Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

This is the outdoor cover

It instantly turns your car into a silver VX. :lol: Looks great. thumbsup

#22 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:33 PM

Nooooooooooooo. I walked right into that! So its now going in the bin! :lol:

#23 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:38 PM

This is the outdoor cover

:lol:

#24 -JK-

-JK-

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

I've got a Stormforce, used it for about a year. I won't be using it again as my car has bubbled badly and I think the cover is to blame for trapping moisture on the paint. If you do a Google search you'll find loads of stories where people have had their paint bubble due to covers on all kinds of cars.

The material seemed to degrade after about a year and let moisture in so the car was often wet when I removed it. Also, cats seemed to like the feel of it and clawed it, making holes in places. I've now got one of these (www.shower-cap.com/html/index.php) to protect the roof from cats and getting water logged. Cats don't seem to like the feel of it so my roof will be protected but the paint can breathe properly.

Edited by -JK-, 30 May 2011 - 04:51 PM.

#25 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

I've got a Stormforce, used it for about a year. I won't be using it again as my car has bubbled badly and I think the cover is to blame for trapping moisture on the paint. If you do a Google search you'll find loads of stories where people have had their paint bubble due to covers on all kinds of cars.

The material seemed to degrade after about a year and let moisture in so the car was often wet when I removed it. Also, cats seemed to like the feel of it and clawed it, making holes in places. I've now got one of these (www.shower-cap.com/html/index.php) to protect the roof from cats and getting water logged. Cats don't seem to like the feel of it so my roof will be protected but the paint can breathe properly.

? I can't see how the car cover would cause the blistering :unsure:

Any moisture found on the bodywork is likely to be condensation. And whilst paint isn't completely waterproof, I again find it unlikely that this trapped moisture has caused the blistering. It is more likely to be the condensation has frozen and therefore frozen the moisture that is in the GRP resulting in the blistering.

You are far better to use a cover than not. To leave standing water on your car is far more likely to result in not just frost, but thick ice.

#26 -JK-

-JK-

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:11 PM

? I can't see how the car cover would cause the blistering :unsure:

Any moisture found on the bodywork is likely to be condensation. And whilst paint isn't completely waterproof, I again find it unlikely that this trapped moisture has caused the blistering. It is more likely to be the condensation has frozen and therefore frozen the moisture that is in the GRP resulting in the blistering.

You are far better to use a cover than not. To leave standing water on your car is far more likely to result in not just frost, but thick ice.

Most of the blisters I've got are just under the surface of the paint rather than coming up from the GRP. It is these that I believe have been caused by the cover because I've read that lacquer isn't 100% waterproof and moisture will soak in if trapped next to the paint. This is more likely to happen in the little crevices that join the sections of the body (the little crevices between bumper sections and the rest of the clam, for example). This is exactly where I've got bubbles all over the car.

I've also had one bubble where a chunk of GRP fell out and the cover did sod all to stop that, but I think it was due to a poor repair job done by the dealer when I took the car back because a bit of paint was flaking off.

Have a look at this thread. These are the kind of bubbles I've got, although not as bad (and that car isn't even made of GRP!).

Fact is, after a year the Stormfoce cover was no longer waterproof to any meaningful degree and it hadn't been abused. It also caused some of the paint to become cloudy (either moisture or rubbing I suspect). It polished up fine, but I'm not going to risk it again.

Edited by -JK-, 31 May 2011 - 12:18 PM.

#27 salopian

salopian

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:37 PM

OEM VX cover for me. Except I never use it as the car is kept in the garage. Also hard to come by and tend to command high prices as a result.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the outdoor cover but there is also a lovely indoor cotton dust cover. :wub: Not got one of those yet.

Cotton dust cover is great. So cute looks like pyjamas. :rolleyes:

#28 soupdragon

soupdragon

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Revolution

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:39 PM

I've been thinking of getting a perambulator garage I've seen a VX in the medium version. Not cheap but better than your average cover thumbsup http://www.coverssho...garage_cars.htm

#29 soupdragon

soupdragon

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Revolution

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:39 PM

Double post

Edited by soupdragon, 31 May 2011 - 12:39 PM.

#30 Big Steve

Big Steve

Behemothic & Monolithic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:47 PM

Cotton dust cover? I like the sound of that. I never use my car much so a dust cover would save endless hours of... er... dusting. Which, being a geeeeeeeezer and all that, I never do. I've never seen a dust cover for indoors.....

#31 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:05 PM

I've never seen a dust cover for indoors.....

You have now:

Posted Image

:wub:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users