9 replies to this topic

#1 Roberty

Roberty

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Interests:GONE

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:11 PM

Hi My speedo is currently under reading by around 6-7mph across the entire range, well up to 80mph anyway as obviously I've not gone any faster than that! I know cars often over read there speed for reasons of calibration but under reading is a little worrying as until I pulled up the speed indicator on the sat nav whilst out for a long run yesterday I had assumed that my speedo was about as acurate as any other. I've been tripping those safety signs that display your speed back to you at speeds way below the maximum for the road ever since I got the car but assumed they were just being overly cautious! I guess I've just been lucky with the speed camera's and the Fuzz so far! Anyway I've read you can do a dash reset and have searched on here with no luck on how to do it. I did find a procedure on SELOC's Technical Wiki on how to do it for the Elise but it did nothing so I can only assume it's either wrong or the VX version is somehow different? Does anyone know the procedure or is there another solution to my problem?

#2 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:28 PM

Sorry, no idea, but you might want to state if you have an NA or a tubby. Only the NA has a genuine Stack unit. chinky chinky

#3 Roberty

Roberty

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:55 PM

Sorry, no idea, but you might want to state if you have an NA or a tubby. Only the NA has a genuine Stack unit.
chinky chinky

Ah didn't realise that but according to the reset procedure I used that shouldn't matter as it works for both Stack and Shurlok instruments but maybe only on the Elise!

I have a NA and the procedure I've tried which is straight off the SELOC tech Wiki is:

Turn off the ignition
- Open the driver's door (yes, really!)
- Press and hold the trip-meter reset button
- Whilst still holding the reset button turn the key in the ignition to the second position (just before the engine turns)
- The Stack will then wind both needles back to below the zero position, and the LCD will show the software revision number.
- Once it's gone through the motions your speedo should then read true!
- From my research, this seems to work on all versions of the Elise, including those with Stack and Shurlok instruments.

I've tried this several times and there's no sign of the Software revision number or any improvement!

Is there a step missing or does it just not work on an NA VX220?

#4 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:18 PM

Any good? Or, possibly this one

Edited by techieboy, 21 July 2009 - 04:21 PM.

#5 Roberty

Roberty

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for that I'll give it a go.

And if not then Battery out may be the answer!

I've not jump started but who knows what the previous owner may have done, god I hope not. :unsure:

#6 Roberty

Roberty

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:49 PM

I've not jump started but who knows what the previous owner may have done, god I hope not. :unsure:

OK that procedure didn'twork either, no software revision number no movement of the needle.

Do any of these dash reset procedures work for anyone?

Looking like pulling the battery out for half an hour is going to be my best option.

#7 Roberty

Roberty

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:02 PM

OK that procedure didn'twork either, no software revision number no movement of the needle.

Do any of these dash reset procedures work for anyone?

Looking like pulling the battery out for half an hour is going to be my best option.

No neither work!

Pulling the battery for what was in the end a couple of hours did F-all!

Any other suggestions???

PLEASE! :(

#8 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:20 PM

Have you got a scangauge or similar OBD based contraption or can borrow one from a local to test if the speed and revs signals are good or the dash is really not configured correctly :unsure:

#9 Roberty

Roberty

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:34 PM

Have you got a scangauge or similar OBD based contraption or can borrow one from a local to test if the speed and revs signals are good or the dash is really not configured correctly :unsure:

Ah, that'll be a no.

#10 speedster2008

speedster2008

• 3 posts
  • Interests:Car Freak, specially Ferrari's! And afcourse my Speed ;) !

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:18 PM

I've got about the same problem with my Speedster and it's driving me crazy !!! Nobody seems to have a real solution to this problem. When I bought the car I had been driving for a while and than all the control lights went on and the needles went about 40 km/h faster than I was going, but were still working from there. Stopped and called the dealer they said turn off the ignition, needles will drop (they did a little bit), repeat this until they're on zero again and it should be normal again. It worked, for some time now it's getting worse and worse and every time I drive the car all the lights come on and you know the needles wil go mad ... never the same speed ... just random. Today the dash was telling me I was going about 200 km/h when judging by the cars passing me I was not even doing 60 km/h. You get stuff like this (was doing about 100 km/h there), see pic. Tryed everything suggested on the dutch speedsterclub and the more detailed things here but nothing works.

Attached Files

Edited by speedster2008, 29 July 2009 - 09:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users