Anti Lock Brakes

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 exjagman

exjagman

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Interests:Just for the record, i'm not Welsh! - so no sheep jokes bahhh - interests - cycling, walking, photography, F1

Posted 22 November 2003 - 10:18 PM

Out this afternoon taking a buddy out on a spin through the Elan Valley, blasting along the nice twisty bits, a sheep decided to play chicken with me and wanders into the road turning his head looking straight into our eyes :o as if to say "what you gonna do now?" No space to steer round I hit the anchors hard and come to a stop about two yards short of our wooley friend. We stopped, BUT the anti-lock brakes pulsated just once as I was almost stopped. I had to use the ABS on the Jag earlier this year and it cut in like a machine gun pulsating vigorously. The same with my Discovery when I stopped for a pussy! ;) I decided to test the brakes after that, and each time the pulse was very slow, like about three slow pulses max however hard I stood on the brake pedal. The conditions were practically dry, so either the brakes and tyres are so excellent that the ABS was almost redundant or the ABS aint as good as other motors? Does it work differently on a soaked road? I'm more curious about the system than anything. Has anyone else had to put it to the test?

#2 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 22 November 2003 - 10:26 PM

As you have the VXT, you have the modified version that most of us N/A owners have upgraded to. I can tell you that the version you have is far better, cutting in only when necessary. With the original VX version that sheep would be mutton now! :o :blink: :D

#3 exjagman

exjagman

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Interests:Just for the record, i'm not Welsh! - so no sheep jokes bahhh - interests - cycling, walking, photography, F1

Posted 22 November 2003 - 10:33 PM

that would have been a good excuse for sheep skin covers and turbo-barbequed mutton! Sounds like it was working properly and oodles of grip did the rest :rolleyes:

#4 mitch

mitch

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 10:36 PM

I agree with speedyk, I had the ABS upgrade and now you can lock the brakes just momentarily, the old ABS would'nt let get do that at all. The brakes are really good now. Mitch

#5 exjagman

exjagman

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 10:45 PM

Every time I drive this car I get more impressed. I'm taking it easy (ish) on damp or wet roads, especially after hearing of the numerous roundabout incidents! Really looking forward to Hethel, especially if the conditions are not perfect B)

#6 R1 nur

R1 nur

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Interests:Aerobatics, Cars, Bikes, Birds, having fun.

Posted 22 November 2003 - 10:48 PM

I agree with speedyk, I had the ABS upgrade and now you can lock the brakes just momentarily, the old ABS would'nt let get do that at all. The brakes are really good now.

Mitch

Beg to differ here. The brakes are OK but the ABS sucks on anything less than and very smooth road.

ABS has prevented one incident for me in the VX but nearly caused at least 2 others before I adapted my driving style.

#7 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 10:54 PM

Beg to differ here. The brakes are OK but the ABS sucks on anything less than and very smooth road.

ABS has prevented one incident for me in the VX but nearly caused at least 2 others before I adapted my driving style.

:P

You tried a standard N/A? If you think the VXT set-up is questionable, you're in for an (unpleasant) surprise.

Orig. set-up was a huge disadvantage on track. With VXT-style upgrade now no longer feel a need to do ABS switch-off mod.

Intend to get the 4-pot upgrade and wider rims and rubber, then see if ABS disturbs.

#8 R1 nur

R1 nur

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 11:00 PM

Even Rockstar who was involved in the development admited the ABS was a bodge job. Thorney has a VXT and he invented the ABS cut-off! I do not deny the original N/A ABS was worse, but I stand by my comments Speedy. Sorry. ;)

Edited by R1_NUR, 22 November 2003 - 11:01 PM.

#9 stuntman

stuntman

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit, performance poetry, rock music and proper driving

Posted 22 November 2003 - 11:02 PM

I agree with R1 - the ABS on my VXT cuts in much earlier than the other cars I have had which had ABS (Megane Coupe 16v, TTC225, E46 M3). Especially when it's bumpy and downhill. Oh -apart from the ABS in a Corsa 1.8 SRi ;) I think you have to modify your driving style - don't stand on the pedal straight away, instead be firm but progressive. Ultimate braking capability is pretty darn good bur you can't just stand on the pedal like you can in some other cars. In due course you learn a better braking technique which stands you in good stead when (yes when, everyone who owns a VX should do this :D ) you take your car round a track :) Stunters

#10 exjagman

exjagman

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 11:12 PM

Sounds like I should adopt my old braking style with the VX - they hadn't even invented ABS when I learnt to drive! :lol:

#11 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 11:22 PM

I do not deny the original N/A ABS was worse, but I stand by my comments Speedy. Sorry. ;)

No need to apologise! :D

If I thought the set-up was world-class, I wouldn't be looking to upgrade.

But put it this way – with the orig. set-up on track, the ABS was the biggest restriction in my little battles against various Porsche. With the upgrade, I find I am no longer at such a disadvantage in slowing – the problem is clearly now speeding up on the straights! But that needs quite another solution. ;)

#12 stu harris1

stu harris1

• Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 08:56 PM

Stop 2 very minor points : i)Rockstar had little to do with setting this car up ii) The only ABS that works well on a track is sitting on the Opel DTM Calibras (RIP) etc.... Carry On Stu

#13 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 23 November 2003 - 09:05 PM

ii) The only ABS that works well on a track is sitting on the Opel DTM Calibras (RIP)

ooooh oooh can I have that then ;) :P

Oh and whilst I'd like to say I invented the cut off switch credit has to go to the Palmersport boys (I just polished the idea a bit ;) )

#14 R1 nur

R1 nur

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 09:18 PM

Stop

2 very minor points :

i)Rockstar had little to do with setting this car up
ii) The only ABS that works well on a track is sitting on the Opel DTM Calibras (RIP) etc....

Carry On

Stu

So Stu - what do YOU honestly think of the ABS?

Upgraded or not...

cheers

#15 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 09:21 PM

And is the 4-pot AP Racing set-up a good choice for track use? Also, would you recommend switching off the ABS for finer dosage – I appreciate that such a move would be "at my own risk"?

#16 stu harris1

stu harris1

• Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 09:21 PM

Honestly, on the road its fine. On the track.....well you don't see the Sprint with ABS do you :)) Stu

#17 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 09:25 PM

On the track.....well you don't see the Sprint with ABS do you :))

OK, I'll take that as a "Switch it off for track uasge" :)

#18 R1 nur

R1 nur

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 09:35 PM

And Stu, any news on the Sprint Spec yet? Miltek, Charge Cooler? Imnotworthy

#19 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 23 November 2003 - 09:41 PM

I can confirm the 4 pot AP set up is blinding on a track, probably the best I've ever used (which is why I'm trying so hard to get the same on my car ;) ) IMO the frequency for the ABS is far too slow but I don't think the ABS unit can be re-programmed to increase this. One final thing, ABS on a track is a good thing, but only if it can be set to a variable (and high) frequency.

#20 barrybethel

barrybethel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 09:44 PM

I agree abs on n/a's is shite. YOU can take the fuse out for the track and it transforms the car. Costs nothing too which makes a nice change. Disables the speedo aswell on n/a's though. Switchable better but costs dosh.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users