Clichés - Some Are Bugging Me...

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:30 PM

who's ever actually been stuck between a rock and a hard place? was this cliché invented by a pot-holer? can't think of anybody else who might come up with it? the devil and the deep blue sea? how often has that happened? oh you'll never guess, we bumped into satan whilst out pleasue boating of wales - what? pot calling the kettle - you're tripping. and my personal favourite from when we were little, my dear old mum was forever using this one - get out of the house the lot of you i've just cleaned up. go on, fcuk-off! bless her. i miss those salad days of youth.

Edited by skiddo, 17 March 2004 - 09:32 PM.

#2 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:40 PM

who's ever actually been stuck between a rock and a hard place?

was this cliché invented by a pot-holer? can't think of anybody else who might come up with it?

HERE

#3 k3vin

k3vin

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Growing up<br>Gaining responsibility<br>Keeping the gf happy

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:53 PM

what about "not touching something with a barge pole"? Chance would be a fine thing. Have you seen the size of the modern barge pole? Evenly with my manly physique, I doubt I could perform a smooth lift 'n' touch manoeuvre.

#4 Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:54 PM

lol keith... i wasn't looking for answers - i was looking for others to gimme a take on the silly things we say and add their own. you and your logical mind :P :lol: :P thanks though - not that i'm being ungrateful or anything. :)

#5 wickywire

wickywire

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • Interests:Cars, computers, Rugby, the usual

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:56 PM

have you been watching "whats in a word" skiddo? This program is full of them but it gives you the meaning of them. Thinks like ship shape and bristol fashion.

#6 Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:58 PM

lol kev - that's more like it.

#7 Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:00 PM

have you been watching "whats in a word" skiddo? This program is full of them but it gives you the meaning of them. Thinks like

ship shape and bristol fashion.

i haven't wicky - don't watch much telly (er, shameless is about the lot really). i was just thinking about silly stuff we say earier today.

#8 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:02 PM

ship shape and bristol fashion.

Sounds very evocative, doesn't it? Or is it just me?

OK, how about "Lickety split" –

my mind is not being "logical" when I try to envisage a meaning there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

#9 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:03 PM

** Poncy w4nk warning ! !- FOOK , what kind of radio4 listener wrote THIs shite ? ** Wordy wankers like me would be fooked RIGHT off if all cliches were banned. Besides, I used to have a badge on my punk blazer as a nipper that read " I am a cliche". Never a truer word, etc etc. :D

Edited by Purebob, 17 March 2004 - 10:56 PM.

#10 Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:12 PM

pb i wasn't slagging clichés off. i love them. i was just trying to have a laugh with some alternative angles on them.

my own personal side glances are... i'll jump off that bridge when i come to it. and it's all gone pears up and tit-shaped.

i Posted Image words.

#11 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:18 PM

I love mixed metaphor cliches ! I'm sure Prescott's speechwriter adds them deliberately !!

#12 Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:30 PM

serve us some up them you fcukin tease. it would seem my comic last line on my opening post has bypassed all of you. comedy pearls before swine, i swear. there's another one. did some farmer come back from his seaside diving holiday on the barrier reef and show his pigs the fruits of his snorkel dives - only to be disappointed by their lack of interest? i think fcuking not.

Edited by skiddo, 17 March 2004 - 10:31 PM.

#13 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:37 PM

"pearls before swine" could've been the tag line of a movie I watched in Holland last year....I've never been the same since. I've always hated " have your cake and eat it". Just what the FOOK does THAT mean? If you have a cake but don't eat it, whats the fookin use of a cake ? And speaking of cakes, when was the last time you bought a " hot cake" ? So how can "selling like hot cakes" mean successful ? :blink:

#14 Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:50 PM

now you're with me. i like to say to people who use the the cake cliche - no, now you're being silly. we all eat the cake. to go back to my earlier opening post. how many youngsters really enjoy a good salad, ffs.

#15 jneill

jneill

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts
  • Interests:QI

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:54 PM

Since when were parrots renowned for getting ill? Newts? Newts!? Do they really get drunk? And no, I'm damn sure it's going to hurt ME a lot more than you - you cane wielding psychopath dressed up as a teacher you b*stard. Oh, and TADTS - oh hold on - that one's quite sensible really.

#16 jneill

jneill

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts
  • Interests:QI

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:57 PM

And why the f*ck would I want to hold a candle to anything. If I wanted to see how good something was, a candle is the last thing I'd use - I'd prolly set the bloody thing on fire.

#17 Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Posted 17 March 2004 - 11:01 PM

lmao james. good work. now you'll have to excuse me, because this morning i made my bed and now i'm going to lie in it. and no, it's no bed of roses. that would be too gay. even for me.

#18 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 11:01 PM

When did you last see it raining cats and dogs?

#19 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 11:03 PM

this morning i made my bed and now i'm going to lie in it. and no, it's no bed of roses. that would be too gay. even for me.

Just make sure you don't gert out of bed on the wrong foot –

or you may become a "left-footer" :blink:

#20 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 11:04 PM

I actually read a GREAT cliche/analogy about rain in the Aerosmith biography " Walk This Way " Steve Tyler talked about cowering in a forest cabin during a devasting storm : he says " It was raining harder'n a cow pissing on a flat rock ". That KILLED me. ! :lol: :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users