• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:17 AM

I have a halfords 1/2" drive 15mm 6 sided deep socket for doing engine mounts... Fits a treat :)

#62 hutchy

hutchy

• PipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

Maybe I have misunderstood how the mount works but as a last resort couldn't you angle grind the mount out above the chassis rail leaving the bottom bolt to fall out? Fairly brutal way to go about it but needs must sometimes?

#63 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

I have a halfords 1/2" drive 15mm 6 sided deep socket for doing engine mounts... Fits a treat Posted Image

I have a similar thing but it won't go through the hole - too much glue. Thing is, I can't imagine a 3/8 would be that much slimmer, as it'd still need to be 15mm.

Will confess, I'm a bit stuck for ideas. I could try a 3/8 15mm, or maybe try and widen the hole by removing some glue. What's annoying is I can loosen all the other bolts, so it would be dead easy if it wasn't for this issue.

#64 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

I have a similar thing but it won't go through the hole - too much glue. Thing is, I can't imagine a 3/8 would be that much slimmer, as it'd still need to be 15mm.

Will confess, I'm a bit stuck for ideas. I could try a 3/8 15mm, or maybe try and widen the hole by removing some glue. What's annoying is I can loosen all the other bolts, so it would be dead easy if it wasn't for this issue.

Ok, a bit of logical thinking.

I went down to the hardware shop and found a 3/8 socket set (they only had the full set). The diameter of the socket was exactly the same as the 15mm 1/2 socket. So I could spend the money and be no better off.

Having had a close look at the orifice (ooh err Mrs) it's just overflowing glue that's the problem. The external diameter of the 1/2 15mm socket is a little over 20mm, so tomorrow I'm going to buy a 21mm wood drill bit and by hand trim off the excess glue.

Will keep you posted as I know you're all deperate to find out how it turns out.

#65 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

I don't think a wood bit will do the job chap... I'd look at a 21-22mm Blacksmith drill (its a sodding great HSS bit on a 13mm shank) then hand drill it off.

#66 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

I don't think a wood bit will do the job chap... I'd look at a 21-22mm Blacksmith drill (its a sodding great HSS bit on a 13mm shank) then hand drill it off.

Well, I think you're right. What I did this morning as a trial was use a file for stone tiles (my metal files were too long to insert and get round the wishbone). Slowly the stuff came off. I also tried a knife and think both combined is the way forward.

Will try and finish it tonight. It's a real pain though as apart from this I think it's a 15 min job either side once you've got the liners out, but welcome to the world of Lotus!

#67 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

Well, that worked a treat. Don't go wasting money on a 3/8 socket set, just get a simple file and trim off the excess glue. Doesn't take long and then the hole is big enough not to bother taping the socket to the extension.

As slindborg says: -

1/2" drive 15mm 6 sided deep socket

+ maybe a file.

#68 out on the bike

out on the bike

• PipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:fast bikes and fast cars

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

Useful guide I did mine today and fitted the poly bush inserts front and rear as well.On the turbo and possibly the n/a there is no need to support the engine while doing the side mounts all I did while putting it back together was put all nuts and bolts in hand tight then tightened the mount to the chassis followed by the top mount bolt then did up the ones holding the mounting bracket to the engine.

#69 Jonto

Jonto

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hi..... It is the same process for doing the passengers side as it is for the drivers side? Thanks Jonathan

#70 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

http://www.vx220.org...lacement-guide/ Tadaaaaa

#71 Jonto

Jonto

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

http://www.vx220.org...lacement-guide/
Tadaaaaa

Ha! i did use the search function but it only pulled up this guide!

Thank you anyway!

jonathan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users