• Please log in to reply
1497 replies to this topic

#1 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:03 AM

Thought I would make a new topic as the last one (DTA ecu conversion) is on hold unless this doesn't work. What put me off that was going manual throttle. For information though DTA now do FBW throttle. So here we go. As you know I have been messing around (correct words there :rolleyes: ) trying to get my car sorted for some time what I have so far is.. 1. z20let ecu and immobilizer, base map on already for the Harrop 2. Engine loom which belongs to techieboy, (just borrowing it honestly :D ) and had been modded by Vocky that makes 2x Imnotworthy 3. z20let coil pack, slightly modified to fit the z22se head 4. Porsche TB about which is about 68mm 5. 60 tooth (will be 60-2 when I have the final fitting position worked out) external trigger wheel, Welshjon made it for me Imnotworthy 6. 80mm MAF 7. Map sensor, can't remember what bar we went for in the end. 8. Denso ITV 24 plugs if needed although running ITV20 at the moment 9. S/C Cams 10. 5bar fuel pressure regulator, there if needed 11. 470cc injectors which I am running now but may need to upgrade will have to see how the mapping goes 12. Saab head, but don't think I will get it ported and bigger valves installed in time 12a. other things which I can't remember at the moment.... It's now time to get the finger out as I have a deadline of the 5th May as it goes to Courtenay's for final mapping. One of the items outstanding is the adapter plate to allow me to fit the Porsche Throttle body to the Harrop (or M62 if you run the 68TB) as the hole lay out is the same. The Porsche TB does work ok, tested already, with the Z0let loom and the plug is the same so no messing around there. I have a local company who will make me one up but as I am getting one I might as well get more made up, should be around £25 I have had a couple of requests already but just let me know if anyone wants one, I will get the final price before I order. Also on the horizon is a "help me fit the bits together meet/Barbecue" later this month :D all welcome

#2 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:55 AM

Me Me I will have one

#3 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:06 AM

Bosch Z22YH coil pack fits the z22se engine and has the same connector as the z20let ;)

#4 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:24 AM

Bosch Z22YH coil pack fits the z22se engine and has the same connector as the z20let ;)

Thanks for that thumbsup

Without me digging it out is that the connector on the loom you modded?

#5 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:46 AM

I know the Z22 ecu isn't fully cracked but Courtenays are pretty good at mapping it. Does this ecu have problems when you go for the Harrop supercharger or have you decided to swap for another reason?

#6 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:55 AM

Although the original conversion was 2 years ago now the z22 ecu as you said still isn't fully cracked we had problems with the fueling with the s/c cams installed. Maybe now that can be fixed, not certain but as the z20 is so much more mappable I decided to put in on instead. Also gives me the advantage of still FBW TB and I can still use my scangauge which may help with diagnostics.

#7 cnrandall

cnrandall

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:58 AM

Have a look here: http://www.hofmanns....opa-ecu-upgrade This will fit a VX too. Currently I need to cut the looms but just working on a plug and play version. Much, much better ECU than the DTA.

#8 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

Have a look here: http://www.hofmanns....opa-ecu-upgrade

This will fit a VX too. Currently I need to cut the looms but just working on a plug and play version. Much, much better ECU than the DTA.

Interesting, will keep it in mind if this should fail for any reason ,

#9 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:38 AM

As you lack a camshaft sensor on the 2.2, I assume they removed this from the base-mapping? So you now probably lack the sequential injection and only have "batch injector firing" with the Z20LET ecu on the 2,2??

#10 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:48 AM

As you lack a camshaft sensor on the 2.2, I assume they removed this from the base-mapping?
So you now probably lack the sequential injection and only have "batch injector firing" with the Z20LET ecu on the 2,2??

correct on both accounts, I had toyed with the idea of some sort of cam sensor setup but nothing really came of it

#11 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

As you lack a camshaft sensor on the 2.2, I assume they removed this from the base-mapping?
So you now probably lack the sequential injection and only have "batch injector firing" with the Z20LET ecu on the 2,2??

correct on both accounts, I had toyed with the idea of some sort of cam sensor setup but nothing really came of it

I would have thought that for anything other than a fully race specced engine that semi-sequential / batch firing injectors would be fine. I cant imagine you'd see much difference in performance for the extra setting up required on full sequential firing.

#12 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:27 AM

Probably not much difference in performance, but if needed you can easily bolt the LSJ cam sensor to a Saab head. (Or maybe Saab also has a cam sensor?) But this will not work if you put the short 2.2 cams in there...

#13 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

One option was to weld an extension onto the sc cams but as you say I doubt if there will be much loss can always do it later if needed

#14 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:28 PM

Seemed to ahve found the answer to the trigger wheel angle and where it is measured from 117* BTDC is then measured from the centerline of the first missing tooth Ok Lee will put you down for one, may see the guy tomorrow so hurry if you want one.

#15 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:25 PM

Having trouble getting the Tb adapter plate made in time, my chap can't do it. Also see that I need to raise the crank sensor by about 30mm as the trigger wheel is raided on the lower pulley. It will need to be secure as I don't want any movement messing the timing up, might try some pretty heavy tube.

#16 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:27 PM

if you have a template with dimensions on i can get one made :)

#17 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:44 PM

if you have a template with dimensions on i can get one made :)

Great thumbsup

will get it sorted in the morning, bit tired after wrestling with a steering rack and hubs all day

#18 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

sounds like so much fun :lol:

#19 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:36 AM

One of the things I am doing is putting an external 60-2 trigger wheel on I got the crank sensor bracket from Webcon but need to raise it up to the level of the wheel itself. Webcon use hollow tubes to support the bracket high enough, I seem to remember someone has some trouble with erratic reading with this setup on the Webcon kit due to vibration, anyone remember this and also the permanent solution?

#20 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:21 PM

there isn't a problem with the webcon crank sensor bracket, a few have had corrosion of the connector, but if the sensor loom is attached to the block with a P clip it is fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users