• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#1 Ground Effect

Ground Effect

• Pip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Crackle Free Vinyl, The Universe and how the fcuk we got here :-l

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

Hello all :-] The story so far. The timing chain snapped a few weeks ago on my auntie,s vx220 N/A so my uncle and me who restore classic cars during working hours : - ] have been told to put something V8 sounding inplace of the 4 pot. Rover V8 3.5 from a pre cat car, carbs for ease of use and the vx ready to take whatever we throw at it : - ] the end result will be a vx220 with a V8 and pre-cat/emissions mot,s. Next is engine rebuild so it can rev freely to 6k+ to match the vx gearbox ratio,s while we wait for the adapter plate to be cleaned up and finished. More pics next week if the cam turns up !

Attached Files

#2 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

This could be very interesting!

#3 p4cks

p4cks

Newbie abuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

Holy shit, this will be worth keeping an eye on.

#4 darronwall

darronwall

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts
  • Interests:the older i get the more my genitals look like jeremy clarkson

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

im struggling to see the point myself

#5 southpaw

southpaw

sans vx for now

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:33 PM

Quality lurking - almost 6 years for a post Imnotworthy Good luck with the project certainly different thumbsup

#6 Harry0075

Harry0075

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Interests:Cars (Classic + Sportscars), Running, Cycling, and Discovery Turbo!

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:42 PM

Imnotworthy good luck

#7 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

I'd love to see this rolling. I dont imagine the RV8 weighs much more than the turbo engine either so it is good in that respect. It will be an awesome car. Let me know if you fancy stroking (ooeeerr) to 5.8L (ish) or fancy a twin turbo conversion. I can cast the stroker cranks for chevy rods too. Before you go to far LS7 not an option?? Just thought I'd plant the seed!

#8 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:00 PM

If you can manage to retain the VX balance and weight the combination with a Rover V8 (take it was from an SD1?) soundtrack would be truly epic... Also turning a good lazy V8 with a decent rev limit and shoe horning it into something as light as the VX would really put the sh** up the TVR brigade. I am watching this drooling at the prospect.... Oh and John... the SC pax lap was good - but if this materialises I want a passenger ride - will travel!

#9 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

if this materialises I want a passenger ride - will travel!

Fook yeah! Get in the queue.

#10 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:04 AM

Great stuff!!!!! One of the idea's going round my head and have even been chatting to a few of the guys ref the LS7 engine or RS4 in a salvage n/a as my next project! And the point of it is - have you ever heard a V8? :P oh and the LS* engines start at a very good power rating :D One thing for me the vx is let down by is the engine noise on both models - looks exotic but sounds well either boring or loud exhaust :D DG

#11 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:08 AM

The first 1 tonne plus VX? :wacko:

#12 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:17 AM

The first 1 tonne plus VX? :wacko:

LSx's can produce well over 1000hp. I dont think a tonne would be too much of an issue.

#13 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:20 AM

Yeah, no problem in a power to weight ratio sense. Thinking more of the doubling of the amount of cast iron sitting in the back of the car.

#14 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:26 AM

All alloy v8 is not going to be that bad ;) and suspect the car would be 975kg so def not going to dent performance - in fact it will just help traction ;)

#15 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

We have actual size balsa wood v8 block models (and all other production engines) for doing packaging and various tests. Much prefer a flat plane crank for the revy screaming v8 noise and inherent balance , much easier to package the manifolds as I4 principles apply The rover v8 however is a burbling rocking less frenetic slow rpm crossplane crank. The crank itself is very heavy by its nature and the exhaust manifold needs to be crossed over from bank 1 to bank 2 to achieve correct NA scavenging. Great project, just a little too much fabrication work for me to try.

#16 soupdragon

soupdragon

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Revolution

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:22 AM

From memory a Rover V8 weights about 160kg so weight should not be a major issue I remember the ancillaries on the front of the unit being bulky and adding considerably to the length of the engine So I expect packaging will be the biggest problem, although a lot of the gubbins will not be needed in the VX A modified sump/oil pick up may be needed in a transverse set up And I doubt the std radiator will cope, although there are plenty of options on that front It would benefit from taller gearing than the 4 pot cars too Plus uprated fuel pump and the larger tank is going to be handy! Then there's the brakes, suspension and broader wheels and tyres Will be very interesting to this when you have the engine in situ Let us know what went well and what caused the head aches! Good luck thumbsup

#17 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

Make it longitudinal!
You know you want it... Posted Image

#18 Phear

Phear

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:01 PM

Interesting idea, hope it comes to fruition. I'd love to put a V8 in the back of a VX, trouble is there just aren't many transverse V8's out there that come from FWD rather than AWD applications. Longitudinal is most likley going to require the wheelbase to be extended, which means new subframe, clam etc, etc, etc. The Northstar V8 seems like a good prospect as it came in FWD format but I have no idea on the weight or dimensions.

#19 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:08 PM

From memory a Rover V8 weights about 160kg so weight should not be a major issue

Ah, fair play. I assumed, given how long the Rover V8 engine has been around, that it was going to be really heavy > 200kg.

#20 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

From memory a Rover V8 weights about 160kg so weight should not be a major issue

Ah, fair play. I assumed, given how long the Rover V8 engine has been around, that it was going to be really heavy > 200kg.

Nop it was one of the first all aluminium V8 engines and because of its light weight it was commonly used in different racing categories in the 60's.

Its not a bad engine at all and the project is interesting, but I can't see a huge torque / low rev engine being a good choice for any light car

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users