Engine Mount Bolts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SimonM

SimonM

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:52 AM

Planning on doing the engine mounts this weekend. It looks like one of the offside bracket bolts can only be removed using a spanner. So, presumably I can't use a torque wrench when putting it back (to 85Nm) - just same spanner. Any advice on how I know when it's tight enough? Cheers

#2 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:07 AM

3/8" drive ratchet +15mm socket and slip a tube over the end of the ratchet handle to get the leverage... I NEVER bother with a torque wrench for stuff like that as you can do it all by feel (couple that in with most torque wrenches for sub £50 tend to be very inaccurate anyway, and if youve ever left it wound up high or undone something with it the calibration will be fcuked too)

#3 SimonM

SimonM

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:49 AM

Ah..are you saying that all the bolts will come off with socket? I thought that one could only be removed with a spanner on the driver's side...

#4 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:18 AM

3/8" drive ratchet +15mm socket and slip a tube over the end of the ratchet handle to get the leverage...

I NEVER bother with a torque wrench for stuff like that as you can do it all by feel (couple that in with most torque wrenches for sub £50 tend to be very inaccurate anyway, and if youve ever left it wound up high or undone something with it the calibration will be fcuked too)

My sockets won't go over the one at the back so I use a ring spanner and put a crow bar under the cam chain tensioner bolt and over the spanner then use it as a lever to crack the bolt off.

#5 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:21 AM

halfords pro 3/8" drive ratchet and std 15mm socket fit a treat for getting the first tightness off then 15mm ratchet spanner for the rest. refit is reverse of removal :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users