• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:59 PM

Wellllll as with most of you the heater is a bit kak, mine was actually not working at all due to all the air leaking round the sides of the std heater box. When trying to remove it in Jan last year it came out in many pieces so repair was well off the cards (note it had taken nearly 3 years to get the desire/urge to fix the heater :lol:). cue project new heater.

So I salvaged the matrix as thats fine and dandy.
Took measurements of the resistor wires to replace with proper resistors (apologies I cant remember the values of the std wires but they are on here in general somewhere if you use the search function :) )
Found a coaxial blower on Merlin motorsports site (http://www.merlinmot...oduct_info.html)
And got on it.... SLOWLY :lol:

A piece of 2*4 (well ok 47*100(ish)mm)) square edged timber came to call for making the 'spacer' to represent the matrix, then a piece to make a taper from one side of the matrix to a hole sawn piece for a hose outlet. Similar was done for the other side of the matrix but didnt include the spacer plate.

The initial idea was to vacuum form the thing but alas no where wanted to do it for less than £100+vat per unit and wanted a big order... twats. And my matey was hard to tie up with :lol:
So GRP was the next answer but being a :blink: at the whole concept it took me a while to sort it out, and of course the weather needed to be acceptable.

I used some non llllloyds approved resin, some combination mat, some tissue and 50mm Kevlar tape for the job. Oh and pikey release agent of vaseline and tin foil (tin foil liner to the grp to keep some heat in)

piccys. OBV the items need tidying up and the matrix mounting then bonding the other side.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

not bad for a 'first' go at making shizzle in GRP, the Kevlar is round the outlet pipes to add a little extra strength :)

#2 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:03 PM

oh and yes that is gaffer tape on the molds to give them a uniform finish :)

#3 RobNA

RobNA

RobSC :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:11 PM

Just in time for summer thumbsup

#4 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

prefect timing :D given the summer we had last year it will be needed :lol:

#5 Code Monkey

Code Monkey

forum whore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:50 PM

worth considering with doing all of this, to improve the pipe work as well. Best solution I have found is black drainpipe connections. 2 60degree bends and a straight covers all will need.

#6 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:59 PM

worth considering with doing all of this, to improve the pipe work as well. Best solution I have found is black drainpipe connections. 2 60degree bends and a straight covers all will need.

total pipework reroute as nothing will lineup anymore ;)

#7 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:41 PM

Good work there chief. Not a bad first go with the grp too. Guess this means you'll be blowing hot air as usual? (sorry, couldn't help myself)

#8 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

:lol: smaller part was really easy, but the bigger bit with more curves was much harder, hence crappier looking :lol: might try some plain weave glass cloth for another go if its needed.

#9 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

The cloth you have looks like trplex material. Best for closed mould stuff. Rather than plain weave, try 2x2 twill weave as it moulds pretty well. Alternatively got for CSM filth. Not the pretiest but moves round corners easily.

#10 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

Interesting forms... Are you planning to use the "footwell holes" as heater outlets? Iinteresting site for you: http://www.cbsonline...heatac-95-c.asp (They even sell a universal aircon module that looks like a fit for a VX/Elise :rolleyes:)

#11 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:30 PM

FLD, its polyester stitched Combination mat with roving on the woven side... very hardcore :lol: but my mate gave me a load for free. I was trying to avoid CSM as its a dirty bastid :lol: The air will be going back into the cabin the 'normal' way. IIRC the footwell holes vent straight to the steering rack area and no where near the heater/battery compartment.

#12 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

Interesting forms...
Are you planning to use the "footwell holes" as heater outlets?

Iinteresting site for you: http://www.cbsonline...heatac-95-c.asp
(They even sell a universal aircon module that looks like a fit for a VX/Elise :rolleyes:)

Bugger the heater mod, get 2 of these from them.
One for the windscreen and the other for the rest of the car :D

#13 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:21 PM

A disposable cigarette lighter would be of more use than those heaters.

#14 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:07 PM

I had one of those demisters in a nova once..... suffice to say I still couldnt see out of the windscreen :lol:

#15 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

The air will be going back into the cabin the 'normal' way. IIRC the footwell holes vent straight to the steering rack area and no where near the heater/battery compartment.

The footwell holes are located between the steering rack tube and the lower tube, so a direct path to the battery/heater area.. :closedeyes:
I'm still thinking of using this route for better heating.

#16 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:39 PM

Just thought... woven cloth delaminates if your not too careful and your using polyester resin. Epoxy is OK. You can use a layer of CSM between woven layers to make it bond better. Briwax is a good release agent too. If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Matt

#17 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:12 PM

The air will be going back into the cabin the 'normal' way. IIRC the footwell holes vent straight to the steering rack area and no where near the heater/battery compartment.

The footwell holes are located between the steering rack tube and the lower tube, so a direct path to the battery/heater area.. :closedeyes:
I'm still thinking of using this route for better heating.

that would require boxing in so to speak to stop cold air getting in... tbh its easier to tape the holes up and use the regular heater feed imho.

Matt, I read that the woven stuff can delaminate, but since its not under a lot (any) of stress I cant see why it would? and aslong as the tissue underneath dosent leak it will still be airtight :lol:
If it works well then I might knock a few up with either straight CSM or try going all kevlar as its not 'hugely' expensive although its a slut to hold the resin while curing.

#18 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:02 PM

Right had a bit of time this weekend to trim the excess off, get the holes drilled for the matrix pipes, added some filler/bonding paste to any 'over keen' trimming and also to glue the two halves together.

Shes not pretty but a little attack with the flap wheel should see it looking tollerable.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

note the extra filler (the brown stuff) on the top for the pipes.... I school boy errored and got the pipe holes the wrong way round :lol:
The filler is ace, its a polyester resin with glass ground into it and its bright green in the tin and goes that browny colour when its set... saves poking it to see if its done :D

#19 RobNA

RobNA

RobSC :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

Getting there thumbsup Now hurry up and get it fitted ;)

#20 TIP

TIP

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:cars. sci-fi, rum, bass, sheds, making stuff, fixing other stuff (mainly plastic vauxhalls) and other geeky bloke stuff

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

bit late now but I've got a Vac former at work that would properly manage forms that size. but if you want some made up in 2mm HIPS???? also how does the co-ax fan feel on full blast? is it significantly stronger than the standard fan? grand idea!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users