Photo

Mmg Underdrive Pulley Kit - Turbo Only

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 starlight

starlight

I used to have a Europa, and had a VX220T once...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Oily bits...

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:05 PM

Have been looking round at getting an underdrive pulley kit for my turbo since my belt idler pulley bearing has started sounding like a squirrel...

Anyway, I've been in contact with MMG Performance and Liam is willing to sell their underdrive kit for £150 incl P&P (as opposed to £189 plus postage) if we do a group buy of 5 or more... :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

From the website:

Real HP & torque gains across entire RPM range.
Underdriven pulleys are a performance product that actually net additional engine torque and bhp by reducing parasitic drag caused by belt-driven accessories, but more importantly by being lighter and reducing rotational mass. This modification also allows for quicker gear changes due to the RPM being more responsive.

Free up 12-15 BHP

These are some of the best bhp improvements you can find for your money.
The kit has been designed to allow you to remove the auxiliary belt tensioner, a/c idle pulley and all of the casting they are bolted to, so in total 4.65kgs can be lost as a direct result of fitting this kit.

INCLUDED IN THE KIT:-

1X UNDERDRIVEN PULLEY
1X ADJUSTABLE ALTERNATOR BRACKET
1X BELT

Posted Image

Posted Image

All this for £150

Better than using the standard pulley and a short belt, as there will be no issues with oil pipe clearance thumbsup

1. pjohn151

#2 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Interests:Things that rotate.
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:03 PM

Still seems expensive, but what the hell!

#3 Mac vx

Mac vx

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:53 PM

After one of these too. Count me in. 1. pjohn151 2. Kipper 3. mac vx 4. 5. Let me know when we need to pay and who lol

#4 John Faulkner

John Faulkner

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:18 PM

free up 12-15bhp!?!?!?!?! :blink: :rolleyes:

#5 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Interests:Things that rotate.
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:12 AM

I do have my doubts :unsure:

#6 starlight

starlight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:02 AM

I do have my doubts :unsure:

Well, I don't believe you can get that kind of power increase either, at least not steady state engine speed - aux drive belt drag (excluding alternator loading) is normally in the region of around a constant 2-3Nm parasitic loss depending on belt routing and number of pulleys, so probably most gains would be from the reduction in rotational inertia, and therefore its losses in relation to changing engine speed... :unsure:

but as stated before, you do get rid of almost 5kg of weight, and in my case a rather annoying squirrel sound coming from my idler pulley bearing :) Plus it is a full kit requiring no other parts and includes a purpose designed adjustable alternator bracket, allowing proper set up of the belt tension

Edited by pjohn151, 04 September 2009 - 07:05 AM.

#7 Muttley

Muttley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:15 AM

Liam put this on my car back in June this year, don't know about the 10-15 bhp increase but it sure does make the engine rev alot easier. Well worth the money imho. Steve

#8 redvts

redvts

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:43 AM

once the group buy is closed how do tou go about paying? ring the company direct and tell them you are on the list? just ive never done one before

Edited by redvts, 04 September 2009 - 08:44 AM.

#9 redvts

redvts

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:43 AM

whats it like to fit one of these? im assuming its a clam off job?

#10 starlight

starlight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:13 PM

Haven't fitted mine yet, but you can access everything from the drivers side wheelarch after taking out the liner. Might need to remove the undertray, but certainly don't need to take the clam off thumbsup

#11 redvts

redvts

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:45 AM

oh right not as bad as i thought then, seriously thinking about doing it

#12 John Boy

John Boy

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:30 PM

Guys, couple of questions: 1. The new drive in the second photo shows several pulleys excluded from the new set up. What are these and what will drive them now. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? 2. Will this work well with a lightened flywheel? I presume that they are both after the same goal, to speed up spin up and down. Cheers John

#13 starlight

starlight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:48 PM

1. The new drive in the second photo shows several pulleys excluded from the new set up. What are these and what will drive them now. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

The other two pulleys are a belt tensioner pulley and an idler pulley. The idler pulley would be an air con unit (or power assisted steering :unsure: ) pulley, which on the VX220 aren't fitted. The fitting of the kit removes the need for these (the belt tension is manually set with the alternator position in the kit) and in conjunction with the crankshaft pulley, remove just under 5kg of weight from the engine.

