Photo

Tms Throttle Bodies - Diy Install

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:05 PM

As usual I wasn't really happy with my 2.2's engine power, it just lacked that little bit of finesse :rolleyes:

I knew whatever route I took a standalone ecu would be required and a good one at that.

So after many, many months of working out what would be best I took the plunge and purchased a TMS / webcon throttle bodies kit B)

Fitting was quite easy, swapping the electronic throttle pedal to a cable operated throttle pedal being the major pita :glare:

I had removed the clam to install a Helix hybrid M32 clutch so this made the fitting much easier, but it can be done with the clam in place thumbsup

I decided to completely remove the old ecu and associated wiring, this made some additional work but was worth the end result. This entailed reconnecting the oil pressure light switch, adding a seperate coolant temperature gauge, connecting the rev counter to the new ecu, connecting the dash eml light to the new ecu.

I decided to have the Alpha ecu mapped for my particular engine, this would not normally be necessary as the TMS kit comes already mapped to either a Stage 1 or Stage 3, but is a good idea if your engine spec doesn't fall into either of those groups :rolleyes:

Well what can I say, the TMS throttle bodies have transformed the engines behaviour, it is now smooth and progressive, it behaves like a factory fresh car, it's such a joy to drive I've used two tanks of fuel over the weekend :groupjump:

Throttle bodies have to be the best mod I have fitted to the z22se engine, it sounds and goes like a sports car should :wub:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by vocky, 07 July 2008 - 05:10 PM.

#2 VXJON

VXJON

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:09 PM

Im sure its been said before, but you are a legend Imnotworthy ( or a lunatic ) thumbsup

#3 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:13 PM

very nice and one day i will get around to doing this!!

#4 RobNA

RobNA

RobSC :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:15 PM

Im sure its been said before, but you are a legend Imnotworthy ( or a lunatic ) thumbsup

:yeahthat: Congrats :)

#5 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

you are a lunatic thumbsup

probably :lol:

#6 drpau

drpau

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Looks good mate, Ss has it upped your power then vocky or just altered the driveablilty?

#7 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:19 PM

has it upped your power then vocky or just altered the driveablilty?

it's transformed the driveability and power seems better too, but until it's been back on the TMS rollers (to compare the figures) I won't be posting any info :P

#8 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:35 PM

Will it ever stop ????? Vocky you the man Imnotworthy

#9 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:43 PM

vocky just wondered where your rocker breather pipe is going mine goes into throttle body air filter all looks good. i just need to get my arse into gear and sort the head and cams out on mine . you havnt got a spair head nocking around have you? .car looks mint in total vauxhall by the way

#10 cthomas443

cthomas443

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:48 PM

I think i remember seeing on z22se that its £1850. for the diy kit, is this the no hidden cost price for every one or was it a one off for you? There very tempting.

#11 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

The man... The Myth... The Vockster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice one mate!!!!! Please come to the National, and take me for a spin in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:02 PM

vocky just wondered where your rocker breather pipe is going mine goes into throttle body air filter all looks good. i just need to get my arse into gear and sort the head and cams out on mine . you havnt got a spair head nocking around have you? .car looks mint in total vauxhall by the way

the cam cover breather pipe goes to an oil catch tank, I simply fitted a grommet into the air filter backing plate.

sorry I don't have any spare engine parts, but they do turn up on ebay.

And thank you for your help with the temp gauge stuff Lee :)

I think i remember seeing on z22se that its £1850. for the diy kit, is this the no hidden cost
price for every one or was it a one off for you?

There very tempting.

TMS have a special offer on at the moment, so £1850 is the price you pay, bloody bargain :D

It's very difficult to describe the difference with the tms throttle bodies fitted, when you press the throttle pedal the car responds, no delay just power, the sound is amazing. They are so much better than the 2.4 inlet manifold set up I had, no flat spots so no jerks of power, just a smooth power delivery.

I had the rev limit altered to a 7000 rpm gear change light and a 7200 rpm limiter, it pulls strongly all the way to the limiter Imnotworthy

I can say it's as quick as a bmw 645 ci, who's owner didn't seem too amused :gayfight:

Edited by vocky, 07 July 2008 - 07:05 PM.

#13 meo

meo

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Interests:cars bikes going out drinking

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:41 PM

Will it be as fast as a S/C N/A?

#14 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:09 PM

I really don't know, but it does sound better :lol:

#15 cthomas443

cthomas443

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:26 PM

Lighter equals faster doesnt it? :lol:

#16 Sticky

iTB lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:58 PM

:yeahthat:

How many are there of us Webcon/TMS TB types now?

Def 3 but then I'm a bit behind the times I think

#17 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:58 AM

How many are there of us Webcon/TMS TB types now?

Def 3 but then I'm a bit behind the times I think

I'm set 4 :D

Edited by vocky, 08 July 2008 - 07:00 AM.

#18 timmyp

timmyp

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, Golf, Anything with an engine.

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:10 AM

I don't know what set I am. My car used to be Chris Priests - he paid for the work. Love it though. :wub: Not as quick as a supercharger but that noissssseeee....... Notice you have a big air-filter over your inlets, I have an airbox over the inlets going down to a filter, which I'm thinking of changing. Thorney said that the big filter gives better top end, the box filter more low down (I think...might be getting confused), but I'm doing mostly track and fun driving, so I just want the top end. What do the other 3 guys think? Also, any idea how much a re-map would be for my specific car, I'm sure it was done at installation but would just like to make sure it's all tip-top condition.

#19 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:30 AM

remap is £75 + vat per hour at Northampton Motorsport (3-4 hours work), the guy Troy is a perfectionist thumbsup but it's only worth doing if you have finished modding your engine and the current mapping isn't quite perfect. mine will pull smoothly from whatever revs in whatever gear, so the map is pretty damn good B) I have fitted a cold air feed from each of the side grilles to the foam filter, I was considering fitting an air filter box at some point, but not sure if I will :unsure:

Edited by vocky, 08 July 2008 - 07:30 AM.

#20 Stefan_A

Stefan_A

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Interests:Photography, british sports cars, diecast models, GT racing, whiskey, project management

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:33 AM

Stunning as always Vocky Imnotworthy Who did the mapping of the Alpha ECU for you? On a slightly different topic, you don't happen to have a drawing on the bracket (for the cables) you did to install the M32 gear box? Just making plans for the winter now... :drink: Edit: You answered my first question while I was writing it - spooky!

Edited by Stefan_A, 08 July 2008 - 07:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users