Chassis

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 alparks

alparks

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:11 PM

does anyone know the difference between the vx and elise (rear part / engine) chassis. searched the net for ages and only getting things like vx is 10mm wider and longer! want to know exact if possible on all dimensions including wheels from where the engine mounts, space between bulkhead and rear cross frame and so on..... or maybe a easier question, im thinking of changing the engine over - wanting something different. can find lots of conversions that have been done on elise's but not the vx (only upgrades) i know of that big conversion on the vx where they changed the body and everything, but want to keep to 4 cylinder like the type r lump. all info would help! chinky chinky

#2 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:44 PM

The VX chassis is much more robust than the Elise, which in turn means it's heavier Do you have access to an Elise TIS, as this shows the difference quite well :)

#3 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:08 PM

the rear subframe is different between the two models, but I'm sure it would just be a case of getting a new rear gearbox mount made to use the vx220 mounting point. someone has already carried out a honda conversion on a vx220 thumbsup

#4 alparks

alparks

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:26 PM

The VX chassis is much more robust than the Elise, which in turn means it's heavier

Do you have access to an Elise TIS, as this shows the difference quite well :)

no afraid i dont, and this is what i need to know - which becomes a struggle.

the rear subframe is different between the two models, but I'm sure it would just be a case of getting a new rear gearbox mount made to use the vx220 mounting point.

someone has already carried out a honda conversion on a vx220 thumbsup

just a rear gear box mount!? so i could use the mounts designed for the elise conversion, modify the vx ones, or get completely different ones made?

also same question as above on drive shafts - use the ones designed for the elise and change the hubs or get new ones made? because is it the same distance from gearbox to hubs width and length??

do you know who has already done the conversion or where the details are?

chinky chinky

#5 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:43 PM

Taken from the VX EPC

Posted Image

And taken from the Elise TIS

Posted Image

thumbsup

#6 alparks

alparks

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:50 PM

cheers mandarinvx chinky chinky do they have the sizes - lengths / widths and so on.......

#7 mclarensboss

mclarensboss

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:59 PM

This is the second response as the first seems to have gone missing......... The lotus 111r toyota and vx chassis's are almost identical. I have one of each in the workshop. The main differences are some holes in the tank area are differnt shapes and places. the engine mounting holes are in different places and tyhe vx has an additional cross beam for the dash board mounting. you are more than welcome to come and have a look pm me for a phone number and we can have a chat Dave Ps this is not guess work but actual measurements carried out by me.

#8 alparks

alparks

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:15 PM

This is the second response as the first seems to have gone missing.........
The lotus 111r toyota and vx chassis's are almost identical. I have one of each in the workshop.
The main differences are some holes in the tank area are differnt shapes and places. the engine mounting holes are in different places and tyhe vx has an additional cross beam for the dash board mounting. you are more than welcome to come and have a look pm me for a phone number and we can have a chat
Dave
Ps this is not guess work but actual measurements carried out by me.

holes in different areas are fine as that is pipe work which can be made to reach easily. but how different are the engine mounts in comparrison to the whish bones (where the wheels end up). also size of bay - is there a major difference?

#9 mclarensboss

mclarensboss

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

Bay is exactly the same. front susp mounts are exactly the same. the rear ends of the chassis are the same but the engine mounts bolt to the chassis in different places (easy to replicate with nut inserts like lotus do) the rear lower suspension arm front steel mountings that bolt to the chassis, bolt on in slightly different places but the chassis rail they bolt to is the same, you would just need to drill some new holes in the right place if you wanted to swop Lotus to vx or vx to lotus. You really do need to have a look ...they are soooo very close to the same

#10 mclarensboss

mclarensboss

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:32 PM

To the untrained eye it is very very difficult to work out which car the alloy chassis if from (unless you look as the sill sections )

#11 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:42 PM

And the cross-members beneath the seats :D Why Vaux decided to use such a shite version we'll never know :rolleyes:

#12 mclarensboss

mclarensboss

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:45 PM

On the vx chassis i have the cross member is the same mine must be a late vx chassis (new with no number stamped into it)

#13 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:49 PM

I thought the VX was the only version that used the cross members with the very fine ridges in the top - like this:

Posted Image

:unsure:

#14 mclarensboss

mclarensboss

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:51 PM

nope Exactly the same as 111r toyota power lotus chassis The vx and 111r toyota chassis's are so very similar

#15 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:54 PM

So Lotus chose to copy a shite design - muppets :rolleyes: :lol:

#16 alparks

alparks

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:07 PM

so could i buy most of the moddified parts which are made for the lotus conversion and fit them to the vx to fit a honda engine (would probably have to modify some parts of them) but in general would those parts fit for size?

engine mounts?
drive shafts?
ecu / loom (obviously have to get it programed) ?
maybe manifol ? as an easy option then get exhaust made from that?

well here is some of the parts from a company in the states for the elise conversion:-

http://www.sunspeed.com/kit.html

Edited by alparks, 26 October 2009 - 10:12 PM.

#17 mclarensboss

mclarensboss

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:11 AM

Lotus did the design the vx is a lotus with a vauxhall eng, box and badges

#18 IvarS

IvarS

• PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:05 AM

I thought the VX was the only version that used the cross members with the very fine ridges in the top - like this:

:unsure:

The fine ridge cross member originates from the S1 Lotus Elise. All the Toyota-powered Elises I've seen have the coarse ridges as introduced on the S2 Elises, like this 111R on Pistonheads:

Posted Image

#19 simsy

simsy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • Interests:Working on sports cars. Motocross bike riding. Power boating in small rib

DOB is not real...

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:19 AM

Do people fit Honda engines to the later Toymotor elises? Please will people stop refering to Vauxhall all the time, we are not talking about the engine bits or gearbox, so whats it got to do with them? We drive Lotus cars in fact. BTW Thanks for the money GM.

Edited by simsy, 27 October 2009 - 08:20 AM.

#20 mclarensboss

mclarensboss

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:26 AM

Your correct about the ridges, I've just had another look at the two chassis's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users