerouting must also be done (to clear the way and to connect additional ECU/Injectors), feed fuel line is modified to feed the 2 Injectors... (and I am not mentioning the charge cooler system) rallly

#3 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:40 AM

mmmm 50% extra injectors = bodgetastic lol

#4 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:07 AM

I have been looking at getting a supper charger

You take me to supper, and I'll charge you. How's that? ;)

Apologies :(

#5 rabidh

rabidh

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:50 AM

Courtenay's seem to have a new generation Supercharger install, where they reckon they don't need another ECU or extra injectors. If they've sorted that then you may be able to buy a supercharger kit, sort the alternator, and then get them to remap the ECU for you...

#6 Marco Polo

Marco Polo

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
    Roller skating in Paris
    Diving
    Wife and kids

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:40 AM

Courtenay's seem to have a new generation Supercharger install, where they reckon they don't need another ECU or extra injectors. If they've sorted that then you may be able to buy a supercharger kit, sort the alternator, and then get them to remap the ECU for you...

Oh ! Never heard of that version...

Anyway, I guess you still have to manage the Alternator/idle pulley... And all the other little things....

B)

#7 Mike-F

Mike-F

• PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:51 AM

Oh ! Never heard of that version...

Anyway, I guess you still have to manage the Alternator/idle pulley... And all the other little things....

B)

Yes heard of that version, I dont see the alternator or other bits as a problem as I have all the facilities to make what is needed. Looking at the GM kit you dont even need to fit a charge cooler unless you go for the higher boost presures. But could a charge cooler rad be fitted in the same place as the turbo intercooler is? This would make the plumbing easier?

Edited by Mike-F, 07 July 2008 - 11:51 AM.

#8 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:56 AM

But could a charge cooler rad be fitted in the same place as the turbo intercooler is? This would make the plumbing easier?

Is this behind one of the wheel arch air intakes? If so, and IIRC, this is where Courtenay first had their charge cooler rad but have relocated it to the front of the car where there is room for a bigger a rad. Worth a search. thumbsup

#9 Marco Polo

Marco Polo

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
    Roller skating in Paris
    Diving
    Wife and kids

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:40 PM

But could a charge cooler rad be fitted in the same place as the turbo intercooler is? This would make the plumbing easier?

This is my settings (no pic available though)... Done by Hitec in the first conversions... As VIX said, the rad is now in the front...

However I never had any temperature issue with the charge cooler in the right wheel arch (although I relocated it a little last year when I removed the rear clam).

B)

#10 Mike-F

Mike-F

• PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:45 PM

This is my settings (no pic available though)... Done by Hitec in the first conversions... As VIX said, the rad is now in the front...

However I never had any temperature issue with the charge cooler in the right wheel arch (although I relocated it a little last year when I removed the rear clam).

B)

Sounds like a plan then! I reckon I can get a supercharger and manifold for around £600 (secondhand) just got to hide the cost from the wife! It will be a nice job for the SORN period of winter.

#11 rabidh

rabidh

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:00 PM

Sounds like a plan then! I reckon I can get a supercharger and manifold for around £600 (secondhand) just got to hide the cost from the wife! It will be a nice job for the SORN period of winter.

Where do you reckon you'd be able to get them that cheap? For that price SC is a very attractive option - well worth fiddling with the alternator for :)

#12 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:57 PM

US ebay.... Just have to be a bit patient but they are ther... I'm also looking into this, as I have a complete 2.0 SC'ed LSJ engine standing in my garage. But this has a pulley set-up for an AC pump so will need to make something different. (I have some pics of the Hitec/Courtenay idler set-up, but also from the US Ariel Atom with the 2.0 SC engine which I like more.) But with the latest ECU cracking of Courtenay (reprogrammed ECU + standard compression) I will probably first equip my 2,2 with the SC to their current 250PS set-up... :closedeyes: (I know Hitec delivers kits fir DIY, so have to ask what the costs are for some seperate items + ECU reflash) Job list: - make idler pulley set-up - Install manifold + SC (+68mm TB ?) - rewire sensors (if needed?) - mount bigger injectors - route cooling hoses through side sills - install IC pump + IC radiator in front - extra wiring - reflash ECU by Courtenay/Hitec + Mount sport exhaust!!

#13 Marco Polo

Marco Polo

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
    Roller skating in Paris
    Diving
    Wife and kids

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:41 PM

This is my settings (no pic available though)...

Pic done... (with crappy mobile :blush: )

Attached File  Photo017.jpg   44.28KB   29 downloads

(see some other pics here http://www.vx220.org...mp;#entry752060 )

rallly

Edited by Marco Polo, 07 July 2008 - 06:45 PM.

#14 Mike-F

Mike-F

• PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:26 PM

US ebay.... Just have to be a bit patient but they are ther...

