465 replies to this topic

#1 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:08 PM

Hello all,

Having looked at a variety of ways to retain a little more heat in the VX cabin I tried a few options and material combinationss and have have come up with a solution. I have had two of these made so fat, one which is fitted to my car and another than Cramman has bought/testing.

They are made to fit directly into the soft top and you have can either double sided tape it to the soft top (for super quick removal of the top on the good days) or fit like have, by draping it of the two support rails, put the soft top on as normal and then tuck it into the corners afterwards. Based on current material costs I am going to offer these for £20 each including postage, initially on just here and vx220.org but will then offer them on eBay (more generally for anyone to buy, but will probably be £40).

From my own personal experience they do make a fairly considerable difference to the amount of heat lost through the soft top fabric, as the materials work together to lock out the cooling draw of the soft top, but as an additional bonus they help cut down the noise from the wind rushing over the fabric at motorway speeds.

These will take a few weeks to sort, so I propose that if anyone wants one, I will take orders until Sunday 14th Nov and will order material and get the person fabricating them on the job as soon as the materials arrive, so all being well the first bunch should be off the sewing machine, packed and posted by the 28th of Nov.

Finally I can offer these with the black liner only for £20, but if you want a different fabric colour just ask and I shall see what I can sort, I know I can get a red or blue tartan (but would be about £10 extra). Additionally the £20 version will be panelled (6 or 8 panels -a bit like feather quilts), but for £5 more I can get them sewn with a diagonal or quilted pattern (see pics below for what I mean).
Pannelled:
Posted Image

Diagonal quilting:
Posted Image

Inside the soft top (as double sided taped in):
Posted Image

How it tucks under the support panels:
Posted Image

As fitted to my car:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

List to follow.

#2 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:10 PM

#3 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:18 PM

1. FLD (cause I'm getting soft!)

#4 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:23 PM

1. FLD (cause I'm getting soft!) 2. SteveA

#5 AMOSS

AMOSS

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:58 PM

1. FLD (cause I'm getting soft!) 2. SteveA 3. AMOSS

#6 badgerade

badgerade

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:30 PM

1. FLD (cause I'm getting soft!) 2. SteveA 3. AMOSS 4. Badgerade - (Diagonally quilted please!)

Edited by badgerade, 01 November 2010 - 11:31 PM.

#7 2.2_na

2.2_na

No Compromise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:16 AM

It certainly looks nice thumbsup

#8 GiGo

GiGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:04 AM

1. FLD (cause I'm getting soft!) 2. SteveA 3. AMOSS 4. Badgerade - (Diagonally quilted please!) 5. GiGo - sounds like a nice idea, looks good too! (Diagonally quilted, looks better)

#9 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:23 AM

I've had mine lined for 6 years now and its great, not sure it does much on the warmth or sound deadening front but it does make the interior feel classier and lighter (mine is light grey mercedes roof lining). The only problems I have is as my roof is on and off a lot, it does at least twice a year need resticking, as mine is sewn along all its edges but attached by spray glue which has been great for all te time I've had this. I doubt double sided tape would last long. Martin s

#10 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:53 AM

The double sided tape I had used on mine (during the trial phase) worked a treat and took a real amount of effort to remove it. Will have a look at where I got it from and order some more and all bring well send some in each pack for people to use at thier leisure. Have you got any pictures of your grey one... I kind of just came up with this idea after borrowing Johnnyboy's lined hard top. Then all of a sudden there seemed to be interest by others and than I happened to be pointed in the direction of an example of the Lotus option extra item on eBay the other week. I also have found some navy and red fleece materials for those with alternative coloured roofs, and I will order that material for you if you prefer, but costing wise would have be slightly more expensive and dealt with on a 1-2-1 basis. Oh and because the interest has been better than I expected already, I will get some of the materials ordered today and try and bring the production of the first batch (20 units) forward as much as I can, if that sounds good to you all.

#11 Code Monkey

Code Monkey

forum whore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:23 AM

I ran mine with thin cardboard last year, means can't remove it but improved heat retention. Also worth looking into a foil if not worried on the removal as will increase insulation some more.

#12 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:42 AM

I ran mine with thin cardboard last year, means can't remove it but improved heat retention. Also worth looking into a foil if not worried on the removal as will increase insulation some more.

I had actually considered adding a space fleece (silver running sheet) sheet to them, but the cost of that material was going to be ridiculous and the use of tin foil was a no go... just think of the rustling everytime you took it off and over big bumps as the material flexes.

From my experience of using it during some colder journeys up and down the A1 I actually haven't had to have to blower on (just set to hot and blower off). But the real test will be later on this year when we get some proper sub-zero temperatures.

#13 cramman

cramman

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Drinking, Skiing, Shooting, Boats, Walking, Bikes (cross and road).

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:54 AM

Mine is on but as it's still summer I'm can't comment on the heat. But, there is definitely a difference in noise, I’ve not been on any motorways or anything yet but it does make a difference and seems to make the stereo sound better. And, it does look good, well finished and looks very OEM once all tucked in etc. With my new improved heater I’m sure this will help through the winter.

#14 muckyman

muckyman

• PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Barmaids

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:02 AM

1. FLD (cause I'm getting soft!) 2. SteveA 3. AMOSS 4. Badgerade - (Diagonally quilted please!) 5. GiGo - sounds like a nice idea, looks good too! (Diagonally quilted, looks better) 6. Muckyman - diagonally quilted please (or diamond quilted if you can do that for the same price)

#15 GiGo

GiGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:31 AM

6. Muckyman - diagonally quilted please (or diamond quilted if you can do that for the same price)

That sounds good! Diamond Quilted!

For foil lining this might work, not too much rustling as it's backed on paper, just a thought.

#16 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:31 PM

6. Muckyman - diagonally quilted please (or diamond quilted if you can do that for the same price)

That sounds good! Diamond Quilted!

For foil lining this might work, not too much rustling as it's backed on paper, just a thought.

Cheers for the suggestion, but having looked at a very similar product in a trade store previously and I had to write that off as it looked as though it would break down too quickly if the soft top was rolled up a few times. The additional issue was that (when trying with a peice of tin foil inside some cut offs we were had) it made the stitching very labour intensive as it just didn't seem to want to work through the sewing machine very well.

As for the diamond quilting I will have a word with the one who will be doing it for me, but will probably increase the time taken to put it together and therefore be a bit more expensive, but we are talking a matter of probably about £2-5 tops.

I'll let you know how much exactly when I get chance to have a natter with her (as she is out with her sewing brigade), I believe to demonstrate some more of her Patchwork Quilting work for the Beamish Museum, again. The stuff she can do is pretty bloody impressive I must say... The dog blanket I have took her about 3 weeks to make and used the best part of £100 worth of materials, but is absolutely stunning and has stood up to nearly two years of abuse from Amber.

#17 2.2_na

2.2_na

No Compromise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:38 PM

as it's still summer

Summer? :blink:

#18 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:51 PM

as it's still summer

Don't forget you are talking to North East lad there... Last week, even when it was 2-3 Celcius a lot of the locals were walking round town in shorts, t-shirts and sandals. :rolleyes:

#19 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:58 PM

I have spoken with the sewing master and the Diamond pattern will be £8 more than basic, so £28 including postage.Posted Image

This is simple to cover the extra time it will take her to do it. thumbsup

#20 cramman

cramman

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Drinking, Skiing, Shooting, Boats, Walking, Bikes (cross and road).

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:02 PM

as it's still summer

Aye, it's red hot up here at the minute, roof off all day saturday, T shirt and shorts all weekend. I'm guessing it'll all change soon tho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users