400Bhp

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 MJay

MJay

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:40 PM

Ok so I've been watching you tube all night looking at speedos, and track clips. I know what Im like when it comes to power and I know 300 will not be close to enough even with weight saving. So the question is... Q: Stages are pointless and expensive, so I may has well go straight to the end game. What will I need to get close to the 400's? Assuming ILl do all the obvious stuff, ie brakes, suspension, bushings etc etc. VRX Engine to start with? Chassis strength? I know Nev is local to me but havn't heard anything from him recently. PS yes I know what this will cost. Any help appreciated as Id like to kick the build off next week.

#2 MJay

MJay

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:43 PM

Just found this. http://sites.google....power/parts-job

#3 N17VES

N17VES

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:58 PM

Speak to Chris Randall at Hoffmans - His Lotus Europa is race proven and is well over 400bhp. http://www.hofmannso...co.uk/race-blog I think VXR engine is actually weaker (although someone may correct me) for very high bhp builds. 400bhp will be a lot in the vx220 - 300bhp is the equivalant to a 450bhp jap car in terms of performance.

#4 MJay

MJay

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:01 PM

Thanks ill take a look into that guy. Yeah it is alot but I am used to a few more ponies per ton - however I am lookign forward to teh cornering as this is something Ive never had on a road car only track.

#5 fred666

fred666

All Show, All Go

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:04 PM

Personally id try and get a passenger ride in a 300bhp VX. I can't imagine why anyone would need any more power than 300bhp in these little things. Im happy at 240bhp lol

#6 southpaw

southpaw

sans vx for now

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:12 PM

Just found this.

http://sites.google....power/parts-job

Nev's blog/diary

What have you come from that has convinced you of the need for 400+ ?

#7 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:15 PM

Speak to Chris Randall at Hoffmans - His Lotus Europa is race proven and is well over 400bhp.

http://www.hofmannso...co.uk/race-blog

I was just about to post the same....but I knew you were beating me to it :rolleyes:

The thing with Chris is (im sure you've followed the devolpment on seloc and here) that cost a fcuking shedload....and some.

Nev? nice bloke indeed. Too fixated by TLGP's though in my mind, and 10k to blow away some Jap muscle really isnt the point in our plastic pigs :tt:

I'm sure he will try to keep up with our humble NA's around some twisties/hills when he gets it back together again :D

#8 MJay

MJay

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:33 PM

Need? Na - Just want. Ive had just about every car under 30k thats worth owning, now I have to 1/2 build my own lol

Maybe I shoudl keep this as is and buy an atom R.....

Just found this.

http://sites.google....power/parts-job

Nev's blog/diary

What have you come from that has convinced you of the need for 400+ ?

#9 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:18 AM

DG's probably got the best reponse to this but having been out in several 300+ bhp VXT's once you cross that 300 line traction is a big issue, I'd wonder about the drivability on the road at 400?! Jonny's traction control is working overtime in 1st 2nd and 3rd in the dry at just under 300, but you can always choose not to use the power you have but you can't choose to use what you've not got!!! :tt: Be a hell of a plastic missile at 400bhp tho!

#10 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

the answer to this is a Saab B204 with a holset HX40 super turbo 12cm housing, easily over 600bhp reliably. the LET crank is stronger than the LEH. same with the block. you can easily p*ss away 10,000 on a build when on the road and track about 360 lb-ft is quite adequate, forget the bhp pub talk figures.

#11 JonnyVX

JonnyVX

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:38 AM

DG's probably got the best reponse to this but having been out in several 300+ bhp VXT's once you cross that 300 line traction is a big issue, I'd wonder about the drivability on the road at 400?!

Jonny's traction control is working overtime in 1st 2nd and 3rd in the dry at just under 300, but you can always choose not to use the power you have but you can't choose to use what you've not got!!! :tt:

Be a hell of a plastic missile at 400bhp tho!

:yeahthat: It's true, when i get the cash for the new fuel pump it'll be pushing 315bhp & 360 Ft/lbs, and judging how the car behaves now i'm sure it will be a handfull.

I have to think constantly now about getting the tyres warm, making sure the pressure is correct, looking at the road surface!

400BHP may take the enjoyability out of the car! Becareful!

#12 Lordbenny

Lordbenny

Mega Smega Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Interests:DIY Mechanic, CPFC, Food & Drink, Travel,Cannonball Run Europe.

