Which Exhaust Is Best?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Clez

Clez

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

Hi all, I have a completely bog standard VXT and the only thing I wish for is for it to sound better. So, can anybody recommend the best exhaust to put on the car and the best place to fit it (I am Bristol based but willing to travel). If it liberates a few more BHP great - but it's the sound I want it for. Also, needs to be OK for trackdays, so not too loud - just musical! Any approx costings appreciated too

#2 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

2bular or Tullett. Miltek is okay...and Larini will be too loud for the track in most places :mellow:

#3 soupdragon

soupdragon

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Revolution

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

fred666 got a system he is very happy with at Welsh Coast Customs, Newport thumbsup I'm thinking of giving them a call once the finances have recovered from the festive period

#4 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

Abused a 2bluar previously and was spot on! No issues with track levels even with reg flamming Fan of the 2Bluar one tbh and has been revised recently for even better fit ;) DG

#5 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

2bular is awesome All exhaust manufactures seem to have problems though Tullet can't keep them quiet and resolve this by making it heavy and repack able 2bular keeps it quiet and light but can take a while to be made Well worth the wait though ;)

#6 moospeed

moospeed

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

2bular or Tullett.

Miltek is okay...and Larini will be too loud for the track in most places :mellow:

I really can't see how the Larini can be too loud for track, that is if you're leaving the cats in place. I've got just the Larini backbox and I'll definitely be losing the pre-cat on mine at some point. My old Barchetta was louder than this !!

#7 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

To be fair, I'm yet to hear an obscenely loud Turbo :mellow:

#8 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

Abused a 2bluar previously and was spot on! No issues with track levels even with reg flamming

Fan of the 2Bluar one tbh and has been revised recently for even better fit ;)

DG

And I'm still abusing it, with no cat recorded 98db at 5k on a very cold November morning at Brands. And the flames are still coming :tt:

Another thumbsup for 2Bluar

#9 VXTyrant

VXTyrant

Red Rules!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:37 PM

To be fair, I'm yet to hear an obscenely loud Turbo :mellow:

Yeah. The full larini system on my Turbo is loud but not obscenely loud. I can't imagine it would be such an issue on track but then again I haven't measured the db levels.

The noise is lovely but not deafening.

See the comparison vid in my sig! Although it is a little louder since I made the upgrade to stage 2 but not by much!

#10 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:39 PM

Finally, a benefit of the turdo over any other variant has been discovered - the additional silencing effect of running a turbo. :P :lol:

#11 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:49 PM

T

#12 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

Hi all, I have a completely bog standard VXT and the only thing I wish for is for it to sound better. So, can anybody recommend the best exhaust to put on the car and the best place to fit it (I am Bristol based but willing to travel). If it liberates a few more BHP great - but it's the sound I want it for. Also, needs to be OK for trackdays, so not too loud - just musical! Any approx costings appreciated too

If you're going to the expense of a new full exhaust, you should consider spending a few extra pennies on a full stage 2. The difference is unbelievable. Not just more power, but it's soooo much more useable power - no flat spot around 3 - 3.5k and more grunt generally thumbsup It's how the vxt should have left the factory.

#13 VXTyrant

VXTyrant

Red Rules!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

:yeahthat: I can't believe the difference my Stage 2 has made! It feels like the turbo is MUCH more powerful but I guess that's because the boost pressure is increased. I love it :D

Edited by VXTyrant, 11 January 2011 - 08:13 PM.

#14 goodeg

goodeg

• PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:57 PM

Another vote for 2bular here. Had mine for over 2 years, 15k+ miles and 15 - 20 trackdays with no noise problems.

#15 palmer

palmer

• Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:18 PM

Got a larini on mine, with standard cat. Lovely burble at low revs and roars its head off higher up the rev range. Wouldnt of said it's anywhere near the 105db limit on most tracks though!

#16 Clez

Clez

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:22 PM

Cheers all - some great suggestions to pursue - initial thoughts are to go with a 2tublar. Thanks for the Video comparison with the Larini though - made up my mind to defintely get the standard exhaust changed - you were very thorough showing the differences!

#17 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

If you are going to fork out the expense of a new exhaust, then you may as well go for the stage 2, after all the majority of the cost is the exhaust. Stage 2 will transform you car thumbsup

#18 VXTyrant

VXTyrant

Red Rules!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for the Video comparison with the Larini though - made up my mind to defintely get the standard exhaust changed - you were very thorough showing the differences!

Cheers thumbsup

#19 moospeed

moospeed

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

Got a larini on mine, with standard cat. Lovely burble at low revs and roars its head off higher up the rev range.

Wouldnt of said it's anywhere near the 105db limit on most tracks though!

Have you still got pre-cat in place? I'm considering getting rid of this first to see how it sounds, perhaps with a little bit of airbox modification - that might be enough. Although I think just the larini backbox is still too quiet I don't want to get quite as "race-car" as my old bike-engined Fury with it's totally empty silencer.

#20 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

Got a larini on mine, with standard cat. Lovely burble at low revs and roars its head off higher up the rev range.

Wouldnt of said it's anywhere near the 105db limit on most tracks though!

Have you still got pre-cat in place? I'm considering getting rid of this first to see how it sounds, perhaps with a little bit of airbox modification - that might be enough. Although I think just the larini backbox is still too quiet I don't want to get quite as "race-car" as my old bike-engined Fury with it's totally empty silencer.

My car has the full Larini system on it, and Kent isn't that far away. If you want to hear what mines sounds like you'd be welcome to pop up / meet me somewhere and have a listen?

Depends how desperate you are to change?

G

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users