• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:59 AM

Has anyone ever had their standard steering wheel recovered in suede. Done a search on here and cant find anything and enquired with a couple of local trimmers but no luck.

#2 snoopstah

snoopstah

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:27 AM

I've quite fancied getting my covered in some nice soft leather too. No help to you but would be interested if you find someone who can do it.

#3 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:20 AM

i wanted mine recovered to include a red / yellow stripe at the top of the wheel.

#4 Retset

Retset

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:56 AM

I'm bumping this as I would really like a suede wheel with yellow stripe. The duct tape silver stripe works well on my current wheel BTW. I could buy a Momo but I would also need the Boss and Horn kits. Then I would have no airbag so have to use my harness all the time and remove my seatbelts. Well, then I might as well add a Mog Evo seat ... Actually, all the above sounds rather sweet but it would be great just to have the wheel recovered ;)

#5 Retset

Retset

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:34 AM

I have just seen that www.ms-edel-car-parts.de can do it for €239. This will be plus European shipping both ways of course!

I cannot link directly to the article but easy to find. The Google Translation is:

The original steering wheel has a nice appearance, it will be perfect with a suede or Alcantarabezug. Alcantara suede and gives a unique feel, also provides the original steering wheel, the safety of airbags.
Send us your original steering wheel and we relate it to you in black suede, alcantara or red leather with or without 12-clock marker.

For the equipment in leather, we need your original parts.
We need about 14 days after the arrival of your parts from us for the execution of the work.

* Processing, using the original component
* High-quality leather
* 1a processing
* Color black, or red

This is the picture of the finished article. I cannot help but think it looks a bit chunky! I wouldn't turn it down outright but a nice new suede Momo would look better IMHO, given the cost. If I could get the same job done conveniently in the UK I would be more tempted.

Posted Image

#6 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:43 AM

that looks spot on that, buy i might just make a silver stripe from duct tape and do what you did.

#7 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

I wonder if our style of steering wheel would look better staying with leather for the 3 spoke sections (hand / horn either side and the bottom centre bit? Does look a little chunky, could be pic? Sure any decent trimmers could do this and certainly about the same price, find the leather does not give the best grip on track.

#8 Retset

Retset

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:29 AM

Leather gives great grip with leather gloves (I use some basic black gloves). Suede grips great with suede and I am after some proper driving gloves which nearly all have suede grips. I imagine a suede wheel might be better with bare hands than leather?

#9 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

Having had two alcantara steering wheels in my A4 (one replaced under warranty after only 6,000 miles), I wouldn't bother with it. It seems to wear and get very dirty quickly due to the oils and sweat transferring from your hands. It's lovely to grip (especially in the winter) but IMHO doesn't stand the test of time very well.

#10 Retset

Retset

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:16 AM

Fair point but 6000 miles means about 2 year's use for me :blush:

#11 Lps

Lps

Team 600+

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:53 AM

A very decent trimmer (does lots of Porsche work) did my mates Scooby STi wheel in Suede for £80 i certainly wouldnt pay more than a ton tbh

Edited by Lps, 17 April 2009 - 11:53 AM.

#12 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:27 PM

I have just seen that www.ms-edel-car-parts.de can do it for €239. This will be plus European shipping both ways of course!

I cannot link directly to the article but easy to find. The Google Translation is:

The original steering wheel has a nice appearance, it will be perfect with a suede or Alcantarabezug. Alcantara suede and gives a unique feel, also provides the original steering wheel, the safety of airbags.
Send us your original steering wheel and we relate it to you in black suede, alcantara or red leather with or without 12-clock marker.

For the equipment in leather, we need your original parts.
We need about 14 days after the arrival of your parts from us for the execution of the work.

* Processing, using the original component
* High-quality leather
* 1a processing
* Color black, or red

This is the picture of the finished article. I cannot help but think it looks a bit chunky! I wouldn't turn it down outright but a nice new suede Momo would look better IMHO, given the cost. If I could get the same job done conveniently in the UK I would be more tempted.

Posted Image

I must say that doesnt look good, it looks a bit amateurish, perhaps it would look better/less plump in black but the stitching looks awful

#13 collin

collin

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

I must say that doesnt look good, it looks a bit amateurish, perhaps it would look better/less plump in black but the stitching looks awful

This are better pictures from the same steering wheel - what´s wrong with the stitching. Colour is black...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

This are better pictures from the same steering wheel - what´s wrong with the stitching. Colour is black...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks much better in these photos, in the other photo the stitching looked uneven but in these you can see its not. Have you had this done?

#15 Lps

Lps

Team 600+

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:45 PM

not too sure about the "check" style stiching tbh

#16 snowwhite

snowwhite

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

Someone has gone to town on that interior though :o the red stitching isn't to my taste, but the extra details such as the heater control knobs, the light switch replacement, and the whole lot including the stack have new graphics on the backboard bits thumbsup Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the VXR come with VXR bucket seats and they look like standard black leather items. And at the end of the sills the pocket looks the same as mine, so it could even be an N/A.. :unsure:

#17 Retset

Retset

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

I like it more in those second lot of pics. I like the whole interior in fact thumbsup. It's not a VXR so mats a bit cheeky but all looks good. I guess one must accept a slight extra chunkiness to the wheel as the suede goes over the leather I imagine. If it can be done for a ton or less then it's much better value than buying a new wheel and boss kit. I hope I can find somewhere to do it.

#18 boghouse

boghouse

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • Interests:Anything fast or dangerous, motorsport, seeing the world....

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:21 PM

Not keen on the interior trim stitch detailing....But I love the dash.

#19 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:22 AM

I like things to match, but that's a step too far; looks like Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen got his hands on it for an episode of '60 Minute Makeover'! The quilting isn't doing it for me either...

Edited by Yellow_or_black?, 18 April 2009 - 12:23 AM.

#20 collin

collin

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:33 AM

I like things to match, but that's a step too far; looks like Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen got his hands on it for an episode of '60 Minute Makeover'! The quilting isn't doing it for me either...

And this is only the beginning - I will make the whole interior in this look... :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users