Big Power Vxt Project

• Please log in to reply
4722 replies to this topic

#4621 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:35 AM

I've finally splurged out on a turbo blanket, as my bulkhead area is getting way too hot in summer and I will soon be routing my air intake though it (which would pre-heat my inlet charge!). Bought a Forge one, hopefully that wont disintegrate in a week.

Edited by Nev, 05 August 2019 - 11:44 AM.

#4622 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 01:17 PM

Will you do a before and after heat measure near the turbo Nev?
I was always curious on how effective these blankets are.

#4623 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 05 August 2019 - 02:02 PM

Will you do a before and after heat measure near the turbo Nev?
I was always curious on how effective these blankets are.

Yea, I've been a little doubtful over their ability to help, though they must do something - the question is "how much".

I do have a pyrometer, if the batteries are still working on it, I'll try and pre and post temp measurement on my bulkhead.

#4624 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 04:03 PM

Phewf, I'm on a roll.

Spent the afternoon making and fitting some new bracketry to the O/S/F clam, so that it withstands the air pressure that builds up there. Where there were 2 brackets previously, I've now bonded in an extra one as well as remaking all 3 with thicker metal. I've also found a way to brace the floorpan from the extended radiator surround. Just waiting for the bonding agent to go off.

I'm also 1/2 way though building my new air box (to reclaim my boot).

Edited by Nev, 05 August 2019 - 04:09 PM.

#4625 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:55 PM

The new airbox is made and fitted now. As you can see it just fits behind the drivers seat and passes air through the bulkhead in a 4" diameter flexi pipe to the turbo in an ultra short run.

As far as I'm aware this is the first VXT to be configured like this. Inlet temps will be as low as possible and I've finally reclaimed my boot back which I wanted.

However most of all, the induction sound will be highly apparent to add to the drama, as well as that terrific 120,000 RPM turbine sound of air being tortured. My new config now dumps to atmos (a la chav style), with the option to point it at the neck of the passenger, so he gets hit with a 25 PSI blast of air every gear change. ;)

8gfL4Y0.jpg

OpD1xab.jpg

Edited by Nev, 09 August 2019 - 07:59 PM.

#4626 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:33 PM

Ha! remind me not to ask for pax ride LOL!

Edited by hairy, 09 August 2019 - 08:34 PM.

#4627 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:49 AM

I've been out for a few test drives with the new air-box and it's all working fine. It sounds like a full on NA engine at low RPM which is slowly drowned out by the turbine sound at higher revs.

Blipping the throttle makes it "bark" like a large displacement NA, never ever heard that sort of noise from a turboed car before. All in all very noisy, but adds to drama and occasion.

I took Josh out last night, and even though he's previously been rather "noise tollerant" he stepped out with his ears ringing!

Edited by Nev, 12 August 2019 - 11:52 AM.

#4628 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:41 PM

I've been out for a few test drives with the new air-box and it's all working fine. It sounds like a full on NA engine at low RPM which is slowly drowned out by the turbine sound at higher revs.

Blipping the throttle makes it "bark" like a large displacement NA, never ever heard that sort of noise from a turboed car before. All in all very noisy, but adds to drama and occasion.

I took Josh out last night, and even though he's previously been rather "noise tollerant" he stepped out with his ears ringing!

Oh god :lol:

#4629 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:28 PM

Does anyone know what manufacturer made the OEM thermostat for the VXT (or where I can get a genuine one) please? I think mine is on the blink.

#4630 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:58 PM

I can confirm, it sounds f**** nuts :lol:

#4631 ditonics

ditonics

Turbos aren’t as good as NA’s

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Marks cat, Joes Mum and Stuarts skills with a wonky erection.

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:38 PM

Does anyone know what manufacturer made the OEM thermostat for the VXT (or where I can get a genuine one) please? I think mine is on the blink.

Get one from autovaux or R n D

You can get standard or a colder one for warm climates 👍

#4632 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:07 PM

Good idea, R&D are likely to have good OEM parts. Thx.

#4633 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:21 PM

Ordered it, hadn't realised they have an online shop now.

#4634 joshua

joshua

• Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:29 AM

I can confirm, it sounds f**** nuts :lol:

Yes I can verify from experience like being too close to a jet turbine on load (noise and threat of being sucked in) with the occasional bird scarer going off in your right ear (wastegate).

#4635 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:44 AM

This needs a short in cabim movie.

#4636 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:51 AM

Alex posted a short clip on my personal Facebook page: https://www.facebook...85951868110551/

Edited by Nev, 13 August 2019 - 09:52 AM.

#4637 alexb

alexb

• PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:41 PM

Can you do one with the softtop on, windows and air vents closed please! I'm just curious to see what happens to the softtop  :happy: 

#4638 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:07 PM

Alex posted a short clip on my personal Facebook page: https://www.facebook...85951868110551/

We have to be facebook friends to see i think.

#4639 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:55 AM

Can you do one with the softtop on, windows and air vents closed please! I'm just curious to see what happens to the softtop  :happy:

Implosion, including a bit of risk of smashing the windows I think. At full power, the engine can empty the cabin of air in around 10 seconds, so the windows need to be open at least a couple of inches (if driving hard).

My second step (this winter hopefully) will be to fit the hard top and deliver air from the scoop directly to the filters.

Edited by Nev, 14 August 2019 - 05:59 AM.

#4640 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:59 AM

We have to be facebook friends to see i think.

You have PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users