21 replies to this topic

#1 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:50 AM

I've only one key for my waggon and I had a scary bending experience with a frozen lock. Figured I'd best get another one. Thought I'd get one cut and try coding it in with the op-com. Has anyone done this that can give me some pointers? Cheers chinky chinky

#2 starlight

starlight

I used to have a Europa, and had a VX220T once...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Oily bits...

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:56 AM

Been there, done that... Got a key cut from the key number (after getting that through OP-COM) at a dealer, but could easily of got from anywhere I suppose as long as you get one with a transponder chip - although I seem to remember one member having problems with an aftermarket one :unsure: . just a case of putting new key into ignition and switching ignition on, connect OP-COM, go into the immobiliser bit, and teach it the new chip in the key, then all should be well. While you are there, you may aswell delete any keys that you no longer have (make sure its not your other key :) )... job done!

#3 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:44 AM

Nice one. Thats EXACTLY what I wanted to hear. Thanks chinky chinky

#4 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

FLD when you find out how much a new key blank would be would you let me know (also if you get discount for buying more than one I would be happy to send you the money for it or them (maybe 2 depending on £s). I am the same in that I have only the one key and alarm fob and petrified of losing it - called at a key cutters the other week and he said that he could cut me a 'dumb' key, but as for copying the code it was a definite No, which I have been tempted by as a last resort should I lock the key in the car or boot - I have my moments! Or am I suggest a rather abstract group buy here? I don't have Op-com (have ScangaugeII), but am willing to buy or if someone could take one along to the Diygarages day then that may be a very useful demonstration.

#5 lrid

lrid

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

I paid about £25 - £30 to get a spare key from VX using the security code in the information pack

#6 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:07 PM

I am in a simplar position, with 1 key and 1 zapper. If I knew someone nearby with opcom, id be tempted to try creating a working second key too...

#7 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:26 PM

Unfortunately I don't have the magic red card, so would have to order a new one and that was going to be an expensive ball-ache according to the Vaux dealer. I am interested in going back to the key cutters to see whether the blanks he had actually had the transponder chip in it. As for Alarm Fob, I believe that is a call to the Alarm manufacturer, correct?

Edited by Mangham54, 19 January 2010 - 12:27 PM.

#8 Tommo

Tommo

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:27 PM

Ive just bought a blank key of a guy on ebay with the transponder with the intention of doing this. Cost about 9 quid including postage. Ill let you know how it get on with it when it arrives.

#9 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:38 PM

Unfortunately I don't have the magic red card, so would have to order a new one and that was going to be an expensive ball-ache according to the Vaux dealer.

I am interested in going back to the key cutters to see whether the blanks he had actually had the transponder chip in it.

As for Alarm Fob, I believe that is a call to the Alarm manufacturer, correct?

Getting a new card is easy enough. 27 quid and your V5 is all thats needed. It takes about two weeks though. I'll ask about keys at vxl when I'm in next (its a frequent occurance :rolleyes: ). You can get alarm fobs off fleabay and porgram them in easily enough thumbsup

#10 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

Unfortunately I don't have the magic red card, so would have to order a new one and that was going to be an expensive ball-ache according to the Vaux dealer.

I am interested in going back to the key cutters to see whether the blanks he had actually had the transponder chip in it.

As for Alarm Fob, I believe that is a call to the Alarm manufacturer, correct?

Getting a new card is easy enough. 27 quid and your V5 is all thats needed. It takes about two weeks though. I'll ask about keys at vxl when I'm in next (its a frequent occurance :rolleyes: ). You can get alarm fobs off fleabay and porgram them in easily enough thumbsup

would trade card get the keys cheaper? or arent they a "service" part...

#11 Klink

Klink

• Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:Waterskiing

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

I've only one key for my waggon and I had a scary bending experience with a frozen lock. Figured I'd best get another one. Thought I'd get one cut and try coding it in with the op-com. Has anyone done this that can give me some pointers?

Cheers chinky chinky

Autovaux can get you a blank key c/w transponder - make sure it is the correct transponder for a VX, I got one off e-Bay supposedly for all Vauxhalls but didn't work. Autovaux came up with the blank at a reasonable price (can't remember now but will look for the invoice tonight). Take the blank to your local locksmith and get it cut to match the key you already have - £5.00. Op-Com will then code it in as long as you have the Pin code for your car (Op-Com will ask for it before it allows you access to the programming options).

The red card people speak about is for coding the key fob to the Meta alarm fitted in the car. If you get a new (or 2nd hand) fob for the alarm & central locking it will need to be coded by dealer (or preferably Abacus Car Alarms) from the info on the red card. After that you can sync it with the car as long as you have an existing working remote fob.

#12 Tommo

Tommo

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:22 PM

I've only one key for my waggon and I had a scary bending experience with a frozen lock. Figured I'd best get another one. Thought I'd get one cut and try coding it in with the op-com. Has anyone done this that can give me some pointers?

Cheers chinky chinky

Autovaux can get you a blank key c/w transponder - make sure it is the correct transponder for a VX, I got one off e-Bay supposedly for all Vauxhalls but didn't work. Autovaux came up with the blank at a reasonable price (can't remember now but will look for the invoice tonight). Take the blank to your local locksmith and get it cut to match the key you already have - £5.00. Op-Com will then code it in as long as you have the Pin code for your car (Op-Com will ask for it before it allows you access to the programming options).

The red card people speak about is for coding the key fob to the Meta alarm fitted in the car. If you get a new (or 2nd hand) fob for the alarm & central locking it will need to be coded by dealer (or preferably Abacus Car Alarms) from the info on the red card. After that you can sync it with the car as long as you have an existing working remote fob.

Just got to this stage, where do you get the pin for your car from?

#13 Klink

Klink

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

[/quote] Just got to this stage, where do you get the pin for your car from? [/quote] Its on the Vauxhall "Car Pass" you should have got with the car - its listed as the "Security Code". You can also find it as the first four digits of the 16-digit code on the red plastic code card. Just found the bill from Autoxaux - the key blank c/w transponder was £24.

#14 Harry0075

Harry0075

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Interests:Cars (Classic + Sportscars), Running, Cycling, and Discovery Turbo!

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

Autovaux can get you a blank key c/w transponder - make sure it is the correct transponder for a VX

Klinx, is there a part number on Autovax? having looked under the vx220 parts area I cant seem to find it :blink: thanks.

#15 Klink

Klink

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:32 PM

Autovaux can get you a blank key c/w transponder - make sure it is the correct transponder for a VX

Klinx, is there a part number on Autovax? having looked under the vx220 parts area I cant seem to find it :blink: thanks.

No - I called up and ordered it on the phone. I think they had to get it from another supplier - it wasn't a stock item.

#16 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

for ANYTHING from autovaux, CALL them, they are an old skool company with a token gesture internet presence.

#17 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

So for clarity... If I just order myself the magic red card then it will cover all my needs.... I.e. Meta Alarm programming code and the code for the Op-com to program the key! Or have I missed something?

#18 Harry0075

Harry0075

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Interests:Cars (Classic + Sportscars), Running, Cycling, and Discovery Turbo!

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

slindborg, klink- Thanks will give autovaux a call tomorrow. thumbsup

#19 p4cks

p4cks

Newbie abuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:42 PM

The red card is for the alarm only. If you do not have the red card you can not have a fob programmed.

The security card is a laminated piece of paper with some codes on, which you need to programme the key using the OP-COM reader.

#20 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:55 PM

Cheers P4cks. Sorry for being dumb!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users