Photo

Timing Chain Disaster.

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#41 AliM

AliM

insert humour here

• 9,146 posts
  • Interests:playing cars and general mischief.

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:42 PM

I have a spare cyl head which needs valves can have it built up for the weekend and iam willing to donate it for your cause chinky chinky

Thank you, I'll pm you :)

#42 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:10 PM

Thinking from a completely different angle but there are 1 or 2 people requesting project cars for engine swaps in the Cars Wanted forum. If you want the easy way out then that could be an option. So sorry the hear of another one going. Really need to sort mine out.

Edited by Ouchie, 07 September 2009 - 10:11 PM.

#43 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:13 PM

Very sorry to read this. No words of wisdom I'm afraid. Hope you get sorted. thumbsup

#44 Nelly Vx

Nelly Vx

3/3 Of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:16 PM

Thinking from a completely different angle but there are 1 or 2 people requesting project cars for engine swaps in the Cars Wanted forum.
If you want the easy way out then that could be an option.

So sorry the hear of another one going. Really need to sort mine out.

Can't see Ali letting Brum go that easy tbh thumbsdown

#45 AliM

AliM

insert humour here

• 9,146 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:17 PM

Thinking from a completely different angle but there are 1 or 2 people requesting project cars for engine swaps in the Cars Wanted forum.

I wouldn't think my car was worth enough to even cover what I owe on it.

i've thought about it maybe twice in the last 2 years, but i do love my car and don't think i could part with it really. It's been revived once already this year after the off at oulton park, i'm sure i'll see this through as well.

#46 Nelly Vx

Nelly Vx

3/3 Of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:22 PM

A little bit of surgery and it will be fine I also have vx trade card cheap parts chinky chinky

#47 shilts

shilts

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:Cars, now working @ MOTORPOINT so if anyone wants to buy a cheap car.......

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:28 PM

Right my car has just done 42k; should the timing chain be replaced as the vauxhall pentagon guide says that it should @ 40k??? I would have thought that it would be fine?

#48 AliM

AliM

insert humour here

• 9,146 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:31 PM

Right my car has just done 42k; should the timing chain be replaced as the vauxhall pentagon guide says that it should @ 40k???

I would have thought that it would be fine?

NA engines after 11065400 had been revised, check your engine number. Mine is an earlier one than this and have only just found out that vauxhall were replacing them but it wasn't an official recall.

I am going to put a call in tomorrow, although i'm sure they'll tell me i've got no chance!

Edited by AliM, 07 September 2009 - 10:33 PM.

#49 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:36 PM

I wouldn't think my car was worth enough to even cover what I owe on it.

i've thought about it maybe twice in the last 2 years, but i do love my car and don't think i could part with it really. It's been revived once already this year after the off at oulton park, i'm sure i'll see this through as well.

You have had so much advice and offers of help already that it would seem daft to sell on now. The option is always there as a fall back should everything go wrong.

When does the good luck start anyway?

#50 AliM

AliM

insert humour here

• 9,146 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:37 PM

it would appear 2009 is not my year :lol:

#51 Coral flash

Coral flash

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Vintage/veteran cars, trucks &amp; engines<br />Opposed piston 2strokes, eg:Commer, Foden, Deltic<br />Gardening<br />Rural Life<br />Steve Bell(Cartoonist)<br />Gary Larsen (USA cartoonist)<br />Current affairs(Esp in the village)

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:39 PM

Best wishes whichever route you take with this Ali, all I can offer is my commiserations, and please forgive me if I had a little chuckle listening in when you were trying to explain to the AA telephonist that you were stuck in Penrhyndeudraeth. Could have been worse if we had made it to our lunch venue in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. I have great faith that you and Brum will not give up on each other and Nelly and myself will be organising a celebration run! :groupjump: :grouphug: Cf chinky chinky

#52 Steve B

Steve B

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking and Cars

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:48 PM

Right my car has just done 42k; should the timing chain be replaced as the vauxhall pentagon guide says that it should @ 40k???

I would have thought that it would be fine?

NA engines after 11065400 had been revised, check your engine number. Mine is an earlier one than this and have only just found out that vauxhall were replacing them but it wasn't an official recall.

I am going to put a call in tomorrow, although i'm sure they'll tell me i've got no chance!

Where do you find the engine number?

#53 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:50 PM

:( and after all the hard work :( You'll know a lot more the moment the head is removed - there shouldn't be any need to remove the clam for initial inspection (tho it would make things much easier) If they have a scope you could even remove the spark plugs and take a look inside :blink:

#54 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:07 AM

:( :( ............. :grouphug: from fab

#55 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:26 AM

2010 ftw!

#56 Steve B

Steve B

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking and Cars

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:56 AM

So, my cars on 43,000miles and has an early non revised engine number on the V5. What should I do, take it and get cam chain changed at next service is there anything else that should be done?

#57 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:34 AM

So, my cars on 43,000miles and has an early non revised engine number on the V5. What should I do, take it and get cam chain changed at next service is there anything else that should be done?

Shop arround - start by visiting www.z22se.co.uk and asking Benny for a quote to do it. Then compare that quote to any others you find.

Benny will do it at his place somewhere in the Midlands so if the location is not suitable you will have to find somewhere else.

#58 AliM

AliM

insert humour here

• 9,146 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:34 AM

I'm going to phone vaux this afternoon as they were replacing them foc on the earlier engines, i'll let you know what they say. But i'd advise you change it anyway, this is a nightmare and had I have known earlier I would have done something about it.

#59 AliM

AliM

insert humour here

• 9,146 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:09 PM

I spoke to the Service Manager at Chester today. He said if I get the car there they will have a look at it and then speak to the powers that be. He said i'd need to provide the service history info as it's not been in for service at vauxhall according to their records. Which is a bugger, because I don't have anything from before I bought the car :( and i don't use a dealership for my servicing nor do i have the stamp book. I could spend ££ getting the car to them and then have them tell me they couldn't help me anyway, so i think that's out.

#60 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:15 PM

the vauxhall warranty only lasted 5 years, all z22se engines are older than this. I haven't heard of anyone getting timing chain damage repaired under warranty for ages thumbsdown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users