Anti Lock Brakes

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 andym172

andym172

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything and everything...<br>Get bored too easily so don't have a specific 'interest'.

Posted 28 November 2003 - 08:55 PM

Mine's got the upgraded ABS software - IMHO it's still crap! Don't like it at all...

#42 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 09:52 AM

Mine's got the upgraded ABS software - IMHO it's still crap!

Don't like it at all...

same here - in all honesty I'm not sure they even did the upgrade. I have the receipt for it but other people talk about being able to momentarily lockup the fronts before it kicks in - not me, still the same old judder judder judder when I feel like I should be able to get more braking force out of them.

Is there any way to tell for sure? I vaguely remember someone saying something about a white spot on the ABS unit. I have nothing on mine.

#43 Bengie

Bengie

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 12:19 PM

I think mine has a yellow spot on the top of it... I'd look, but it's raining, lots and lots... Maybe we can do a contrast and compare at Hethel... cheers

#44 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 01:32 PM

Mine's definitely got the upgrade - in the wet you can feel it lock up for long enough for you to be able to modulate braking yourself if you're quick. I'd most definitely agree with the comments about applying the brakes progressively, particularly on bumpy roads. Most of the roads I blast around are pretty awful, and I had a couple of heart-in-mouth moments early on when the ABS kicked in very early and felt like it was drastically increasing stopping distance. But then that's what I'd expect in a car with skinny tyres, little weight at the front end and stiff suspension. However, since learning to apply the brakes more gradually when braking hard, the problem seems to have gone away :) I am wondering what it'll be like on ice though. Last night it was pretty cold around here, and approaching one roundabout I braked pretty moderately, only to feel her slithering around under me. Tried provoking the same thing again later, and it proved quite easy to lock up for a while on ice.

#45 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 29 November 2003 - 08:04 PM

I am wondering what it'll be like on ice though.

Tried provoking the same thing again later, and it proved quite easy to lock up for a while on ice.

:D

If you are on standard rubber, then grip will be pretty minimal. Even winter tyres can't do much on ice.

Talking of winter, with snow at least, you have reasonably good traction due to the weight over the driving wheels but the front will go where ever centrifugal forces want it too unless you keep the speed well down and never make any sudden input (quick steering movement, sudden braking or accelerator application). Reason is lower stickiness of rubber in cold means that, when turning wheel, critical slip angle where adhesion is lost is much smaller. Have to use the racing approach to corner lines – try to straighten them by starting out wide, clipping apex and letting it drift out again but without putting any power on 'till you're absolutely certain its straight and stable. If there are still any centrifugal forces working, any throttle will easily throw you out sideways – IMO this is what's been happening to the majority of the guys who have lost it recently. For some, bad luck with diesel may be the cause.

I've not tried my Speedster in the snow since the ABS upgrade. With the old one I might as well have strapped a couple of skis to the front hubs – I had zero braking basically. :(

Of course, as those who've done will readily agree, there's a lot of fun to be had on any low grip surface hanging out the tail, steering on the throttle, doing 4-wheel drifts, etc. but you only want to try this in wide open spaces with no oncoming traffic as you won't be able to rely on much braking effect if you need it.

Winter motto: Gently does it. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users