Heated Windscreen Fitted

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 182ian

182ian

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:18 PM

Well after approximately three weeks i have finally had my cracked windscreen replaced, i must admit it has been a bit of a long drawn out process but we are there. It all started with my windscreen being chipped and cracking on the edge while being serviced at PSR automotive (a complete accident while trying to open my very, very stiff front bonnet0, i decided before i jumped in head first and organise getting it changed i would look into other options than just a standard screen and Paul suggested we enquired into a heated screen from sinclaires motorsport.

I then went ahead and found out that sinclaires charge £120 plus VAT extra for a heated screen which includes them wiring it up. I got onto my insurance company about getting sinclaires to change the screen but they said they would only pay the first £50 if i where not to use autoglass. Obviously this would not work. Both myself and paul knew that bolts for the front clam where spinning so we thought autoglass would struggle anyway. As there seemed to be no other option i booked it in with autoglass for a standard screen, surpise surprise they could not move the clam so i had to have the car back.

Finally in discussion with my insurance company saying i needed to get someone to remove the clam for autoglass and had to make sure their labour costs where covered they finally agreed to allow sinclaires to send a quote to them for doing the whole job, which i was slightly surpised they agreed to. So this week the car went to sinclaires and had a heated screen with a top tint and black surround fitted and i must say i am quite impressed. Just need some cold weather :rolleyes: .

I must make the point that it was an accident on pauls behalf and he was most apologetic, he obviously covered my excess but also he was the one the one that made most of the enquiries and delivered it to both autoglass and siclaires for me so thumbsup , it may be a blessing in disguise!

Here is a pic of the screen
Posted Image

and the switch location
Posted Image

#2 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  • Interests:F1, track days, cars ,cars and cars.

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

Looks like a great job. Imnotworthy Can you see the heater bars like on a focus / mondeo or are they thinner?

#3 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:33 PM

I would love one of those, I have a few chips in mine just waiting for it to go

#4 182ian

182ian

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

Looks like a great job. Imnotworthy Can you see the heater bars like on a focus / mondeo or are they thinner?

I would say they must be a very close comparison to the ford quickclear screen wires, i think you would struggle to get much thinner. They certainly do not bother me :rolleyes:

#5 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:51 PM

Good work, I've got one as well :)

#6 TIP

TIP

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:cars. sci-fi, rum, bass, sheds, making stuff, fixing other stuff (mainly plastic vauxhalls) and other geeky bloke stuff

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:55 PM

I have several chips to my windscreen so need either a repair or new screen, I did not realise that the clam had to come off/forward to replace so this seems like a great option.. just to confirm £120???? from Sinclairs (seems like a mighty good deal) is that retail or the extra on top of what the insurance originally agreed to pay?

#7 182ian

182ian

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:01 PM

I have several chips to my windscreen so need either a repair or new screen,

I did not realise that the clam had to come off/forward to replace so this seems like a great option..

just to confirm £120???? from Sinclairs (seems like a mighty good deal) is that retail or the extra on top of what the insurance originally agreed to pay?

£120 plus vat is what i paid sinclaires on top of the excess and obviously what the insurance paid. Yes the clam should come off but i think most loosen the back end and lift it away. But on my car it was the the 2 fixings going into the sill in the door shut that where spinning so autoglass where stuck! haha

#8 robin

robin

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:12 PM

great idear is this a option that if fitted within the glass when made?

#9 182ian

182ian

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:08 PM

great idear is this a option that if fitted within the glass when made?

Yes its the same as most heated rear windows but with very fine wire so is only just visible.

#10 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

you only notice if you focus on them... which lets face it, when driving you really really really wont be doing anyway Shame I cant get my insurer to play ball and let me get a heated screen for sensible money :(

#11 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

Are these available with the OEM rubberised surrounds now, or do you still have to cut the one off the damaged screen :unsure:

#12 182ian

182ian

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

Are these available with the OEM rubberised surrounds now, or do you still have to cut the one off the damaged screen :unsure:

I am prety sure sinclaires bond tere own surround on, not 100% sure. Mine was a standard silver surround before.

Edited by 182ian, 01 August 2009 - 09:08 PM.

#13 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:03 PM

As long as they have a solution - I never fancied the idea of cutting the old one off then re-sticking it to the new screen!

#14 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:19 AM

Do you know what the full quote was? I have been quoted £300 for a regular screen locally. That probably doesn't include removing the clam, which is a moot point in my case, but I would definitely be interested in a heated screen if only £400ish. Is Sinclaires down by you? Cheers.

#15 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:30 AM

That's a top job! A must for every vx driver in winter. Really good value too thumbsup

#16 Decky

Decky

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:38 AM

I just had mine done last week and didnt even think of going for the heated screen which would be brilliant. cost me £75 excess and on the docket it was priced at £1700, plus I had to sign that if for any reson my insurers dont pay up I am liable :( really hope theres no probs!

#17 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:48 AM

I just had mine done last week and didnt even think of going for the heated screen which would be brilliant. cost me £75 excess and on the docket it was priced at £1700, plus I had to sign that if for any reson my insurers dont pay up I am liable :( really hope theres no probs!

Bloody hell who changed that :unsure:

I'm sure the last one I had done was only £4xx + VAT :blink:

#18 182ian

182ian

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:54 PM

Do you know what the full quote was? I have been quoted £300 for a regular screen locally. That probably doesn't include removing the clam, which is a moot point in my case, but I would definitely be interested in a heated screen if only £400ish.

Is Sinclaires down by you? Cheers.

I only have a copy of an estimate they sent which only shows there labour cost. That is £350 but i do not know the price of the screen itself! Sinclaires are based in Romford, Essex. Heres their website (Sinclaires) and it was Andy that dealt with my car so im sure he would be happy to give a bit more info if anyone wants it.

Edited by 182ian, 02 August 2009 - 03:55 PM.

#19 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

Jeez O Petes! :o

No wonder they wanted you to co-sign. :rolleyes:

#20 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:31 PM

Thread resurrection time!

Anyone remember if this was a 340R screen (which are available here: http://www.heatedwin...indscreens.html) or was it Sinclaire's (who appear to be no more..) own?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users