• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:24 PM

if you had to opt between a z20leh or built z20let , do you have an choice on gearbox?

m32 ( diesel I think ) :unsure:
Posted Image

gear clusters ?
* * WR * * * * OPC / Z22YH
1 - 3.818 * * * * * 3.818
2 - 2.053 * * * * * 2.158
3 - 1.302 * * * * * 1.475
4 - 0.959 * * * * * 1.067
5 - 0.744 * * * * * 0.875
6 - 0.614 * * * * * 0.744
R - 3.545 * * * * * 3.545

final drive
3.94 for z16let, z20lel, z20ler
3.83 for z20leh
3.65 for z22yh, z17dtj, z19td, z19dtl, z19dth, z19dtj
3.35 for z17dtj ecoblex

f23
Posted Image

Edited by siztenboots, 03 February 2010 - 12:29 PM.

#2 cnrandall

cnrandall

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:40 PM

Have to say I've been very pleased with my M-32... hasn't missed a beat in race use although the oil cooler was a good mod. Would wholeheartedly recommend.

#3 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:53 PM

some more info; Variante 1 - Wide ratio Variante 2 - Wide ratio Close ratio ...... V1 .......... V2 ........ CR 1 - 3.818 * * 3.818 * * 3.818 2 - 2.053 * * 2.158 * * 2.353 3 - 1.302 * * 1.475 * * 1.571 4 - 0.959 * * 1.067 * * 1.146 5 - 0.744 * * 0.875 * * 0.943 6 - 0.614 * * 0.744 * * 0.861 R - 3.545 * * 3.545 * * 3.545 final drive 4.17 V2 for corsa vxr 4.17 CR for Alfa 2.2 JTS 3.94 V1 for astra turbo z20lel / z20ler 3.94 V2 for astra / zafira vxr z20leh, zafira z20ler 3.83 for signum z22yh 3.65 for vectra z22yh, z17dtj, z19td, z19dtl, z19dth, z19dtj 3.35 for z17dtr

#4 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:10 PM

that alfa ratio set is spot on what I would go for, problem is , all the mucking about with drive shafts, mounts etc.

#5 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:21 PM

that alfa ratio set is spot on what I would go for

exactly why I have one sat in my garage :D

ps: rare as hens teeth to find :blink:

#6 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:43 PM

interesting http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item563c2c41d0

#7 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

Yep I saw it days ago, wish I had the money for that gearbox and that cylinder head Imnotworthy

#8 Code Monkey

Code Monkey

forum whore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:16 PM

Would look into something other than the F23. Cheese strength selector forks be nice to get away from. :angry2:

#9 two4oneuk

two4oneuk

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:19 PM

that alfa ratio set is spot on what I would go for, problem is , all the mucking about with drive shafts, mounts etc.

Once my racing season is finished i could send on the mounts to see if they could fabricated elsewhwere instead of getting from lotus. The inner and outer cv joints must be off the shelf vauhall parts and only the shafts wold be required.

#10 two4oneuk

two4oneuk

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

The worst part is fabricating all the small brackets for acccessory coolant manifold. Drive shaft heat shield and turbo heat shield. The external gear change assembly was fouling my TMS charge cooler pump so had to cut off the big lumb of metal from the box. No ill effects so far.....

#11 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

F23 internals
Left to Right: 1st Drive Gear, 2nd Drive Gear, 5th Drive Gear, 3rd Drive Gear, 3-4 synchronizer Assm., 4th Drive Gear.

Posted Image

-Facts to remember are 1st, 2nd, and 5th drive gear are cast as part of the input shaft meaning they always turn with the shaft, 3rd and 4th drive gears only drive at the speed of the input shaft when the synchronizer sleeve (which is splined to the input shaft) is locked into either gear.

Next we have the Countershaft.

Top to bottom: Countershaft Final Drive, 2nd gear #1 driven, 2-1 synchronizer Assm., 1st gear #1 Driven
Posted Image

-Facts to remember are, the Countershaft final drive gear is part of the shaft, 1st and 2nd #1 driven gears are only splined to the shaft via the synchronizer being engaged to the gears.

And lastly we have the output shaft.

Left to Right: Final Drive, Rev final driven, R-5 synchronizer Assm., 5th Final Driven, 3rd Final Driven, 4th Final Driven

Posted Image

-Facts to remember are, the Big gear just to the right of the Final drive gear spins freely on the shaft along with the 5th gear final driven until either is selected with the synchronizer sleeve. 3rd final driven and 4th final driven are part of the output shaft and obviously are always engaged with it.

1st Gear: Begins with the first gear from the left on the input shaft. Power is transmitted to the 1st gear #1 driven gear on the countershaft (Big one on the bottom) when the shift fork engages the 1-2 synchronizer into the 1st gear position. The gear is locked to the countershaft and power is transmitted through the shaft to the countershaft final drive which meshes with the second to last gear from the left on the output shaft. From there it turns the final drive gear which of course, turns the differential.