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:46 AM

http://www.pistonhea...les/2175088.htm Imnotworthy

#13 JonnyVX

JonnyVX

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:52 AM

http://www.pistonhea...les/2175088.htm Imnotworthy

Very nice motor kinda makes me wannabe a test pilot as its relatively local!

Or you could just get the 400 numbers from Halfrauds and stick them on the back! :groupjump:

#14 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:53 AM

:yeahthat: It's true, when i get the cash for the new fuel pump it'll be pushing 315bhp & 360 Ft/lbs, and judging how the car behaves now i'm sure it will be a handfull.

I have to think constantly now about getting the tyres warm, making sure the pressure is correct, looking at the road surface!

400BHP may take the enjoyability out of the car! Becareful!

:yeahthat:
I have a mere stage 2 putting out 227bhp and 250lb, and sticky tyres and even with that relatively lowly output I still have to think about warning up the tyres to get grip and bite. And that assumes a dry, ambient day which for winter is less frequent.
If you are mainly going to be driving on track then that is different but for road driving you might find that with 400bhp you will spend most of your time being frustrated as you wont be able to get the power down. Plus factor in the 59:41 rear weight bias and that makes turn-in bite more difficult, add in a cool day, damp road and you'll spend most of the day trying to manage understeer then rapidly flipping to oversteer i.e the opposite of what something like a 350z would do. In those conditions it's weight and balance help to make it a lot of fun as a progressive power slide, not so with our cars, they are about delicacy. Be careful what you wish for, too much power might take away the enjoyment.
I'd still love to experience a 400 bnp vx though :D I've been in Duncan's and that was mad, luckily it was the summer - awesome car.

Edited by dw1, 26 October 2010 - 08:53 AM.

#15 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:12 AM

Here is my 245bhp VXT vs a 640bhp evo. On a smaller track it's all about chassis dynamics thumbsup

#16 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:13 AM

Can never have too much power just not enough grip. How does that ronin dude cope with 700hp? Wider cup body and wider tyres I assue, been watching some of his vids and it does look out of control.

#17 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:46 AM

Nice driving Steve. There you are chatting away casual as you like :D thumbsup Edit to say: mmmm video vbox, drool (how are you finding it?)

Edited by dw1, 26 October 2010 - 09:48 AM.

#18 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:22 AM

Cheers Dave thumbsup Video Vbox isn't mine, it was on loan for the day. I have to slum it with my Performance box :lol: I would love to be able to justify one but the kit I had there was 2K's worth :o

#19 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for the comments on my old vx - forget who did and didn't go out in it at various stages of its life :) Like Jonny has stated once in the 300's you do have to get things warm and drive to the conditions as it can get out of shape very quickly and the throttle response (part throttle) is more difficult to balance once past 20psi :P I kind of never found my car that much of a handfull though tbh - maybe the lower ratio's of the 6 speed box helped? Or maybe I just have unrealistic expectations from a car LOL. hardest car I have driven was a 489bhp fwd clio weighing 460kg! that was not nice on the road lol As a few know I foolishly took on another project vx :P even though I was retiring for a while while my son arrived and got used to some fresh life challenges :D This one will be at least 370bhp and 350ft/lb (maybe more here) and expect it to be a bit fruity :D goal is monster reliability, wide power band and low lag (if you want to call it that) and fully expect a 10sec 1/4 out of it after it has been tracked and full shakedown at Donny once done Weight goal should be 910kg but may be the magic 900kg which gives a nice super car slaying stat! Not a lot left to look at on this car as I have done a lot before so it really is bore block to take bigger pistons and lots of balancing and back together for some running in and then garrett time :) At least all of this stops me putting a big v8 in the new omega estata (the barge :D) or rebuilding it with the v6 with some turbos or a s/c lol. Maybe time for me to build a real special VX next year when funds build back up? Just sooooo easy to go straight to 425bhp with VERY small costs on the vag TSi route and makes it hard to justify what I would rather do :( more cylinders :P Nice driving Steve ;) DG

#20 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:30 AM

Can never have too much power just not enough grip.

How does that ronin dude cope with 700hp? Wider cup body and wider tyres I assume, been watching some of his vids and it doesn't look out of control.

Ok iPhone letting me down plus my own spelling. Corrected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users