Big Power Vxt Project

• Please log in to reply
4722 replies to this topic

#4681 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 01 October 2019 - 07:03 PM

Indeed crank case breather to inlet and egr are known culprits for creating crap in engine and causing issues.

Lets hope my EGR doesn't block up, my last one seemed fine and lasted 201,000 miles. Time will tell...

Edited by Nev, 01 October 2019 - 07:04 PM.

#4682 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:48 PM

After approx 2000 miles in my other car, I went out in Nipper a couple of days ago, which made me realise it is oversteering a titchy bit too much, need to get under it and sort that out.

Edited by Nev, 04 October 2019 - 04:50 PM.

#4683 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:14 PM

colder roads could be the reason

#4684 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:55 PM

After approx 2000 miles in my other car, I went out in Nipper a couple of days ago, which made me realise it is oversteering a titchy bit too much, need to get under it and sort that out.

put your arb back on then... 

#4685 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:41 PM

put your arb back on then... 

#4686 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

A pic from a couple of days ago; took my boots and went for a long walk along the dark ridge line behind the car. The sky looks a bit grey and moody, but the sun came out quite a bit during the day.

jDgWnjB.jpg

Edited by Nev, 05 October 2019 - 11:05 AM.

#4687 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:43 PM

Decided to fit my own DIY EGR blanking plate today on my Ford Focus 1.5 TDCI. Looking on the internet I couldn't find any useful info on the newer 1.5 engine, though there was plenty on the 1.6 engine which is much more ubiquitous (but uses a different EGR parts). Anyway, I just stuck my head under the bonnet and worked it out as I went along. After taking the EGR pipe out, I cut and shaped my own 1.5mm stainless steel blanking plate and placed it post EGR valve.

Seeing all this sooty tar being pumped into the inlet of my engine for the last 84,000 miles makes me shake my head in disbelief. Anyway, it's all blocked up now, so it can only swallow clean air. I've been for a test run for about 15 miles and took it though various styles of driving and no lights or warnings came on. Turbo response is noticeably better, pulling away in 1st gear is less likely to stall and I didn't detect any of those dead spots that I used to get intermittently in all gears. All in all a good mod which will certainly improve engine longevity (a lot I think!) and drivability.

If I'm lucky this engine will keep plodding for 250,000 miles now.

v0qE0ef.jpg

Edited by Nev, 12 October 2019 - 02:50 PM.

#4688 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:03 PM

Start my new job on Monday, and the company are paying me a big whack to maintain an operable car for for business, so the Ford will suit that down to a T now. Though I can take country roads to get to work in Nipper if I feel like it.

Thank fook the Z20LET has it's EGR disabled. Though it does seem to have the hardware on the side of the cylinder block, but I don't think it works/operates on the VX220 - probably a left over from the X20XEV generation.

Edited by Nev, 12 October 2019 - 03:13 PM.

#4689 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:29 PM

soooo, about these inlet temp tests.........

#4690 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:08 PM

Gah, after about 70 miles in the Ford, I've just had the engine management light come on. Plugged in my ODB2 reader and have a P0401 error :- insufficient EGR flow. Oh well, it's a small price to pay for better road manners and not buggering up my engine with soot.

Modern cars are just too clever for their own boots, I guess mine has delta pressure monitor. :mellow: 

I suppose it won't be that long until we just step into them and verbally tell them to drive to work whilst we have a snooze in the back.

Edited by Nev, 13 October 2019 - 01:18 PM.

#4691 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:00 AM

Plugged in my ODB2 reader and have a P0401 error :- insufficient EGR flow.

Check on some FORD forums to see if there's perhaps an option for these engines/ECU's that a dealer can de-activate the EGR function and related checks completely. On various engines that's a settable option using the official (scan-)tools.

Sometimes you can also get an aftermarket reflash with such features removed but otherwise normal operation.

Bye, Arno.

#4692 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:17 PM

Plugged in my ODB2 reader and have a P0401 error :- insufficient EGR flow.

Check on some FORD forums to see if there's perhaps an option for these engines/ECU's that a dealer can de-activate the EGR function and related checks completely. On various engines that's a settable option using the official (scan-)tools.

Sometimes you can also get an aftermarket reflash with such features removed but otherwise normal operation.

Bye, Arno.

Thanks, I wouldn't have expected Ford dealers to deactivate it for someone. Might think about it, though I drove my last TDCI for 120,000 miles with the engine management light on (due to lack of Eloys fluid), so maybe Im too lazy!

Drove to my new job in it today, 33% city traffic jams, 66% motorway at 70 MPH, got 74 MPG out of it. Amazing car.

Edited by Nev, 14 October 2019 - 06:19 PM.

#4693 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:22 PM

New cars while devoid of most things sure munch miles for less £££ and no drama

I use a newer french c3 3 pot turbo 120bhp thing so enough for the commute. Over 25000 miles in 18 months returned real world average of 60mpg, literly just changed front tyres and nothing else needed - crazy mpg for a petrol, just makes money v company car. So much so avoided evil derv ;)

#4694 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:06 AM

New cars while devoid of most things sure munch miles for less £££ and no drama

I use a newer french c3 3 pot turbo 120bhp thing so enough for the commute. Over 25000 miles in 18 months returned real world average of 60mpg, literly just changed front tyres and nothing else needed - crazy mpg for a petrol, just makes money v company car. So much so avoided evil derv ;)

Yea MPG if you drive sensibly is just amazing these days.

#4695 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:44 AM

My fester ST is reurning 50+ mpg on a run or 40 around town. Can't complain at that although more recently its down at 37 ish due to the 'bypass derby' that seems to run around commuting time. I think the speedos in audis need some adjustment as they must be indicating 70 at 100+

#4696 rabbidog

rabbidog

• Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 03:33 PM

My fester ST is reurning 50+ mpg on a run or 40 around town. Can't complain at that although more recently its down at 37 ish due to the 'bypass derby' that seems to run around commuting time. I think the speedos in audis need some adjustment as they must be indicating 70 at 100+

That's good MPG, Have you got a Mk7 or Mk8 Fiesta ST? I had an ST200 which averaged around 41mpg. Brilliant car.

#4697 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:57 PM

It's the facelifted mk7.

#4698 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:18 PM

New job is sapping my essence and I've not driven Nipper for 2+ weeks, but this Sunday's forecast is looking good, might struggle out of bed for a quick blast if the rain can manage to stop for a few hours.

#4699 denno

denno

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:04 PM

A pic from a couple of days ago; took my boots and went for a long walk along the dark ridge line behind the car. The sky looks a bit grey and moody, but the sun came out quite a bit during the day.

jDgWnjB.jpg

You need a bigger wing.

#4700 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:26 PM

You need a bigger wing.

What I really need is some spare time and dry weather to drive him, I'm off to America for 2 weeks on Monday to meet my boss, which won't help with that. :( He's offered to take me out in his Porsche, I will have to bite my tongue and say nice things about it. ;)

Edited by Nev, 24 October 2019 - 08:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users