2nd Gear: The shift fork on the countershaft moves back out of first gear position and into second. The second gear from the left on the input shaft drives the 2nd gear from the bottom on the countershaft which is now locked to the countershaft via the synchronizer. Again it drives the Countershaft Final drive gear which meshes with the second to last gear on the output shaft transmiting power through the output shaft to the final drive gear, into the diff.

3rd Gear: Much simpler then 1st, 2nd, or reverse. 3rd is engaged by sliding the 3-4 synchronizer sleeve toward the left locking 3rd drive gear to the input shaft, this transmits power to the second to the last gear on the output shaft which again, is part of the output shaft, turning the differential.

4th Gear: Similar to 3rd the synchronizer sleeve is slid to the right engaging 4th drive gear and locking it to the input shaft. That gear drives the gear furthest to the right on the output shaft which is also part of the output shaft, Driving the output shaft and the differential.

5th Gear: 5th Gear is simple like 3rd and 4th however instead of locking the DRIVE gears to the input shaft they are ALWAYS part of the input shaft which means we have to Lock the DRIVEN gears to the output shaft. In this case the biggest gear (3rd in from left) on the input shaft is the drive gear, again note it is part of the shaft. Its mating member on the output shaft rotates freely until we slide the 5-R synchro towards the right. This locks the 5th Driven gear to the output shaft which turns the Final drive gear.

Reverse: Reverse is unique in this transmission since it uses 1st gear componants. The power flow moves from the first gear on the left of the input shaft, through the largest gear on the countershaft (which spins freely on the countershaft since the synchronizer is not engaged and it rides on the shaft with a roller bearing) This big gear then drives the Large gear 2nd in from left on the output shaft, but since there is an extra step in the gear train the output rotation is reversed. A good way to look at this is that an odd number of meshing gearsets will allow both input and output shafts to rotate the same direction, an even number of gearsets will allow the input and output shafts to rotate in opposite directions.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

Posted Image

#13 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:02 PM

moving the gear lever left and right moves the selector assembly in and out. moving the lever fore and aft rotates the selector arm.

Posted Image

Edited by siztenboots, 02 August 2010 - 01:06 PM.

#14 soupdragon

soupdragon

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Revolution

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:58 PM

I've bought a Corsa VXR box off fleebay My plan is to have a chat with Martin Tinker at Man Transmissions in Bedale about making the drive shafts I used his driveshafts many moons ago when I used to do a bit of racing/engine swaps etc And as said previously the joints are std GM units And since talking to PaulS and Kipper on sunday am hoping to get the cables made up as they mentioned a .org member with conections on that front A part from mounts, I'm not sure what else will be required, but I expect a speedo drive is in there somewhere

#15 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:12 PM

I've bought a Corsa VXR box off fleebay

My plan is to have a chat with Martin Tinker at Man Transmissions in Bedale about making the drive shafts
I used his driveshafts many moons ago when I used to do a bit of racing/engine swaps etc
And as said previously the joints are std GM units

And since talking to PaulS and Kipper on sunday am hoping to get the cables made up
as they mentioned a .org member with conections on that front

A part from mounts, I'm not sure what else will be required, but I expect a speedo drive is in there somewhere

talk to slindborg about cables

#16 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:21 PM

fook off :P Talk to James Lisher at Tuthill controls

#17 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:49 PM

fook off :P

Talk to James Lisher at Tuthill controls

okay slinderalla

#18 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:02 PM

I've bought a Corsa VXR box off fleebay

My plan is to have a chat with Martin Tinker at Man Transmissions in Bedale about making the drive shafts
I used his driveshafts many moons ago when I used to do a bit of racing/engine swaps etc
And as said previously the joints are std GM units

And since talking to PaulS and Kipper on sunday am hoping to get the cables made up
as they mentioned a .org member with conections on that front

A part from mounts, I'm not sure what else will be required, but I expect a speedo drive is in there somewhere

the corsa vxr gearbox will require the corsa vxr flywheel if you plan to fit it to a vxT, it will not fit the z22se because the bellhousing is different, but you can swap that with a z22yh bellhousing or even a z20le* bellhousing if you want to use the z20le* m32 flywheel

#19 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:22 PM

just like to add, just been out in my vx for the first time since the rebuild and the 4.17 gearbox with a 300bhp sc engine makes it fecking quick!!!! :groupjump:

#20 soupdragon

soupdragon

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Revolution

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:13 PM

Cheers for the advice re cables/flywheel Re the cables are they the peeps that make better than oem cables for less moolar ? I'm planning on fitting a lightened flywheel at the same time as the box swap but I guess I'm going to have to be careful if the flywheel needs to be different for the Corsa box Maybe just easier to change the casing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users