I'm also looking into this, as I have a complete 2.0 SC'ed LSJ engine standing in my garage. But this has a pulley set-up for an AC pump so will need to make something different. (I have some pics of the Hitec/Courtenay idler set-up, but also from the US Ariel Atom with the 2.0 SC engine which I like more.)
But with the latest ECU cracking of Courtenay (reprogrammed ECU + standard compression) I will probably first equip my 2,2 with the SC to their current 250PS set-up... :closedeyes:

(I know Hitec delivers kits fir DIY, so have to ask what the costs are for some seperate items + ECU reflash)

Job list:
- make idler pulley set-up
- Install manifold + SC (+68mm TB ?)
- rewire sensors (if needed?)
- mount bigger injectors
- route cooling hoses through side sills
- install IC pump + IC radiator in front
- extra wiring
- reflash ECU by Courtenay/Hitec

+ Mount sport exhaust!!

Sounds like what I have in mind! with the exception of the charge cooler mounted as per Marco Polo's, I dont see that a front charge charge cooler rad is needed in the current summer climate! I not certain but I dont think they fit charge coolers to some GM SC kits used at lower boost presures (<=10psi)

Thanks for the pictures Marco

#15 Mike-F

Mike-F

• PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:33 PM

US ebay.... Just have to be a bit patient but they are ther...

I'm also looking into this, as I have a complete 2.0 SC'ed LSJ engine standing in my garage. But this has a pulley set-up for an AC pump so will need to make something different. (I have some pics of the Hitec/Courtenay idler set-up, but also from the US Ariel Atom with the 2.0 SC engine which I like more.)
But with the latest ECU cracking of Courtenay (reprogrammed ECU + standard compression) I will probably first equip my 2,2 with the SC to their current 250PS set-up... :closedeyes:

(I know Hitec delivers kits fir DIY, so have to ask what the costs are for some seperate items + ECU reflash)

Job list:
- make idler pulley set-up
- Install manifold + SC (+68mm TB ?)
- rewire sensors (if needed?)
- mount bigger injectors
- route cooling hoses through side sills
- install IC pump + IC radiator in front
- extra wiring
- reflash ECU by Courtenay/Hitec

+ Mount sport exhaust!!

Forgot to ask, how much did it cost to get it shipped over?

thanks

Mike

#16 Marco Polo

Marco Polo

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
    Roller skating in Paris
    Diving
    Wife and kids

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:10 PM

Sounds like what I have in mind! with the exception of the charge cooler mounted as per Marco Polo's, I dont see that a front charge charge cooler rad is needed in the current summer climate! I not certain but I dont think they fit charge coolers to some GM SC kits used at lower boost presures (<=10psi)

Some more info : I have Turbo Air-intakes (copies) and the current positionning/fixing of the radiator has been redone by myself last year with the clam off. The original positionning/fixing done by Hitec was not so good (because done with the clam on ! :sleep: )

I think some more cooling could be achieved by joining the rad to the air-intake with plastic/alu sheets (driving all the air flow to the rad)

B)

#17 Mike-F

Mike-F

• PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:19 PM

Some more info : I have Turbo Air-intakes (copies) and the current positionning/fixing of the radiator has been redone by myself last year with the clam off. The original positionning/fixing done by Hitec was not so good (because done with the clam on ! :sleep: )

I think some more cooling could be achieved by joining the rad to the air-intake with plastic/alu sheets (driving all the air flow to the rad)

B)

I was hoping to keep the intakes as they are, but cowling in the rad would possibly counter the loss. do you have a temperature gauge on you charge cooler system? if you do does the temperature rise much ?

#18 Marco Polo

Marco Polo

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
    Roller skating in Paris
    Diving
    Wife and kids

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:52 PM

I was hoping to keep the intakes as they are, but cowling in the rad would possibly counter the loss. do you have a temperature gauge on you charge cooler system? if you do does the temperature rise much ?

Yes, I have installed a water temp sensor/gauge (VDO)... But it is a 40-120° system... The needle hardly move in normal use, raise a little in traffic jam/track day... I have checked the reading with an infrared temperature gun...

:wacko:

#19 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:01 PM

thanks

Mike

Complete engine only freight shipment by boat was about $300,- to Rotterdam port. (Had the engine dropped off at freight terminal by seller for a little extra. ;) )
I used these guys, perfect! https://iqglobal.com...from_main=1#top

#20 Mike-F

Mike-F

• PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:16 PM

thanks

Mike

Complete engine only freight shipment by boat was about $300,- to Rotterdam port. (Had the engine dropped off at freight terminal by seller for a little extra. ;) )
I used these guys, perfect! https://iqglobal.com...from_main=1#top

Thanks I will take look

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supercharger, self fit kit, sc conversion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users