Posted Image

#2 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

Price and availability is what will rule out an LSx conversion. It would be awesome though. Last LSx I had anything to do with went in a camaro and was putting out 1200 bhp. Imagine that in a VX!!!!

#3 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

LS9, a subtle 600bhp... as in the red Venom. Or LS3 (I think) with two terbows for a lairly 1200bhp as in the soon to be finished Yellow Venom

#4 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:58 PM

Same engine I am looking to put in the omega estate ;) which I guess is more vaux than the other option RS4 lump LS2 version With some cams and solid lifters they do sound a bit special :P THe project is SOOOO wrong but SOOO right also DG

#5 14500rpm

14500rpm

• PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:Boobs, Cars. Motorcycles.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:19 PM

I did look at this briefly a while ago, it looks like there is an F23 gearbox that does bolt up to the LS4 variant of the LS engine line - this motor is only a 5.3L but has a different bellhousing pattern to 'normal' LS's, has a shorter crank and some other stuff and is designed from front wheel drive applications (Pontiac GXP). The problem is that the suitable gearbox doesn't have the same mounts as required in a VX so I gave it up as a bad idea.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 14500rpm

14500rpm

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:23 PM

Oh yeah - the starter motor looked like it could be fun as well as it lives on the gearbox rather than the engine. I guess you could use the LS4 gearbox and fab up a new mount to put it in the same place as the VX's F23, but not sure how this would leave you for bulkhead clearance, you'd really need an engine and gearbox to hand to size it up really and although these engines are quite cheap (no one wants them) they are cheap enough to import on the off chance that it fits.

#7 Ground Effect

Ground Effect

• Pip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Crackle Free Vinyl, The Universe and how the fcuk we got here :-l

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:09 PM

It will fit, you just have to buy one ;)

GM state 250KGs with 350BHP and 365lb-ft for the crate engine V8 spec link

or they do a ls3 with 460BHP with an ECU thrown in that has FBW throttle for 7.5K ;)
V8 spec link

A second hand tuned ls1 with a carb would be light (after being chopped down to fit),cheap,ish, and plenty quick enough :P

Perfect summer project for us all to read about :poke:

Sam.

#8 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:53 PM

the Y32SE V6 must go into the VX, quite a had to come by engine mind.. only in late speck omega... same stud pattern on gear box TV says :unsure:

#9 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:13 AM

Boost performance do some good LS1 stuff (www.boostperformance.co.uk I think) and not too dear.

#10 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:37 AM

the Y32SE V6 must go into the VX, quite a had to come by engine mind.. only in late speck omega... same stud pattern on gear box TV says :unsure:

You want the Z32SE rather than the Y apparently - both are very similar, but the Y is designed for longditudinal installation (RWD - Omega), where as the Z is suited for Transverse (FWD - Vectra).

I've been looking into this, gathering pictures to get an ideal of relative size to the Z22SE. Looking promissing, but very little info on the web... Hey, it fits in a Corsa, so must fit in a VX...

#11 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:50 AM

but unless turbocharged, GM V6's are just utter dog turd :(

#12 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:56 AM

if you are handy with a tig, then making the exhaust headers match to the exhaust system is part of the fun

#13 Ground Effect

Ground Effect

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

For a minute there i thought someone was going to put a LSx into an S2 elise but the guy seems to have changed his mind and gone for a GM V6

LSx thoughts link

LSx thoughts 2 link

GM V6 thread

He seems a bit obsessed with power figures and no pictures of any work or the LS4 & gearbox not fitting in the engine bay but there might still be some info on the engine/gearbox to be gained from the thread for someone :unsure:

I still think a 4.6 Rover V8 with wildcat heads/throttlebodies on would be just as good :P

Wildcat Stuff

Sam.

#14 14500rpm

14500rpm

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:01 AM

For a minute there i thought someone was going to put a LSx into an S2 elise but the guy seems to have changed his mind and gone for a GM V6

LSx thoughts link

LSx thoughts 2 link

GM V6 thread

He seems a bit obsessed with power figures and no pictures of any work or the LS4 & gearbox not fitting in the engine bay but there might still be some info on the engine/gearbox to be gained from the thread for someone :unsure:

I still think a 4.6 Rover V8 with wildcat heads/throttlebodies on would be just as good :P

Wildcat Stuff

Sam.

I agree, especially as its already been done thumbsup

A nice revvy 4.0 with Real Steels Merlin cylinder heads and a cam would push a VX down the road quite nicely for not a ton of cash.

Edited to add, the LS4 is a bit of a wanky old thing if I'm honest.

Edited by 14500rpm, 18 June 2011 - 09:02 AM.

#15 Ground Effect

Ground Effect

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:02 PM

Someone here should buy this -
E-bay uk

Take a chance and dont rebuild it and its a nice 350bhp / 365lb/ft N/A power for not alot of cash :)
It would seem from reading up on ls1tech website these weigh 180KGs without any ancillaries on. Im sure an F23 box would cope with the torque, all you would need is an engine mount,adaptor plate,catalytic exhaust and alot of time to figure out the wiring :P

Sam.

#16 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:55 PM

Was going to mention that this won't bolt up to a GM FWD box (e.g. F23), and I personnally think it would be too long... I even think the LS4 might be slightly too long (just). Surprised about the weight though, as I read else where that the LS4 was coming in at around 220kg fully equipped.

#17 carpmart

carpmart

• Pip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Superlite racing which I compete in, carp fishing, performance cars, football

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:53 PM

I hope someone does this ........................................................... ............................................. just so I can copy the installation design :)

#18 Ground Effect

Ground Effect

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:15 PM

The LS1 is 642mm long from bellhousing face to the end of the pulley. The stock rover v8 is longer than the stock LS1 with the water pumps left on, so like we did with the rover v8 you would have to lose the water pump and run a electric one. The LS1 is pretty much the same width 520mm(rocker to rocker cover)give or take a few mill (if you move the alternator down to the bottom somewere like we did on the rover v8) and the height of the LS1 is around 125mm less. Im guessing that most of that height is lost from the top with the super low inlet setup, so no boot mods needed. The main problem is will the starter motor be in the way of the driveshaft as it looks like the LS1 starter motor is alot lower down than the rover v8. I,ve seen a few pictures of LS1s with thinner harmonic balancer pulleys on which would give you even more room :unsure: The stock manifolds are pointing in the right direction too :P You would be doing fecking well to get it even close to 900KGs tho with the extra engine weight and with 2 cats on. Next time i get a chance i,ll measure the rover v8 bellhousing to pulley length. Sam.

#19 Ground Effect

Ground Effect

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:26 PM

Was going to mention that this won't bolt up to a GM FWD box (e.g. F23), and I personnally think it would be too long... I even think the LS4 might be slightly too long (just).

Surprised about the weight though, as I read else where that the LS4 was coming in at around 220kg fully equipped.

Nope it would need an adapter plate and the rover v8 was too long too but it goes in if you mod the water pump housing.
180KGs/380lbs was the long engine weight, add the starter motor,alternator,brackets,inlet etc to that, at least 20KGs i would of thought.

Sam.

#20 Ground Effect

Ground Effect

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:47 PM

Boost performance do some good LS1 stuff (www.boostperformance.co.uk I think) and not too dear.

That water pump casting they do for the electric water pump looks like it was made for a vx conversion, fantastic chinky chinky

Sam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users