22 replies to this topic

#1 styles

styles

Thunder Lips

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts
  • Interests:Running the VX on a £5'er..... :-P

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

What would recommend as a decent back box? I currently have a 4-1 mani, 200 cell cat and a VSE. The VSE with the setup is insanely loud and needs changing. Should I just go with a Tullett or is there anything else out there which is of reasonable money, good quality and a nice bit of kit. I would like to run under 100db. I do have a standard backbox but am reluctant to have this go anywhere near the car.

#2 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

What would recommend as a decent back box?

I currently have a 4-1 mani, 200 cell cat and a VSE. The VSE with the setup is insanely loud and needs changing.

Should I just go with a Tullett or is there anything else out there which is of reasonable money, good quality and a nice bit of kit. I would like to run under 100db.

I do have a standard backbox but am reluctant to have this go anywhere near the car.

Woo Hoo! so you're not selling?!

#3 styles

styles

Thunder Lips

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:59 PM

Woo Hoo! so you're not selling?!

Looking more likely everyday that she is staying with me :)

#4 styles

styles

Thunder Lips

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:05 PM

Bump, anyone?

#5 Seb.F

Seb.F

Under Your Bed

• 6,045 posts
  • Interests:Tech head

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:09 PM

I would have said Milltek, mine ran at something like 89dB charged, so I'm sure N/A would be quieter, though James' Milltek is more boomy than mine (being raspier with the S/C). But no doubt we'll get the Milltek bashing brigade along to sort me out... :P

#6 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:18 AM

I put a miltek on a similar setup and it was recorded as more quiet than a standard exhaust at Goodwood. It was gone within a month! Martin s

#7 cramman

cramman

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Drinking, Skiing, Shooting, Boats, Walking, Bikes (cross and road).

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:42 AM

Good to hear you're probably not selling. Sorry to jump on this, but I guess its relevant, what are the options. I'd like a new backbox, something a bit louder than the standard one, but when I had a lend of p4cks car, although I loved the pops and bangs, I'm sure I'd get bored of a lairni (sp). Test drove a vse car and again, too loud for me. How much for custom system as a rule?

#8 styles

styles

Thunder Lips

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:31 AM

I would have said Milltek, mine ran at something like 89dB charged, so I'm sure N/A would be quieter, though James' Milltek is more boomy than mine (being raspier with the S/C).

I thought of a Milltek but after what Martin S has just said I think I may stray away. I want something with a little bit of throat. I have only heard the Milltek's on S/c engines and they do sound fine, the n/a might not give the right noise.

Good to hear you're probably not selling.

It was the mrs that was turning it round. She said we do have two cars and why sell the car you love. She had a point :) I will be shed hunting when the summer ends.

Sorry to jump on this, but I guess its relevant, what are the options. I'd like a new backbox, something a bit louder than the standard one, but when I had a lend of p4cks car, although I loved the pops and bangs, I'm sure I'd get bored of a lairni (sp). Test drove a vse car and again, too loud for me.

How much for custom system as a rule?

I phoned Tullett and his backbox was something around £600 inc VAT. I loved my VSE when I didnt have the 4-1 and 200cell. Was just the right amount of noise and was bearable when driving. Now, my ears hurt even at 30mph :lol:

#9 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:47 AM

you have a 2.5" exhaust system (apart from the backboc obviously) so there is no point putting a 2" miltek on it! treat yourself to a tullet or a piper thumbsup

#10 BRG_Pete

BRG_Pete

• PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:57 AM

I have the off the shelf Piper back box (2.25"). In 2008 it was £350 including VAT + Delivery. Not sure on the DB level but with age it is getting louder. I'm running with a matching Piper 200 cell cat, 4-1 Ddblias and recently a 2.4 Manifold. As you're just down the road might have to arrange a run out in it.

#11 styles

styles

Thunder Lips

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:10 AM

you have a 2.5" exhaust system (apart from the backboc obviously) so there is no point putting a 2" miltek on it! treat yourself to a tullet or a piper thumbsup

Thanks for the advice dude :) Do piper still make VX exhausts.....

I have the off the shelf Piper back box (2.25"). In 2008 it was £350 including VAT + Delivery.

Not sure on the DB level but with age it is getting louder. I'm running with a matching Piper 200 cell cat, 4-1 Ddblias and recently a 2.4 Manifold.

As you're just down the road might have to arrange a run out in it.

Thanks dude thumbsup thumbsup

#12 sworks

sworks

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:27 AM

I have the Tullet manifold, cat and 2.25 inch Piper silencer. I am in the process of changing the silencer as it's ridiculously loud!! - all of the packing material in the silencer has escaped though, which is a large part of the noise. Think i will bite the bullet and buy the Tullet.

#13 savvy

savvy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:45 AM

In summary, I think the only option is the Tullett given size/noise requirements. Rest are too loud (piper/larini/vse) or too quiet (miltek).

#14 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:18 AM

the 2.5" late series piper is a nice compromise but dont think they still sell it!

#15 Seb.F

Seb.F

Under Your Bed

• 6,045 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:28 AM

I put a miltek on a similar setup and it was recorded as more quiet than a standard exhaust at Goodwood. It was gone within a month!

Martin s

Very odd as my N/A sat next to James's N/A with the ONLY difference being the milltek, his completel drowned mine out.

Mine with an S/C sounds awesome in tunnels though.

#16 southpaw

southpaw

sans vx for now

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:31 AM

I put a miltek on a similar setup and it was recorded as more quiet than a standard exhaust at Goodwood. It was gone within a month!

Martin s

Very odd as my N/A sat next to James's N/A with the ONLY difference being the milltek, his completel drowned mine out.

Mine with an S/C sounds awesome in tunnels though.

What exhaust are you running seb?

#17 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:38 AM

hes got a miltek thumbsup

#18 Seb.F

Seb.F

Under Your Bed

• 6,045 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

Yeah just a standard Milltek. It's nothing overly special, but it's nice as for the stage 2 it got me 256bhp and 226lbft, and still damp a decent amount of noise so that at motorways speeds it's not roaring my head off.

#19 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

Is the VSE adjustable in terms of sound? I.e. can you add / remove sound wadding for the exhaust to suit volume level of taste?

#20 Duncan_F

Duncan_F

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:58 AM

Is the VSE adjustable in terms of sound?

Yep, there's a pedal just to the right of the brake. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users