2. Will this work well with a lightened flywheel? I presume that they are both after the same goal, to speed up spin up and down.

Correct, the two are after the same goal of reducing rotating mass, hence its inertia, and so speeds up the engine spin up and down, so yes it would work well with a lightened flywheel thumbsup

Edited by pjohn151, 05 September 2009 - 12:51 PM.

#14 John Boy

John Boy

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:06 PM

1. The new drive in the second photo shows several pulleys excluded from the new set up. What are these and what will drive them now. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

The other two pulleys are a belt tensioner pulley and an idler pulley. The idler pulley would be an air con unit (or power assisted steering :unsure: ) pulley, which on the VX220 aren't fitted. The fitting of the kit removes the need for these (the belt tension is manually set with the alternator position in the kit) and in conjunction with the crankshaft pulley, remove just under 5kg of weight from the engine.

2. Will this work well with a lightened flywheel? I presume that they are both after the same goal, to speed up spin up and down.

Correct, the two are after the same goal of reducing rotating mass, hence its inertia, and so speeds up the engine spin up and down, so yes it would work well with a lightened flywheel thumbsup

Sounds good to me. Sold then:

1. pjohn151
2. Kipper
3. mac vx
4. John Boy

Now just need a group buy on lightened flywheels!

#15 bigp2

bigp2

• PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:12 PM

Sounds good to me. Sold then:

1. pjohn151
2. Kipper
3. mac vx
4. John Boy

Now just need a group buy on lightened flywheels!

Any chance of getting the bracket on its own? I have a pulley and belt from another buy but could do with a bracket to make it easier to fit.

Phil

#16 Dynamo

Dynamo

• PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Interests:karting, kungfu, racing.

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:39 PM

I will have one too please: 1. pjohn151 2. Kipper 3. mac vx 4. John Boy 5. Dynamo Thanks for sorting out the group buy thumbsup

#17 starlight

starlight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:16 AM

OK, fitted mine this last weekend. I'll put together a set of guidelines as I have a load of pictures to go with it.

Highlights - You can fit all of this by removing only the rear r/h side wheel and archliner (I did it without taking off the undertray - but for removing the redundant idler pulley and tensioner brackets, it would be easier to get to the bolts from underneath than struggle to get your arm in through the wheel arch and around the chassis)

Issues - There are a lot of male torx headed bolts to remove. I found that an assortment of standard imperial sockets (5/16", 3/8", 7/16") fitted perfectly well without chewing up the head.

All done in less than an hour (including taking pictures).
And yes, you can tell the difference when accelerating through the gears - especially in 1st/2nd :)

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Oh, and it got rid of my squirrel noises :D

Group buy discount is still available from MMG, PM me for details

#18 Dynamo

Dynamo

• PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Interests:karting, kungfu, racing.

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:01 PM

OK, fitted mine this last weekend. I'll put together a set of guidelines as I have a load of pictures to go with it.

Hi there pjohn151, I would like to fit this before I go off to Spa next Thursday with the Lotus on Track trip.

Would you have time to post up your fitting guide before this weekend? I'm planning to fit it this weekend, and your guide would ensure I do it properly!

Thanks

Adrian

#19 starlight

starlight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:27 AM

As previously mentioned you will need a set of sockets that will fit the torx head bolts that are found in the engine bay. First a bit of health and safety - Working on cars is dangerous, and no liability accepted for any omissions from the following sequence - these were how I fitted the kit, and in no way form definitive instructions

Jack up rear and remove drivers side wheel
Posted Image

Remove the brackets from the inlet manifold to the alternator and cylinder head
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 starlight

starlight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

Remove the wheelarch liner
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users