41 replies to this topic

#21 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 02 April 2003 - 11:20 PM

I have to keep the stock belts anyway, and the 4-points ones are just an extra (still FIA/ECE approved) that I choose to add and use on private tracks or in addition to the std. ones on public roads.
the bar will be just a bar, black and unmarked.

I think it's the same here, but how will you get FIA approval for the bar itself?

#22 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 02 April 2003 - 11:22 PM

...except instead of wrap-around the bar was tapped for bolts to mount belt brackets, thus positioning them even lower. :)

I understand, good idea but more complicated (at least here!), since I can get any reg. harnesses (like the pic ones) w/in 2 days, at any shop, while can't seem to find the more specific ones you talk about.... Imnotworthy

#23 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 11:24 PM

I'll try and sort out the details from this Lotus dealer and let you know when I can tell you more. Bedtime! ;)

#24 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 02 April 2003 - 11:29 PM

I think it's the same here, but how will you get FIA approval for the bar itself?

I won't get it, no need for me, no pro-racing, no competition involved...... :D
... just an extra bit I add for my own extra comfort and safety...as long as the reg. ones are there.....I have no kat, modded exhaust loud as hell, modded rims AND tires.....I guess I will get in truble for all those reason even before they notice my approved belts with...UN-APPROVED bar! Imnotworthy :lol:
(and Carabinieri/polizia are just too dumb anyway...the few that stopped me so far were just to ask me about the "amazing" car... :lol: :lol: )

eeeek! so late!! :o :sleepy:

Edited by Ricky2772, 02 April 2003 - 11:32 PM.

#25 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  • Interests:Driving, wildlife photography, travel

Posted 03 April 2003 - 06:17 AM

Ricky That bar still looks a bit high to me. Each to their own. I will have pictures of my bar within 2 days (my car goes in this morning). I will mention the higher mounts to them to see what they think. I'll keep you all posted! Paul

#26 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 06:56 AM

here's the funny guy testing its new purchase! :lol: :lol:
(this kid drives at warp-speed on track... :o Imnotworthy )

http://www.cinghialo...se/IMG_5206.JPG

#27 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 03 April 2003 - 07:18 AM

I have to agree with Ricky to some extent, the bar we're sorting IS expensive, however I'm very keen to make sure whatever mods I do are as professional as possible so using Safety Devices I reckon the cost is worth it. If nothing else Ricky, at least we've pursuaded you not to use the headrests :D. :beat: Where are the piccies of the wheels?????? :poke: :)

#28 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 07:34 AM

If nothing else Ricky, at least we've pursuaded you not to use the headrests :D. :beat:

Where are the piccies of the wheels?????? :poke: :)

true! :lol: :lol:
that was in a moment of excessive budget-despair! :groupjump:

hang in there for the rims.....paintjob on its way... :P

#29 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 01:58 PM

I also agree that the bar is expensive. But, I'm happy to get a proper job done. If others want to try other solutions I have no issue with that, but expect others to accept the solution I have chosen.

I know a couple of you think this is too expensive but again, that is down to personal opinion.

Paul

#30 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 04:34 PM

Well I have just had a call from the workshop manager at Safety Devices. They alledge that my vx220 is different from the last one they have seen and is a facelift model (!!!). They claim the mountings have changed and the only way they can fit a bar is to weld mountings onto the roll bar and then slide the bar in when required. This would be a very neat job but each car would need to visit their workshop and the cost would be £700 each.

I have (reasonably politely) told them to stuff it up their ar$e. Gary, I will get you a cheque in the post at the weekend with a refund. Minime, I will tear your cheque up or return it to you.

I have not finished trying to find a solution and will keep people informed of my progress. Apologies for the problems,

Paul

#31 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 03 April 2003 - 05:03 PM

I've thrown this at Vauxhall, I reckon they can help with a few ideas, and they're keen to help us out. Watch this space.

#32 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 06:10 PM

Now we're getting somewhere! Good man that Thorney! :)

#33 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 09:12 PM

The Lotus Performance Centre might have a solution. The picture below shows the harness and bar fitted on a S2 190. The bar shown is unlikely to clear the speaker pods, but it might be possible to use the same roll bar mountings with a different bar shape?

Attached Files

#34 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 10:26 PM

that's Tim's 190, (already written off if I got it right... :( ) it's bar is clearly hooked to the std harness bolts. me thinks the s2 roll bar is close-to-identical as the VX's....

Edited by Ricky2772, 03 April 2003 - 10:26 PM.

#35 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 05:56 AM

An S2 bar is where I started my quest. I don't think they will clear the speakers. This is beginning to look like a real pain to sort out. The Eliseparts bar appears to mount below the seatbelt mounts (as does this one to me) but Geary is convinced it won't fit a vx220... Anyway, this has consumed a lot of time over the last few weeks and if Thorney is following up with Vauxhall, there is no point me doing anything else in parallel. If nothing comes through from them in a couple of weeks, I will start looking again. Paul

#36 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 05 April 2003 - 05:45 AM

Well done to PaulB for all the hard work, a shame he gets let down by suppliers :beat: I've passed this back to Vauxhall as they will be looking to source a roll bar for the Sprint so we should be able to tag onto the back of that deal I hope.

#37 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 04:37 PM

Thorney, If the Sprint is only due sometime in 2004, do you reckon Vauxhall will have something sorted in the near future for this harness bar? Reason I'm asking is that harness bar is ideal to mount cameras to of course.At present I've got a forward-facing DVcam that I mount on a self-constructed aluminium profile arrangement that locates via the standard rear trim panel screws. Problem is, I'd like a rear-facing one too and the combined weight of 2 cams would be too much for my construction. A Vauxhall-approved bar would be ideal.... soon! Can you encourage them to get a move on with the argument that you can be fairly sure that numerous forum members would like one? :)

#38 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 04:47 PM

Speedy, not so sure about the harness bar being a good place to mount a camera. The first time Tim used one in his S2 190 (piccied above), I think he attached it there, and while the picture was good, all you got sound-wise was wind noise. Suction-mounting it to the windscreen seemed to be the better option.
See the videos on Sport 190.com to see what I mean

#39 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 26 April 2003 - 04:54 PM

Vauxhall know its an issue and think its an easy fix too. Once I get my car I'll be all over it to get it sorted.

#40 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 05:07 PM

all you got sound-wise was wind noise. Suction-mounting it to the windscreen seemed to be the better option.

Thanks for the tip, Jim

The video on my gallery was taking with the camera mounted between the seats. To view it, you'll need QuickTime

IMO, advantage of a behind/next to the driver camera position is you can analyse your wheel-craft (or lack of it :rolleyes: ) from here and even see your expression in the mirror. :unsure:

As I track with a hardtop, wind noise is not such a problem, so I still reckon harness bar mounting is the way to go in my case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users