#41 astravxr

astravxr

Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:32 PM

Are we really having this conversation?

Maybe the answer should be:

Sick. Apparently thats the 'in' word with the kids these days?

Im no kid mate, im just learning about the VX220. I've always wanted one but i havent a clue about them, i just dont want to be buying something that is slower than i have thats all. Im a speed freak but far from a boy racer

But you're trying to compare apples with oranges. Whats the point?

The truth is, the VX probably isn't for you. yes, they can be made to accelerate fast and probably go on to high top speeds. But once again you've missed the point. VXs are noisy, tiresome, fragile, uncomfortable and compromised.

If you like to have races with your friends, then you will most likely lose most of the time in a VX. VXs are sensitive to weather and temperature conditions and they are quite tricky to drive at the limit. It sounds to me like you want something in which when you put you foot on the accelerator as far as it will just go, the car picks up and pushes you down the road as quickly as possible. That's fine, its not my thing, but i suspect you'd be better off looking as something four wheel drive with lots of power. A subaru impreza or the evo you mention in your post.

Is a vx faster than an evo? how are you measuring it? the evo will be much much faster in virtually every condition.

The delight comes in making the VX dance. Away from the camera and the supidity that is racing on the road or measuring the car length difference against another hatchback, this is where the VX comes alive. You don't need other cars around you to make comparisions with, its just you and the machine. It gels around you, almost becomes part of you. The controls are so sensitive you can almost think them into doing what you want. wheras the astra is an appliance no more exciting that a waching machine, the VX has soul. Slowly, you learn to desipher its complex messages, and each time you get slightly better at it. You grow with it, while it guides you into bettering yourself if you are prepared to respect it. Get it right and it is utterly delightful.

It isn't fast though.

Thanks. Only reason straight line speed is more important to me is because i never go on track. I've been on a track twice in my life and if only i had more money i'd have a track car, i'd love to do it. So basicly a road car that looks nice and performs well is what im looking for. Im not fussed about the no room in the VX and the rattles etc but i suppose it may not be for me. Shame though as i love these cars

#42 J4EY D

J4EY D

Bob Maloogaloogaloogaloogalooga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

The delight comes in making the VX dance. Away from the camera and the supidity that is racing on the road or measuring the car length difference against another hatchback, this is where the VX comes alive. You don't need other cars around you to make comparisions with, its just you and the machine. It gels around you, almost becomes part of you. The controls are so sensitive you can almost think them into doing what you want. wheras the astra is an appliance no more exciting that a waching machine, the VX has soul. Slowly, you learn to desipher its complex messages, and each time you get slightly better at it. You grow with it, while it guides you into bettering yourself if you are prepared to respect it. Get it right and it is utterly delightful.

I think thats the mushiest post i've ever read on here :P :lol:

I agree though, sounds like astravxr should stick with hatchbacks (no offence), the vx is a completely different beast, its built for the twistys with the odd bit of straight line speed, sounds like you want a car for straight line speed with the odd twisty... go for an evo or scooby or something thumbsup

edit to add: get a passenger ride in one with one of the memberss on here, they'll show you what the vx is all about... maybe you'll end up loving it and loving country lanes Posted Image

Edited by J4EY D, 16 May 2011 - 01:35 PM.

#43 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

how about you do the good old fashioned test drive? or is this a silly thing to say?

#44 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Im no kid mate, im just learning about the VX220. I've always wanted one but i havent a clue about them, i just dont want to be buying something that is slower than i have thats all. Im a speed freak but far from a boy racer

The truth is, the VX probably isn't for you. yes, they can be made to accelerate fast and probably go on to high top speeds. But once again you've missed the point. VXs are noisy, tiresome, fragile, uncomfortable and compromised.

If you like to have races with your friends, then you will most likely lose most of the time in a VX. VXs are sensitive to weather and temperature conditions and they are quite tricky to drive at the limit. It sounds to me like you want something in which when you put you foot on the accelerator as far as it will just go, the car picks up and pushes you down the road as quickly as possible. That's fine, its not my thing, but i suspect you'd be better off looking as something four wheel drive with lots of power. A subaru impreza or the evo you mention in your post.

Is a vx faster than an evo? how are you measuring it? the evo will be much much faster in virtually every condition.

It isn't fast though.

Thanks. Only reason straight line speed is more important to me is because i never go on track. I've been on a track twice in my life and if only i had more money i'd have a track car, i'd love to do it. So basicly a road car that looks nice and performs well is what im looking for. Im not fussed about the no room in the VX and the rattles etc but i suppose it may not be for me. Shame though as i love these cars

Are all the roads round your way straight?

#45 astravxr

astravxr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

It isn't fast though.

Are all the roads round your way straight?

Lol no just full of potholes. Too many police around here to fly around

#46 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:44 PM

The delight comes in making the VX dance. Away from the camera and the supidity that is racing on the road or measuring the car length difference against another hatchback, this is where the VX comes alive. You don't need other cars around you to make comparisions with, its just you and the machine. It gels around you, almost becomes part of you. The controls are so sensitive you can almost think them into doing what you want. wheras the astra is an appliance no more exciting that a washing machine, the VX has soul. Slowly, you learn to decipher its complex messages, and each time you get slightly better at it. You grow with it, while it guides you into bettering yourself if you are prepared to respect it. Get it right and it is utterly delightful.

I think thats the mushiest post i've ever read on here :P :lol:

I may have got a bit carried away :P

#47 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

You tend to find the 'holier than thou brigade'* come out when someone dares to ask about acceleration in a VX. If it was not that important why are so many modified to have 250+ bhp? It is not the only reason for having a VX, but it is nice to have the best of both worlds... a ridiculously quick car in a straight line that can also live with most cars this side of track day specials round bends. * most have a little less than 150 bhp under their right foot, enough said :P

#48 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

Find a local owner. Bag a shot. Job done.

