• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:28 AM

I want to use my redundant front fog switch as a fan override. The fan should operate normally but I’d like to be able to run it after a session on track. If anyone has done this I’d appreciate any advise. chinky chinky Dave.

#2 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:56 AM

do you run your scangauge when on track? if so give techieboy a shout as he programmed his to turn the fan on and off via the ECU (eg the proper way). saves knobbing about with relays and switches.

#3 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:00 AM

You just have to make an extra switched ground on the fanrelais in the front. Easy and is discussed before.

#4 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:01 AM

I have one. The fans are earth controlled by the ECU so when the ecu wants the fans on it just earths them. So all you need to do is splice in a wire to the fans earth, route it to a switch, then earth it. This means when the switch is off the ecu is in controll and when its on the fans are on. Also because its an earth theres no fear of the switch getting hot.

#5 Muttley

Muttley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:03 AM

My mates call mine the "Stevie Switch" Have always been paranoid about water temps in all my cars and my mates take the p*ss out of me for it. Duncan (I like gay music) VXR fitted one into the VXR, took about 10 minutes and works a treat. Stev

#6 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:29 AM

do you run your scangauge when on track?

if so give techieboy a shout as he programmed his to turn the fan on and off via the ECU (eg the proper way). saves knobbing about with relays and switches.

Tried the code before but couldn't get it to work, think it only applies to the NA :rolleyes:

Got the dash off at the moment so should be easy enough to route some wires.

#7 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:20 AM

Sorry for being dense but any idea what wire to splice into. As the fans under the rad, it isn't apparent.

#8 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:43 PM

http://www.vx220.org..... switch&st=20

You only have to find the right fan relay ground wire (normally switched to ground by ECU)
Splice in the extra cable for your switched ground and finito. thumbsup

Edit:

Switching the grey and blue wire to ground however needs no fuse. You're simply manually doing what the ECU does and the live circuit will be running through the relay as designed.
Run a wire back from it to the cabin, connect to switch, connect other pin to a ground, not sure on grounding points in the dash, having not looked yet.

Edited by Exmantaa, 15 April 2010 - 01:45 PM.

#9 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

http://www.vx220.org..... switch&st=20

You only have to find the right fan relay ground wire (normally switched to ground by ECU)
Splice in the extra cable for your switched ground and finito. thumbsup

Edit:

Switching the grey and blue wire to ground however needs no fuse. You're simply manually doing what the ECU does and the live circuit will be running through the relay as designed.
Run a wire back from it to the cabin, connect to switch, connect other pin to a ground, not sure on grounding points in the dash, having not looked yet.

Exxxcellent, exactly what I needed, cheers fella chinky chinky

Just to confirm, grounding the grey/blue doesn't interfere with the normal operation of the ecu?

#10 Harry0075

Harry0075

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Interests:Cars (Classic + Sportscars), Running, Cycling, and Discovery Turbo!

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

Tried the code before but couldn't get it to work, think it only applies to the NA :rolleyes:

have you got a link to the code or the code? I might try it if so, have a Scangauge and an NA :glare:

#11 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:39 PM

have you got a link to the code or the code? I might try it if so, have a Scangauge and an NA :glare:

You need to program the turn-on and turn-off codes listed at the bottom of this page and assign them to a memory slot on the Scangauge. Works a treat. thumbsup

#12 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:44 PM

xxxcellent, exactly what I needed, cheers fella chinky chinky

Just to confirm, grounding the grey/blue doesn't interfere with the normal operation of the ecu?

No, The ECU switches this wire to ground to activate the relay. In case the ecu switches anyway while you grounded this wire by the extra switch, it simply will "ground an already grounded signal" :rolleyes:

First do a trial for the right connection (simply stick a piece of wire in) before you start modding. thumbsup

#13 Harry0075

Harry0075

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Interests:Cars (Classic + Sportscars), Running, Cycling, and Discovery Turbo!

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:48 PM

You need to program the turn-on and turn-off codes listed at the bottom of this page and assign them to a memory slot on the Scangauge. Works a treat. thumbsup

thumbsup techieboy, will give it a try chinky chinky

#14 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:26 PM

xxxcellent, exactly what I needed, cheers fella chinky chinky

No, The ECU switches this wire to ground to activate the relay. In case the ecu switches anyway while you grounded this wire by the extra switch, it simply will "ground an already grounded signal" :rolleyes:

First do a trial for the right connection (simply stick a piece of wire in) before you start modding. thumbsup

chinky chinky

#15 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:06 AM

Thanks Steve - you gimp :D Done loads of these and as stated mine is using my redundant fog light switch - only one I have had problems with is Harry's but think the fan or something else is at fault her :( good job its an n/a and takes 4 years to get that hot lol DG

#16 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:29 AM

I must be doing something wrong. I've run a wire from the blue/grey terminal(see picture) straight to the battery earth, ignition on then engine on, any thoughts on why my fan aint doing it's thing.

Posted Image

#17 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:01 AM

That should be the right wire... You should hear the relays clicking when you earth the blue/grey wire. Did you check voltages etc. with a multimeter? Black/brown should be +12V Black/green should go to your fan connector (check that connector also for ground at the other wire..) Blue/grey is the switched ground from ecu / override switch (you can just ground to a chassis point)

Edited by Exmantaa, 16 April 2010 - 11:02 AM.

#18 Vespa

Vespa

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Cars
    Girls
    Food

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

I must be doing something wrong. I've run a wire from the blue/grey terminal(see picture) straight to the battery earth, ignition on then engine on, any thoughts on why my fan aint doing it's thing.

Posted Image

stupid question... but are you sure the fan actually works under normal ecu operation? i.e does it come on when temps get high?

#19 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:25 PM

A jumper from the thick Black/Brown wire to the Black/Green wire overrides the relays and should start the fan up...

Edited by Exmantaa, 16 April 2010 - 12:25 PM.

#20 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:05 PM

Quick question regarding the scangauge method when i programmed in the code to turn it on (Memory 1) and off (Memory 2) they worked fine.. but after turning the car off and back on the codes have gone and they dont do anything anymore. is this normal or should it save the info forever?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users