• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 edwards

edwards

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:27 PM

hia, i found a link which said that the grounding points on a vx220 are the chassis, engine and battery. the battery is clearly easy for me to check however im wondering about the other two the the chassis grounding point behind the vent/sill near the airbox to the chassis? also where would i find the ground to the engine? this is for a turbo not a 2.2 im just trying to rule out a few more things before i go buying a new ecu.....

#2 Nelly Vx

Nelly Vx

3/3 Of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:57 PM

I think there is one going to the gear box / bell housing thumbsup

#3 edwards

edwards

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:13 PM

thanks neil :) would this be ontop of the gearbox? under the header tank? i doubt that would cause all of this if there is a dodgy ground but worth a try :) i will check them all over tomorrow, check they are tight etc, did it read short ground to earth on one of the sensors when you came? i still have the paper in garage so will have to check tomorrow. only have an hour or 2 on this tomorrow then cant work on it for a little while :( too many little cars to strip now. hope your all good though mate ad

#4 edwards

edwards

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:13 AM

ah found this :)

My link

i will check over everything possible tomorrow. no joy then i will assume new ecu is needed :'(

#5 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:20 AM

That rear chassis earth is the NA one. I think that the Turbo one is on the outside of the chassis leg in the same general area. Goes to the top of the gearbox under the header tank. Also check the connector blocks that clip to the header tank bracket. Those are famous for causing problems.

#6 edwards

edwards

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:58 AM

chinky chinky thanks mate, i will check these today, see whats happening, worth checking these today then start to see if its the ecu i gues......

#7 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:05 AM

iirc theres possibly an earth thats sometimes troublesome just under the ECU

#8 Corey

Corey

• PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

Sorry to drag an old thread up, but would a disconnected engine earth prevent the engine from running at all? I can't start the car but am able to get it running via a bump start. Just want to rule things out before I start taking things off lol I have tried searching and this is the closest I can find :(

#9 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:18 PM

on the turbo, one of the ECU bolts that goes throught the clam to the boot also acts as a spade terminal connector for the main ECU earth, if this is loose then it will stop the engine running everytime.

#10 Corey

Corey

• PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:01 PM

What about the main engine earth? The one from the gearbox to tue passenger side chassis, would the engine not run at all if that was disconnected? I can get it to run via a bump start and everything is fine and well. Just trying to find out whether its my start relay, engine ground or starter motor that's stopping it from starting normally.

#11 Mazzy

Mazzy

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:46 AM

Dragging this old thread back up as i'm having the same issues as 'Corey' did. Car will start when i jump start it but will not start on its own.

Not sure what the fix was but hopefully someone can help and answer as its driving me round the bend.

VXT struggles to start, just keeps turning over. I've seen all the posts for checking Relays, Fuel Pump priming etc. but they are all fine. i've pushed all pins for safe measure and also checked if voltages are correct following guides from posts. Again if these were faulty then a jump start would not start the car either???

I have done the following:

1) New Battery, bought a Yuasa HSB063 from Halfords last week. (12.6v IGN OFF and 14.6v CAR RUNNING)

2) Cleaned up battery terminals.

3) Fuel Pump is priming.

4) Relief Valve on Rail pisses fuel when tested.

5) New Fuel Filter fitted.

6) Checked Boot Relays and fuses (all working, clicking etc.)

7) No fault codes stored in ECU

When i jump start it, it runs perfect, idle and power is as expected (no misfire or hesitation). Took it for a drive to see if it will cure but when i came home and turned off it would not start again till i jumped again. Just trying to get my head round why it starts with a jump but not on it own. It turns over fast but just wont start.

Please help????? 

Edited by Mazzy, 30 May 2017 - 12:48 AM.

#12 Mazzy

Mazzy

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:20 PM

Right, i believe i have a bad earth strap from the battery negative terminal to the front chassis grounding (earth) point. I grounded the battery to the chassis and it seems to start car the with some struggle, will investigate more tomorrow and get another cable from Halfords (cheap enough).

I'll update once fitted now.

Edited by Mazzy, 30 May 2017 - 09:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users