• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#21 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,103 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:29 PM

Nope, not once......it started 'ticking' (chain skipping at the top end) then snapped on the way to the garage to have it looked at.

Wonder if your pressure switch wasnt working properly then as if no pump then no pressure. I should get some more gauge holders made then you can buy them and install some oil pressure gauges :)

#22 AliM

AliM

insert humour here

• 9,146 posts
  • Interests:playing cars and general mischief.

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:30 PM

My bill came in at £3k+ with a new clutch and lightened fly.....roughly broken down:

Replacement engine £1500 +vat
Labour 500+vat
Parts circa £800+vat

A painful experience without doubt...FWIW my clam stayed on throughout thumbsup

:blink: that really isn't an option for me. I'd have to sell the car to raise the funds lol
Thanks for the info.

my advice would be to replace the engine, at 67k it's just not worth spending money on :(

if you buy a secondhand engine have the chain kit replaced before the engine is fitted.

thanks Vocky, using the engine on ebay as an example, would it be worth me putting one in that's done more miles than my own? granted it's only 2k more, but it'd be ok as long as i did the chain kit?

Edited by AliM, 07 September 2009 - 07:34 PM.

#23 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,103 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:34 PM

Ali, if you do a search for "cam chain snapped an hour ago" you'll see all you need to know from when mine went last year, 8 weeks after I got the car. I managed to swap the engine with no prior experience. If someone could put up a link to thread that would be cool.

James

Link

There ya go

#24 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:35 PM

generally the z22se lasts well over 100k, the old style oil jet kills most of them well before then. try and get the lowest mileage example you can find, then fit a new timing chain kit - no matter what !

#25 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:37 PM

here you go, 59000 miles, £600 buy it now

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...id=p3286.c0.m14

#26 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:41 PM

Nope, not once......it started 'ticking' (chain skipping at the top end) then snapped on the way to the garage to have it looked at.

Wonder if your pressure switch wasnt working properly then as if no pump then no pressure. I should get some more gauge holders made then you can buy them and install some oil pressure gauges :)

Might have been a sensor fault, I'm not mechanically minded enough to know how they/that works...maybe Vocky could clear that up?

All I know is that it grenaded itself with an almighty 'bang' @5000rpm....sounds like Ali might have been using less revs, but even so, if you do the maths the pistons/valves are going to hit each other many many times per second.

Oh, and for future reference, you have to put a £1k refundable bond on a replacement unit.....if your foobarred engine has cracked the block etc the replacement engine (from vaux) will set you back £2.5k ish plus VAT.

#27 AliM

AliM

insert humour here

• 9,146 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:41 PM

generally the z22se lasts well over 100k, the old style oil jet kills most of them well before then.

try and get the lowest mileage example you can find, then fit a new timing chain kit - no matter what !

will do, thanks very much thumbsup

Thanks to everyone for their replies :)

#28 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

and don't buy a z22yh, they are different :rolleyes:

#29 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:46 PM

Sh!t sorry to see this Ali. :(

If you don't go the whole hog with a replacement engine of some form, these people seem to offer a good value head refurb service. No idea how good they are though. I've also got a set of unused head bolts you can have and might even have an unused head gasket. You'll still need a new timing chain kit and possibly/probably a balance shaft chain kit. If like Jules' car, the oil pump died first, you'll probably be better off risking a 2nd hand engine as they are silly money on their own, let alone with all of the other bits. All depends on getting the head off to see whether the damage is limited to the head, or not.

If you do go down the rebuild route and find any piston damage, I've got my original set of rods and pistons that you're welcome to have. Maybe Vocky can advise if these are re-usable in a different engine but will probably need new piston rings? :unsure:

Edited by techieboy, 07 September 2009 - 07:53 PM.

#30 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,103 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:47 PM

08454084000 thats the number for Doncaster Motor Spares, its the biggest scrap yard in england so may have an engine for you. That one i linked to says you can see hear it running before you buy which is a bonus. Jules_s: They basically work by a piece of metal joining 2 contacts which creats a circuit and lights the light, when you start the engine the oil pressure pushes the piece of metal off the contacts and breaks the circuit and the light goes out, if the pressure drops a spring pushes it back onto the contacts and lights the light again

#31 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:49 PM

worth asking Junks if he has a 2.2 , or see if MaxR has in his spares pile

#32 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:55 PM

If you do go down the rebuild route and find any piston damage, I've got my original set of rods and pistons that you're welcome to have. Maybe Vocky can advise if these are re-usable in a different engine but will probably need new piston rings? :unsure:

yes your old pistons should be fine Matt and would make an engine rebuild much more reasonable, then it would just be a case of replacing/repairing the damaged head

#33 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:55 PM

or see if MaxR has in his spares pile

I don't think he wants to sell his spare engine

#34 rsg

rsg

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:56 PM

sorry to hear :( I've seen snapped chain cylinder heads go for 100 or so quid on ebay, so you might be able to recoop some of the costs back, or sell the complete engine damaged if you get a new one. They usually go for a few hundred quid

#35 AliM

AliM

insert humour here

• 9,146 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:03 PM

Thanks Matt, I should know the way forward by the end of the week. I've had some really kind offers of help today via PM too so maybe things aren't going to be as bad as i'd feared. You're a good bunch :)

Edited by AliM, 07 September 2009 - 08:15 PM.

#36 snowwhite

snowwhite

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

:( :( So sorry to hear this Ali ! :( :( The best advice has already been given so not anything I can add. Hope you can sort it without costing too much, need any help from down south you know where I am (could do a mid-night raid on Fab's shed if you need some parts ;) :P ) Best of luck chinky chinky :(

#37 jasvxt

jasvxt

Scary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:44 PM

Low mileage engine would be the answer and an immediate replaced chain just to be extra safe chinky chinky J

Edited by jasvxt, 07 September 2009 - 08:46 PM.

#38 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:58 PM

If the block is OK, then I would be tempted to fix the engine instead of replace. Block doesn't have to be removed from the car, not that it's hard, and you keep the matching serial number on your engine.

#39 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:09 PM

head starting at 99p even if the miles are a bit higher than ideal.
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...id=p3286.c0.m14

Best of luck!

#40 Nelly Vx

Nelly Vx

3/3 Of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:22 PM

I have a spare cyl head which needs valves can have it built up for the weekend and iam willing to donate it for your cause chinky chinky

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users