Edited by LazyDonkey, 16 May 2011 - 01:49 PM.

#49 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:14 PM

AstraVxr, try not to let some of these people put you off. The VX220 can be a devestatingly fast car in a straight or curved line. A normal VXT is only 930 Kg, so it is both agile and nippy. As you already know it doent take a huge amount of work to get one to stage 4. To answer your original question, I would imagine a stage 2 VXT220 would beat your Astra VXR in a straight lin. As someone has already correctly stated, the VX is quite easily affected by the weather (hot, cold, wet, windy etc). Also, the type of suspension you have will greatly change the cars dynamics. I have very firm suspension on my car which means its no faster than a standard rep car on a very bumpy road as it jiggles a huge amount. However I could return it to weaker shocks to improve handling on the bumps at the expense of losing handling on smooth tarmac. Whatever suspension you were to chose would dictate this. The best bet is to get a PSX ride off a couple of people and judge for yourself. Ask around on another thread for locals, or possibly go to a VX meet and beg a ride or 2, most VX people are more friendly than some of the responses above :mellow: There is not shame in liking to go fast in the straight(ish) line IMO. :)

Edited by Nev, 16 May 2011 - 02:15 PM.

#50 2.2_na

2.2_na

No Compromise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

Im not a track person and like i said before im not a boy racer ..............Im just trying to find out weather a VX220 stage 2 + would be faster than my VXR after 80mph

If you're not a track person (...and also not a boy racer) then why are you concerned about the speed of cars above 80mph? :rolleyes:

#51 astravxr

astravxr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:25 PM

Im not a track person and like i said before im not a boy racer ..............Im just trying to find out weather a VX220 stage 2 + would be faster than my VXR after 80mph

If you're not a track person (...and also not a boy racer) then why are you concerned about the speed of cars above 80mph? :rolleyes:

Because i like to go fast now and then. Yes im a bad bad boy and i go over the speed limit when the time is right. But... im no boy racer :) My dad who is 56 drives a M5 and he went to 100mph randomly whilst i was in it for a little thrill but i suppose hes a boy racer lol

Edited by astravxr, 16 May 2011 - 02:26 PM.

#52 Seb.F

Seb.F

Under Your Bed

• 6,045 posts
  • Interests:Tech head

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:34 PM

Put it this way, the Z20LET engine is put in Astra's too if I'm not mistaken, now, imagine it being put in a rear wheel drive bathtub that weighs incredibly small amounts in comparison. Now try to picture how quick it might be.

#53 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:49 PM

My Dad went 100mph in a Rover once, I must have a word with him about that :lol:

#54 2.2_na

2.2_na

No Compromise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:51 PM

im a bad bad boy and i go over the speed limit when the time is right. But... im no boy racer :) My dad who is 56 drives a M5 and he went to 100mph randomly whilst i was in it for a little thrill but i suppose hes a boy racer lol

Oh, that makes it ok then?! :unsure:

#55 J4EY D

J4EY D

Bob Maloogaloogaloogaloogalooga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:53 PM

im a bad bad boy and i go over the speed limit when the time is right. But... im no boy racer :) My dad who is 56 drives a M5 and he went to 100mph randomly whilst i was in it for a little thrill but i suppose hes a boy racer lol

Oh, that makes it ok then?! :unsure:

Of course it does... we all know BMW owners own the roads :P

Edit: I dont know why i said that, my old man has a BMW and constantly speeds :lol:

Edited by J4EY D, 16 May 2011 - 02:54 PM.

#56 2.2_na

2.2_na

No Compromise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:01 PM

Put it this way, the Z20LET engine is put in Astra's too if I'm not mistaken, now, imagine it being put in a rear wheel drive bathtub that weighs incredibly small amounts in comparison. Now try to picture how quick it might be.

:yeahthat:

The Z22SE is also put in this rather larger vehicle too.

Posted Image

#57 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:06 PM

For those saying 'hot hatches' are shite..... try driving some of them :lol: On the road a clio182 IS a better (read that as faster/more of a giggle/you can be a total coont with it and the road surface wont make the car bite you etc) car than a VX; granted thats not uber booooooooooost cases but frankly boost is a tedious/cheats way to make power :lol:

#58 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:08 PM

My Dad went 100mph in a Rover once, I must have a word with him about that :lol:

You should, sounds like his speedo is broken :lol:

#59 Seb.F

Seb.F

Under Your Bed

• 6,045 posts
  • Interests:Tech head

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:20 PM

For those saying 'hot hatches' are shite..... try driving some of them :lol:

I have, most of them (I am still baffled how they let me drive a brand new FN2 Type R at 19 years old without even coming with me)! They're not 'shite', they're just not a drivers car. It doesn't mean they're not fun, but they definately don't communicate the same level of feel through the chassis as a VX does.

#60 denno

denno

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

You tend to find the 'holier than thou brigade'* come out when someone dares to ask about acceleration in a VX. If it was not that important why are so many modified to have 250+ bhp? It is not the only reason for having a VX, but it is nice to have the best of both worlds... a ridiculously quick car in a straight line that can also live with most cars this side of track day specials round bends.

* most have a little less than 150 bhp under their right foot, enough said :P

Agree with this, don't get why people get touchy about straight line speed queries. Yes it might not be what the vx is all about 'out of the box' but there are plenty of tuned vx's on here , probably more so than there are standard ones and they are very fast in a straight line. Best of both worlds really as a vx looks nicer then any hot hatch/evo/scooby and can more than show them a clean pair of heels in the bends or straights when tuned. You wouldn't be at all disapointed of the straight line speed of a stage 2 upwards compared to your vxr, plus it will handle better, look better and feel better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users