Starting Problems

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Z.I.

Z.I.

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:50 PM

came out the gym yesterday and got in my vx (with the roof off of course), put my key in, turned the key, pressed the button... nothing. tried again... nothing. 15 minutes later still nothing. this has happened twice before but the other times it worked after 3/4 attempts. this time it still wouldnt start after 20 minutes which resulted in me getting a lift home and leaving my vx topless as the roof was at home (school boy error). i eventually returned 3 hours later to put the roof on and tried it once more and it started. has anyone else experienced this problem. ive tried a search and it seems like it may be the transponder in the key? but would this be intermittent. i only have one key so cant try another. basically, when i turn the key the lights on instrument panel come on and all electrics work, but its like the button has been disconnected, although it obviously hasnt. i looked at the battery and the connectors are ditched but this is obviously not the problem as lights and stereo etc all work. could anyone shed any light or give me some advice please as its difficult to pose in a soft top when you cant even start it. thanks in advance Z

#2 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:18 AM

I would change the yellow starter relay in the boot first and see if it still does it. Intermittant faults are a pain in the hoop because you now cant test anything untill it does it again

#3 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

I would change the yellow starter relay in the boot first and see if it still does it. Intermittant faults are a pain in the hoop because you now cant test anything untill it does it again

:yeahthat:
Mine had exactly this problem a few months back. New yellow relay and its been fine since. 40 odd quid from vauxhall but about 16 from lotus.

#4 Z.I.

Z.I.

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

cheers for the replies guys. it happened again yesterday so definately need to have this sorted. oredered the relay from elise shop so hopefully this will fix the problem. thanks again

Edited by Z.I., 08 June 2010 - 12:09 PM.

#5 BRG_Pete

BRG_Pete

• PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

oredered the relay from elise shop so hopefully this will fix the problem.

Hope the relay fixes the problem.

I'm stocking up on a few spares and could do with one of these. This is the part number I have "A116M0032" but can't see it listed on their site.

Is there another part number or did you order over the phone?

#6 Sticky

iTB lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:21 PM

:yeahthat:
Mine had exactly this problem a few months back. New yellow relay and its been fine since. 40 odd quid from vauxhall but about 16 from lotus.

Do you have a link to the appropriate one on elise shop. There were no pictures displayed on their site for mePosted Image

#7 Z.I.

Z.I.

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:27 PM

oredered the relay from elise shop so hopefully this will fix the problem.

Hope the relay fixes the problem.

I'm stocking up on a few spares and could do with one of these. This is the part number I have "A116M0032" but can't see it listed on their site.

Is there another part number or did you order over the phone?

that is the part number i have but on the elise website it is B instead of A e.g. B116M0032

#8 BRG_Pete

BRG_Pete

• PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:30 PM

that is the part number i have but on the elise website it is B instead of A e.g. B116M0032

Excellent. chinky chinky

Edit: I believe the default weight of an unknown part is 1kg, I will e-mail them to see if they can update it. Might save a bit on postage.

Edited by BRG_Pete, 08 June 2010 - 12:38 PM.

#9 Z.I.

Z.I.

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

Excellent. Posted Image

Edit: I believe the default weight of an unknown part is 1kg, I will e-mail them to see if they can update it. Might save a bit on postage.

good idea. let us know how this goes

#10 Sticky

iTB lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:48 PM

From the Elise Shop site

http://www.elise-sho...f-p-349765.html

Seems the right price, no picture though.

#11 BRG_Pete

BRG_Pete

• PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:35 PM

good idea. let us know how this goes

Yvo Tuk has got back to me and updated the weight thumbsup

#12 Z.I.

Z.I.

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

the weight has been updated but the postage cost is still the same Posted Image

#13 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:13 AM

It could just be a dodgy connection in the starter button. I'd be looking at this before buying any new parts.

#14 Z.I.

Z.I.

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:20 PM

its definately the starter relay. the problem now occurs every time i get in the car after it has been left for hours, over night etc, but ive found that if i tap the relay in the boot a few times it starts straight away Posted Image should be ok til elise parts eventually get the part in..!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users