Photo

Fuel Pump Replacement Guide

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:17 PM

This is a guide to help you replace your fuel pump.

Disconnect the battery and de-pressurise the fuel system with the valve on the fuel rail.

Remove passenger seat and rear speaker panel, I'm not going to explain how to do that tongue.gif

I had already increased the inspection panel above the fuel pump on my own vx220, so you will need to do that first. Please be advised I wanted maximum room to access the fuel pump.

A smaller opening is advisable.

Remove the original inspection cover, check to see where the wiring loom is underneath and then carefully cut the hole bigger. Make a new cover panel and use some rivnuts for the fixings, then it should look factory fit.

So here is the new inspection cover before I made a start to swap the pump

88qIUsw.jpg

inspection cover removed - please be advised this cut out is really too large and too close to the edge. Use the red lines shown below as a guide to the maximum size you should create.

ZrTEZAR.jpg

you then need to remove the plug from the pump housing, then remove the two fuel pipes, these have spring clips holding the pipes onto the housing, press the upper and lower clips to slide the fuel pipes off.
The fuel pump housing is located by a very large circlip, simply remove this clip to withdraw the fuel pump housing, you will need to turn the housing to get the fuel gauge sender through the hole

housing ready for stripping down and new pump next to it

rqmh4mu.jpg

there are two clips holding the lid onto the pump housing, use a screwdriver to prise them open and also note that the fuel return pipe has to be pushed to one side for the housing to be seperated, this pic shows the return pipe which needs to be pushed

ziDlkNE.jpg

housing opened, then remove old pump, be careful with the fuel hose if you intend to re-use the original like me

ZnSD23d.jpg

#2 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:22 PM

note the wiring colours, black to black, grey to red

fXzs9jt.jpg

new and old pumps side by side

PMUENRd.jpg

the old filter, mine was surprisingly clean

qOniJOF.jpg

fit the filter to the new pump and then install new pump into housing, I reused the original fuel pipe and just warmed the end up with a hot air gun before sliding the new pump onto the old pipe, I also added a fuel hose specific clip for good measure and added a cable tie to keep the fuel pump below the white clip on the pump housing

gcx4xBc.jpg

when you cut the wires offset the joins

5jnOSeN.jpg

solder the wires together and use some heat shrink sleeving

ZzyZPr8.jpg

the completed pump, refit in the reverse order of removal, the fuel pipes just clip straight back on, don't forget the wiring loom plug.

S7W1O8r.jpg

Please ensure that the fuel hose is well connected to the fuel pump, you may have fuel pressure issues if the connection is not 100% perfect. Use a fuel pipe clip.

NOTE

I have since fitted a new old stock original fuel pump in my own vx220, there was nothing wrong with the one in this guide and it lives on in another vx220. I did have to replace the jubilee clip shown in the photos above with a fuel pipe clip.

Spitfire Engineering also sell a complete replacement fuel pump assembly, possibly a much easier option

Edited by vocky, 17 May 2019 - 10:47 AM.

#3 BRG_Pete

BRG_Pete

• PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

Great guide thumbsup , bookmarked!

#4 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:01 PM

Thanks Neil, you are a hero, I am selling a few of these now and it has been very difficult to do instructions by phone. why were you surprised by the cleanliness of your old fuel filter? They only clog up when the car is actually used...

#5 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:24 PM

Definitely a good plan to re-use the existing convoluted tube. It took hours of gently stretching to get the new one on, on my pump/housing. Did you have any grief re-inserting the large circlip? Mine (on the ProAlloy tank) was a proper pain. :rolleyes:

#6 lego_man

lego_man

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

Very helpfull guide..! Thanks very much!!

#7 old codger

old codger

• PipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:Clay pigeon shooting, motor racing, cars and bikes.

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

First class instructions. With good pics, which make it much easier to understand. Great Job. thumbsup

#8 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:12 PM

Fuel Pumps for sale, get your uprated fuel pumps here, first class instructions with photos with every pump purchased.

#9 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:55 AM

Excellent guide , thanks Vocky. Presumably you used a dremmel (as opposed to a nibbler) to get such nice edges ? Cliffie, thanks for sorting this item out, you have PM BTW :)

Edited by Nev, 10 October 2010 - 11:55 AM.

#10 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Interests:Things that rotate.
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:16 PM

I used an angle grinder with a thin metal cutting blade, worked a treat. An air nibbler would have produced a much more ragged cut, requiring further dressing off.

#11 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:22 PM

depends how good you are with a nibbler, aslong as you mark off the area and follow the lines then you can be very accurate and quick at doing it

#12 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:08 PM

are your plugs sealed? ive done mine and soldered the new plug on but all the contacts are open, doesnt the fuel cover the plugs?

#13 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:11 PM

No need to seal the plugs for some reason (sizten will be along shortly to explain why) the fuel doesn't create a short circuit. I guess petrol is nor a conductor.

#14 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:26 PM

and how the hell are you meant to fit thw new fuel pipe?? we fcuked it trying to push it on.. we tried blow dryer, boiling water. oven at 160degs.. could not get the fcukin thing on. atm there is some rubber hose but it kinks when its compresed, ive ordered some propper neoprene pipe (8mm int 13mm ext) to replace the rubber pipe.. i was just concerned about the connectors. fuel, wire and electricity mixed scares me lol

#15 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

That petrol and electricity combo is fecking scary, isn't it? :o I stretched the too small end of the convoluted pipe by gradually inserting larger and larger drill bits (the blunt end obviously). Would leave the pipe in boiling water for a minute or two then insert the bit and leave it in there to cool and hopefully remember it's new stretched size before repeating with the next size up. I used polyolefin heat shrink to insulate the wiring joins, as that's meant to be resistant to petrol and not break down over time.

#16 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:03 PM

your not kidding.. well it least i wont have to do that, im pretty sure this gas pipe will do but better safe than sorry.

Edited by chris_uk, 10 October 2010 - 09:05 PM.

#17 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:06 PM

it's the petrol fumes which ignite not the liquid fuel, plus there is no air for combustion to occur inside the tank :closedeyes:

#18 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:37 PM

That petrol and electricity combo is fecking scary, isn't it? :o

I stretched the too small end of the convoluted pipe by gradually inserting larger and larger drill bits (the blunt end obviously). Would leave the pipe in boiling water for a minute or two then insert the bit and leave it in there to cool and hopefully remember it's new stretched size before repeating with the next size up.

I used polyolefin heat shrink to insulate the wiring joins, as that's meant to be resistant to petrol and not break down over time.

I remember well, your on my lets fit a fuel pump list :lol:
Great Guide Vocky thumbsup

Edited by NickB777, 10 October 2010 - 09:38 PM.

#19 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

I also knackered the pipe heating it to get it on. I used a hot air gun and it was too soft and just mashed up when I pushed. :rolleyes: I'd recomend the hot water approach and a silicon sealant nozzle to stretch it. If you knacker yours though its not too much of a trauma they are only 2 quid to replace

#20 jameso

jameso

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:36 AM

Can someone pdf it? hate when I need a guide 6 months down the line and the photos have all gone :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users